• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
WALL-E. What on earth is under that optic?

It's one of my red shop cloths, I use them to wipe chips off the parts after they come off the mill. It really hammered home the 'Terminator' vibe. If anyone is interested, I will take another when it's doing its job of holding parts the mill - it screams 'WALL-E' and give a great glimpse of how all y'alls engines (among other parts) will be made in the future!

TheFraz

Enlightened
Update:

Just finished a shop week and had some (hopefully) fantastic progress in the form of a great new evolution in the design. This is currently not for sale as it undergoes torture testing etc.

The new design is a kind of throwback to our first model that went on sale years ago. The original concept was a design so simple (aesthetically) it didn't even have a bezel - just two pieces that rotated to adjust brightness. That concept was very difficult to replicate with the new user-LED-replaceable 'wireless' design. That old design also did not have a user-replaceable QTC piston and was just clunky in general. This new model (if it holds up to our smash testing) will drastically reduce the time it takes to change an LED out by making much easier access to the fastening components. In my opinion it also looks cool - and now only has 2 possible points of water incursion....at the optic, and at the battery tube. Which are both water-sealed tight. Getting rid of the battery tube tail cap and bezel on the front feels real good. Machining them however was a nightmare at first.

Here are some pics of the unanodized components. We will get back home tomorrow and anodize them and have some fun/tears torture-testing them.

ARCAKwE.jpg

s5gj5tn.jpg

vhDXpUN.jpg

This design also opens up some other interesting possibilities in the form of optic options....hopefully. We'll be back with video of some torture testing (and the ever-elusive LED change video) soon.

-Fraz

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Crawled out of the shop around 11:30PM tonight, as this was prototype week! Nothing I say could describe the process, but if you slam your hand in a car door every day for a week it's a close second...

Also, I'm pretty sure I shaved several years off my life this week for various reasons, as well as gained more than a few gray hairs. Balance is good, right?

All jokes aside, I want opinions!! Do y'all like the ascending milling marks on the engines, or do y'all like them all on the same level (like Fraz's photos above on the new prototype, or the current engines)?

Here's a photo for you DiscoverEDC - this is the WALL-E jig (pre-engrave) in action. Here are two engines, straight off the band saw, and two freshly machined. They'll be in y'alls hands after being bead blasted, washed, anodized, and shipped.

eTlw8ad.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The ascending milling marks are nice but I would rather have them all the same length. Aesthetically I think it looks better when marks are all even.

geisto

Newly Enlightened
This new design looks like it will provide good grip for one-hand use. The old lights had checkering which provided a good grip but chews up pockets.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
The ascending milling marks are nice but I would rather have them all the same length. Aesthetically I think it looks better when marks are all even.

+1

Came here to say just this... If the ascending marks indicated a level or something, maybe..

The even lines of Fraz's prototype are much more appealing to me

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ascending marks are more interesting looking and make FrazLights distinctive but I have yet to experience them in-hand. The fluting difference will probably not give better heat release with the longer flutes?

Wondering if the single cell 26650(+) design challenge has been addressed?

Loving the throwback simplicity too! You two make candlepowerforums more interesting.

TheFraz

Enlightened
I think ya'll will like the new design....if it holds up to the battered tree abuse (me and my buddy and Speck throwing the new prototype against a tree for hours). Reminds me of Hellboy squashing a pixie (seems brutal but something that needs to be done...not that the light has teeth).

I've also seen new peeps on reddit discussing the light,..very interesting (many threads now apparently). Makes me appreciate you guys even more than I already did. I am not an electrical engineer.
-Fraz