• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What cells were you thinking? Don't you need 6 volts with that setup? I guess you can run 2X123 in it.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same! Just picked one up to be used as my no-brain led swap host. Maybe dumb question, do you guys know if this double LED MCPCB will work in the QT-SS? From what I read it's the correct form factor. I can't find any TIR to match that so I'm more or less committed to using it as a frankenstein LED test mule. Thank you.

As long as you get 3v 5050 LEDs.

I'd opt for a 3535 quad and get a nice looking LED like a 519a. Mix all 4. Do two dedome and 2 domed.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
What cells were you thinking? Don't you need 6 volts with that setup? I guess you can run 2X123 in it.
Not sure if it would work, the link mentioned the xml2 would work with three. If not, I was thinking double 18350 if I had to do 6?

As long as you get 3v 5050 LEDs.

I'd opt for a 3535 quad and get a nice looking LED like a 519a. Mix all 4. Do two dedome and 2 domed.
Thanks for the info! Are there any 3535 quad 16mm mcpcbs? I couldn't find any, I can also see if a 20mm fits when the light arrives.

EDIT: just found this one, but it's non DTP which worries me a little with four LEDs in a setup originally intended for one.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info! Are there any 3535 quad 16mm mcpcbs? I couldn't find any, I can also see if a 20mm fits when the light arrives.

You don't want a 16 if you are creating a mule. You want however big you can fit.

Have you reflowed and done mods before?
That quad you posted isn't for a 3535.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
You don't want a 16 if you are creating a mule. You want however big you can fit.

Have you reflowed and done mods before?
That quad you posted isn't for a 3535.
No sir! This will be my first go at it - so I appreciate your advice and input. Part of why the Fraz Setup appeals to me is the marketed ability to just wholesale swap mcpcbs so if/when I bungle it - it's just a couple of dollars for a new board. The picture on the QT-SS has a 16, so I assumed it was the largest one that would fit, if it can fit a 20mm i'll definitely go with that instead.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sir! This will be my first go at it - so I appreciate your advice and input. Part of why the Fraz Setup appeals to me is the marketed ability to just wholesale swap mcpcbs so if/when I bungle it - it's just a couple of dollars for a new board. The picture on the QT-SS has a 16, so I assumed it was the largest one that would fit, if it can fit a 20mm i'll definitely go with that instead.

You'll need to solder the LEDs to the board and solder the pads. You use paste. Not much to it. The first few I did I used a hot plate before getting a specialized hot plate.

The mcpcb for an optic will be sized differently than a mcpcb for a mule.
The optic is 26.5mm, so the mcpcb for a mule will be close to 26.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
You'll need to solder the LEDs to the board and solder the pads. You use paste. Not much to it. The first few I did I used a hot plate before getting a specialized hot plate.

The mcpcb for an optic will be sized differently than a mcpcb for a mule.
The optic is 26.5mm, so the mcpcb for a mule will be close to 26.
Thank you for the info. Will start looking around for matching pcbs and take measurements when my unit arrives!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
ability to just wholesale swap mcpcbs
You can only fit 16mm mcpcbs w Single 3V LEDs. And you have to add solder blobs to the mcpcb contact pads before you can use an mcpcb in the Fraz.

The simplest way to have some Tint DUV and Color Temperature fun, is to buy a few different 519a Color Temperatures, preinstalled on 16mm mcpcb, and then DeDome some of the LEDs. Dedoming lowers both the Tint DUV and the Color Temperature.

For example here are 3 pairs of different Color Temperature 519a LEDs
2x 5700K, 2x 4500K, 2x 3000K.

bJ8QonT.jpg

Starting from the left, lights number1,3, and 5 have the dome on, lights 2,4 and 6 have the dome removed. You end up with 6 different Color Temperature and Tint DUV options. My pick of the litter is #4.

Last edited:

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
You can only fit 16mm mcpcbs w Single 3V LEDs. And you have to add solder blobs to the mcpcb contact pads before you can use an mcpcb in the Fraz.

The simplest way to have some Tint DUV and Color Temperature fun, is to buy a few different 519a Color Temperatures, preinstalled on 16mm mcpcb, and then DeDome some of the LEDs. Dedoming lowers both the Tint DUV and the Color Temperature.

For example here are 3 pairs of different Color Temperature 519a LEDs
2x 5700K, 2x 4500K, 2x 3000K.

View attachment 51851
Starting from the left, lights number1,3, and 5 have the dome on, lights 2,4 and 6 have the dome removed. You end up with 6 different Color Temperature and Tint DUV options. My pick of the litter is #4.
Thanks for the info! Do you know offhand, is it single LED only because of the optic, or because of battery voltage +QTC limitations or something else I'm missing? That's an awesome picture, have you used a de-domed 5000K? I've heard that is a really nice one as well.

EDIT: My brain must not have been working when I first read this. i just realized that the dedomed ones were the post dedoming temperature, and that they were previously identical to the one on their left. That's super cool and super interesting to see how the actual dedoming doesn't affect the temperature uniformly. thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just realized that the dedomed ones were the post dedoming temperature
glad you caught on to that, I should have used more descriptive labels
yes, the dedomed temperature reduction is not consistent, but as a rule of thumb, dedoming drops temperature about 20%, and also drops DUV about 0.0030 points

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't taking chances back then. Spare QTCs were a must, then o-rings and optics. Never had to change the o-rings. Thing about plastic, it doesn't react to well to some solvents...and I managed to get some on the optic and basically turned it into a frosted lens...spare optic for the win, lol.
Searched for Quartz optic the same size as Carclo 10048 used in Fraz QTSS but none found. Not enough interest in the market yet.

Allows the use of UV LEDS!

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! Do you know offhand, is it single LED only because of the optic, or because of battery voltage +QTC limitations or something else I'm missing? That's an awesome picture, have you used a de-domed 5000K? I've heard that is a really nice one as well.

EDIT: My brain must not have been working when I first read this. i just realized that the dedomed ones were the post dedoming temperature, and that they were previously identical to the one on their left. That's super cool and super interesting to see how the actual dedoming doesn't affect the temperature uniformly. thanks for sharing that.

Some info on a QTC, would still need to be verified if it is the same one on QT-SS, hope it can help. There are posts on driving the LED without QTC. As these LEDs have a lower forward voltage and amperage rating than the cells used, there could be some resistance built in the Fraz.

————————

Quantum Tunnelling Composite (QTC)

Rated: 1M compressions

Voltage: max 40V

Ampere: max 10A

Temperature variation (for a current of 1microA) shows an approximately linear increase in the resistance (R=63MOhm to R=1240MOhm) observed from 25°C to 180°C.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Fraz has mentioned resistance inherent in the design; thinking contacts on the board and head unit, bezel threads, piston, tail adjustment for battery length and negative spring connections?

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
Poked around with a DMM (new to these), got the following values:

Fraz QT-SS 18650
Ohm / resistance reading
  • Head only w/o QTC: 2.27
  • Head only w/ QTC: none
  • Head w/ body w/o QTC: 2.26