• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much more throw does the Lumenite give compared to Tiny nugget/Tank? Is it quite significant or kinda noticeable?

Also does Frazlabs ship to Malaysia? Payment and shipping method?

Thanks

Last edited:

TheFraz

Enlightened
If you don't mind my asking, how many of those are tiny nugget 21700?

Tiny Nugget goes up to 18650. The Lumenite is 21700.

New addition after this last week of machining is Tiny Nugget in 21700 :D. It is coming real close to the ideal worklight imo. The large capacity in a relatively small package is becoming something I use more and more over over the other offerings. We made 4 I believe that we're anodizing/assembling now.

How much more throw does the Lumenite give compared to Tiny nugget/Tank? Is it quite significant or kinda noticeable?

Also does Frazlabs ship to Malaysia? Payment and shipping method?

Thanks

We can definitely check on shipping (it will be additional $, but will have to check for how much).

vand3537

Newly Enlightened
New addition after this last week of machining is Tiny Nugget in 21700 :D. It is coming real close to the ideal worklight imo. The large capacity in a relatively small package is becoming something I use more and more over over the other offerings. We made 4 I believe that we're anodizing/assembling now.

:twothumbs

wolfstyle

Enlightened
I'd like to be added to the list for a Tiny Nugget in 21700 with 4000K LED. Also an 18350 Tiny Nugget battery tube if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

discoverEDC

Enlightened
Fraz or speckacuda, random questions: Do you special order the Tiny Nugget/Tank optics? The carclo optics have that alignment tab which may or may not get in the way of the seal. Just thinking about optic replacement if needed. Have you tried the 4.35 volt batteries? They look like a good way to extend run time, as long as they don't fry the emitter. I haven't seen them in smaller sizes than 18650 but they will get there eventually. Finally, how's the anodising going? I'm starting to develop a little buck fever here. LOL
Walt

discoverEDC

Enlightened
is there a possibility of the LED being over run on these?

Fraz has stated that there is enough resistance in the system, springs & etc, to prevent that from happening. When I get time I'll see if I can find the post he mentioned it in. Ok, look at Posts 702-704. Your question is related to maximum amp draw and heat generation.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Am I the only one who's wondering why nobody has come up with this and ran with it before? Seriously they really are a game changer in lights.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easy way to change how a light acts is by changing the electronics. Fraz focused on the mechanical solution; perhaps more complicated initially, but more reliable. To me, it's elegant in it's simplicity.

Am I the only one who's wondering why nobody has come up with this and ran with it before? Seriously they really are a game changer in lights.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Fraz or speckacuda, random questions: Do you special order the Tiny Nugget/Tank optics? The carclo optics have that alignment tab which may or may not get in the way of the seal. Just thinking about optic replacement if needed. Have you tried the 4.35 volt batteries? They look like a good way to extend run time, as long as they don't fry the emitter. I haven't seen them in smaller sizes than 18650 but they will get there eventually. Finally, how's the anodising going? I'm starting to develop a little buck fever here. LOL
Walt

Hey Walt! There is a spot machined into the body of the engine designed for those optics, so the engine works with all the 27mm carclo (pic attached below showing the spot for the optic tab on the left side above the machine screw). The optic sits down in that recession and the o-ring actually makes contact with the optic directly, so the tab doesn't interfere with water incursion. Haven't tried a 4.35 battery out yet, but I'll definitely order one tonight and give it a shot. Ha! Anodizing is going good - slow but sure (probably my least favorite part of the process and one of the first things we're going to streamline).
th8L0BE.jpg

is there a possibility of the LED being over run on these?

Fraz has stated that there is enough resistance in the system, springs & etc, to prevent that from happening. When I get time I'll see if I can find the post he mentioned it in. Ok, look at Posts 702-704. Your question is related to maximum amp draw and heat generation.

EDC is correct, mechanical resistance is built into the system to avoid overrunning. With the extra emphasis on heatsinking and the resistance springs, we haven't had one overrun yet.

TheFraz

Enlightened

I've got a pretty good idea as to why :D. Going into this, I really had no idea how difficult it would be to make something minimal and reliable with all custom components (not to mention repeatability and assembly). It was certainly a twisting road getting the design to the point it is today. A lot of the parts are actually extremely complicated to manufacture and prototype initially, but definitely worth it once the design starts becoming polished. I really look forward to wireless 2.0 coming out to see what you guys think of it :D.

The easy way to change how a light acts is by changing the electronics. Fraz focused on the mechanical solution; perhaps more complicated initially, but more reliable. To me, it's elegant in it's simplicity.

Exactly it. As one observer put it (and Speck's favorite saying now). "Well, it looks like you're making an extremely complex very simple part." And that's it, most of the parts in the light are minimal, but most serve to solve several problems at once, thus removing band-aid fixes and making the light more fail-safe.

jtechl

Newly Enlightened
really curious what the specific differences between the Tiny Nugget and the Tiny Tank are!

Im tempted to get one of them but I dont know which one yet!

vand3537

Newly Enlightened
Darn I was too slow, Tiny nugget 21700 OOS in less than 30 minutes. how long until the next batch?

Last edited:

discoverEDC

Enlightened
Fraz, thanks for the update. I never noticed that little pocket milled in that location. Now that I know where to look I can see it in other pictures. Mountain Electronics has the LG ICR18650E1 - 18650 - 3200mAh 4.35v
Walt