• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ KITROBASKIN - that QT 18650 is just photoshopped in without beam shots :poke::grin2:
As good as it gets: Hard User tweaked the beam cast before deciding to sell it to me.
5A7C077D-C3F3-48FD-A6FC-7C1B4626D02A.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of beam casts with stuff, here is a favorite EagTac D25LC2 mk2 (now relegated to backup in work pack because of the Emisar D1) probably designed for a different LED but has the notable sst20 for decent throw. Check out the ring outside of the hotspot.

4EB5F509-3DC5-4D18-AFBA-967C2A71B632.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really enjoying the ability to use some of my larger diameter, longer protected batteries in this tool.

Getting to know this dimming capability, I used a head strap to enable constant use for over an hour putting together a small cabinet. Sometimes the light intensity wavered, even blinked a couple times. Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of. Occasional brief use seems very normal with a steady light output. This flashlight can go really dim but the consistency seems to be more of an issue at lower adjustments (Thinking all of this has been covered before)

Is it not a good idea to tighten too firmly to get maximum brightness?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
After adjusting the tailcap inner spring base, this Fraz flashlight is wonderfully functioning. Tried a Sony VTC variant and it works so well. Since its arrival, I have used it every evening; just love it. The coating/anodizing is smooth/pleasing to the touch. Edges are radiused to perfection (inner edges both sides of narrower body have a little sharper angle; genius!) It is a wonderful size and solid weight but not too much weight.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm getting hour an a half runtime each evening for a project. Think I've work out the regulating material... light flickers for no reason and doesn't get beyond ~300 lumens.

TentativeMeteorite

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting hour an a half runtime each evening for a project. Think I've work out the regulating material... light flickers for no reason and doesn't get beyond ~300 lumens.
Pop out the holder for the capsule and reseat the capsule on the magnet and then pop the holder back in, it should be back to normal. This happens to me if I twist too far. The capsule will continue working fine after reseating in my experience. Don't even need to flip it over just give it a wiggle or a slight turn.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rarely now does mine flicker after adjusting overall internal length. When setting it down on a table in tailstand mode it will blip once.

Wondering if Tentative Meteorite might do a simple video showing how to reseat. Seems like Fraz had a disassembly video but I just wanted to be sure for the future.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's very simple. Just tap the body upside down on the table. The QTC/holder will fall right out then if you want you can remove the QTC pill and put it back on. I never do. Then using pliers put the QTC holder back on. That's it.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Hmm interesting. Mine never flickers. And I often use it as abmient/aux light, so it stays on sometimes all night.

Berserker26

Newly Enlightened
Mine flickers a little at lower ramp, but only when ramping then it settles in when you stop twisting and there's no flicker.

fulee9999

Enlightened
oh you mean while adjusting it it flickers! yeah, mine does that, I thought while left on. I believe it's normal QTC behaviour, my Logan does that as well.

TentativeMeteorite

Newly Enlightened
It's very simple. Just tap the body upside down on the table. The QTC/holder will fall right out then if you want you can remove the QTC pill and put it back on. I never do. Then using pliers put the QTC holder back on. That's it.
Exactly, or even wide tweezers. It can be done with fingers but it's a pain! The small brass cube pops out, the capsule is a small black disc of rubber that's held in place by a magnet. I just wiggle that black rubber a bit and slot the brass block back into place after. Make sure to note which side of the brass block has the deeper Groove and put it back the same way, or just be ok with breaking in the other side too.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic

I rotated 90 degrees.

Worth noting that the light doesn't get hot anymore when running wide open.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Take the QTC pill out and see if it gets hot. That's supposed to be full power.

Same/slightly less bright than malkoff md2, so maybe 300-400 lumens IIRC.

No heat yet after 10 mins, room temp.

Brightness appears same regardless if 'magic dot' is in there or not. Color is on the green side a decent bit.

Is my emitter cooked? Link for a replacement?

Last edited: