• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
If we order a tiny tank from now on will it be your new design? One piece body/head?

These are Tiny Nuggets but may be able to arrange that, depending on how the testing goes next week.

Graduated marks are definitely a Fraz Labs hallmark, but the even lines do make it look really smart. Honestly, I don't think you guys could go wrong with either style. Keep up the great work and awesome torture test guys, can't wait to own a tiny tank one of these days.

Thank you for the kind words, as well as the vote!

All you need a 3V LED mounted on a 16mm MCPCB...thats it.

Yep, Geisto is correct - just need an LED on a 16mm MCPCB!

Got mine a few days ago. At first when I was told that the "box' was run out, I almost asked to send without the box. :sssh:
But once I saw the box, I'd have kicked myself if I asked not to send the box. :) I did NOT see the clear tape at first and thought it's the puzzle box of some sorts. :confused:
The laser cut burnt marks are awesome. But then I had to take a few photos to let the photos talk.....

Sorry for the clear tape, we usually use stickers but they were stuck in the Memphis USPS for a week so I had to improvise. Glad you like it otherwise, and thanks so much for sharing photos - that knife is pretty sweet, those scales look awesome!

Mgizler

Enlightened
Love this new design!! Would the engine/led come out of my 18650 tiny nugget in the same manner? I have the two piece head and two piece body. I would like to try and put some different LED's in it.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Love this new design!! Would the engine/led come out of my 18650 tiny nugget in the same manner? I have the two piece head and two piece body. I would like to try and put some different LED's in it.

Thank you! The engine on yours will not come out like this newest one, but you can access the internals through the bezel. From there the internals work much in the same way.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Been radio silent for a bit....but we've been making a lot of good progress during that time. I've got a few pics to share. We completed some more custom parts to the light tonight that we've been trying to design a long time. I believe they will help us slim down the design as well as make it more durable. It's also another step in making the LED much easier to change out.

The new "tabs." Designed to help slim down the radius of the light as well as secure the LED even more firmly into place. They take the place of the washers that were used before:
tAsAWeF.jpg

A Pic of the new 'Slimiline' Tiny Nugget. A kind of throwback to our lights way back in the day. Very minimal on the outside. Although this unit will have the flutes on the battery tube (this is an unanodized and beadblasted only prototype that is fresh of the mill today):
CkggVaP.jpg

Pic of the new Slimline next to the original Tiny Nugget:
AWaS3Qi.jpg

A pic of the new engine that allows the elimination of the bezel:
itSj1Ej.jpg

Engine with optic ring removed to allow easy LED change. Also shows the new contact 'tabs':
Nlssj1b.jpg

Pic of the new light and the throwback it is based on:
xbYRMZR.jpg

Pic showing how much the diameter has been reduced since the original (both these lights use the same optic):
c8pkoTf.jpg

continued next post....

TheFraz

Enlightened
Pic of the new engine next to the original engine. The original engine used a bit of double-sided tape, wire, etc. Also the QTC was very difficult to replace and the LED impossible for an average non-flashaholic:
nrh6Fa1.jpg

This light is still in the process of testing, but is very close (I've been throwing another one all around the shop all day today). The slimline has also allowed us to reduce the overall diameter of the Nugget series while increasing wall thickness. The LED-change time will be reduced as well. The new Tank is gonna be pretty nasty :devil:.

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Here's a better photo of the engine - apologies for the milling marks (don't look at that line, BigBurly912!), we have used the same endmills for the past three years and they're starting to let us know they're ready for retirement... Also, here's a better photo of the bezel end, we have used a Tormach 1100M for all the lights up to this point and we are just now using a Haas MiniMill for production runs (way faster, yet more nerve-wracking). I'm not quite as comfy with it, so here's a bezel that I ran on my old slow girl that looks better, at least from this angle...

HTje0VK.jpg

SecYtZ6.jpg

One more thing - y'all are going to love this light, as it's MUCH easier to change out LEDs with the new system. We've put a lot of talent points into making increasingly small and complicated, yet very simple parts, and it's starting to pay off in the ease of assembly department.

gunga

Flashaholic
Cool. What are the diameter of new vs old?

Edit : can we try one without making the walls thicker? IE as slim as possible? Sure you can't hit it with a golf club, but maybe you can pocket it?

Last edited:

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, good to see you around Gunga!

Edit : can we try one without making the walls thicker? IE as slim as possible? Sure you can't hit it with a golf club, but maybe you can pocket it?

TheFraz

Enlightened
Stunningly outstanding. Slimline yay.

Thank you :D

Love them tabs instead of washers. Any chance we can buy them to retrofit?

It would require a new assembly under the heatsink/engine, but I'll see if we can make it possible.

Phenomenal work guys! Really like that slick design.

Thank you!

Old Tiny Nugget is 1.455" max, new is 1.4" while adding more integrity. I think it is possible to take off another .06", but it is surprising what difference the .05" already makes.

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
I put this little ditty together for y'all showing just how much the flashlights have shrunk since the beginning. It's very difficult to make things slimmer, especially when we are trying to be the toughest light out there.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes. Tough. But what about a slim line model. Slim as possible. I'll bet you'll sell a ton if you can make it even smaller. I don't need to run over my lights. I would like to see qtc in the slimmest light possible.

Also, hi Rush Fan! I'm still alive and loving lights like the Fraz labs!

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away for some time since i got first 18350 Nugget. Now seeing loosing weight...
Hell yeah, need one again but 18500.
And i agree with Gunga, slimmer is better for pocket.

Sent from Tapatalk

Sos24

Enlightened
Been away for some time since i got first 18350 Nugget. Now seeing loosing weight...
Hell yeah, need one again but 18500.
And i agree with Gunga, slimmer is better for pocket.

Sent from Tapatalk

The 18500 Slimline is exactly what I'm wanting when available.

Latest posts