• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: SST-50 / SST-90 MAG C / D Deluxe Heatsink ***Ready to ship***

Britelumens

Enlightened
Re: FS: SST-50 / SST-90 MAG D Deluxe Heatsink ***Ready to ship***

Hi Guys,

You can start ordering the SST-90 deluxe heatsink now. They will be ship out to you this week.

I know you cannot wait to fire up this emitter up on a MAG D :crackup:

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

overdog

Enlightened

Hi Jo,
:paypal:for
Deluxe SST-90 heatsink $21.00 each

Metal MOP reflector with 16mm opening ( for SST-90 ) $18 each

Registered mail to germany $8,00

Total: $47,00

Thank you & best regards,
Steffen.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my SST-90 heatsink and modified reflector today Jo, like Tony the Tiger would say, "They're grrreat!".

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi Aircraft800,

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Got my SST-90 heatsink and modified reflector today Jo, like Tony the Tiger would say, "They're grrreat!".

By the way, did someone said earlier on the thread he need a space to fill one of the largest driver from George? Such as a hipCC....

Here you go:

ds.jpg

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

wquiles

Flashaholic

By the way, did someone said earlier on the thread he need a space to fill one of the largest driver from George? Such as a hipCC....

Here you go:

ds.jpg

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Yup, on this recent build of mine using your heatsink for the P7 I had to do some machining to make the hipCC fit:
Link to build custom ...
DSCF8051.JPG

DSCF8052.JPG

However, mounting the hipCC as you showed above does not work well for the hipCC since the back of the hipCC needs a thermal path (but not electrical path) to the heatsink - otherwise in high power applications it would burn up. In order to use a hipCC on a heatsink like yours (which is a great one, by the way!), you need to have a pedestal or mushroom to float the hipCC to provide a thermal path, and to provide room to wire the LED on the back and switch on the front, as I did here:
DSCF8064.JPG

So basically, the easiest heatsink for the hipCC would have a pedestal on both sides of the heatsink:
- pedestal for the actual LED
- pedestal for thermal path for the hipCC driver

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic

And Jo, by the way, I took some beamshots of my SST-50 with your heatsink and reflector combo, and I seem to be getting good focus, but only at the very end of the travel with the reflector pegged against the bottom of the heatsink. If you are making more of them, it would be great to have the pedestal for the emiter a tad higher, like say 0.1" higher:
link to indoor beamshots on new SST-50 heatsink ...

Thanks for another great product ;)

Will

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi Will,

Nice build! That pocket is to illustrate the ability to fit the hipCC, not a final solution for thermal consideration :p

Yes, this particular design has a new higher pedestal include of course the bigger opening for big board such as the hipCC. The extra height tend to for those who could use a SMO reflector with the SST-90. That would give you a good hot spot!

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Mettee

Enlightened

Here you go:

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens[/QUOTE]

amen, awesome Jo

h22

Newly Enlightened

This looks like the ultimate "easy" MAG upgrade, but I'm wondering if a driver is available that will supply the ~9 (ish) amps of current needed to drive the SST-90 to its full potential?

If I remember correctly the hipCC is only good to ~3-4 amps ( correct me if I am wronf here! ) could multiple boards be stacked?

While I know that driving such a beast would make for a HOT flashlight, It would still be awesome to have that kind of WOW factor on high and still have a useable light when regulated down:twothumbs

I saw someone else ( forgive me i forgot his handle:crazy:) who has a MAG-mod SST-90 and is up to ~7.3 amps using C nimh batts. But I think he is DD.

this brings me to another question that is bothering me, why can't anyone get higher current out of 26650 li-po cells? Are they protected against higher drain levels? Coming from a bit of R/C background, one of the great things about li-po cells is the massive discharge rates they offer.

So I am wondering, if unprotected cells could be had with a 20C or so discharge rate, wouldn't that be the prefered power option? Of course an external low voltage cut off would be needed to prevent over-discharging.

how cool would it be to have a 3 or 4 ( C or D ) mag light with ample storage to run long periods and enough poop to provide ~30sec. bursts of 1800+ lumens:D.

Cant wait for the SST-90's to become more readily available, what a cool mod!
Joe

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Being that it is such low voltage, and high amperage, the resistance of the switch, springs, and wires severely effect the amp draw. In the RC world, you use noodle wire, high strand count, and deans plugs. Now take a look at the spring on the switch and switch components, you'll understand.

If you use a 3d Mag with 10,000mAh cells and bypass the switch with a FET, you could achieve the power you are looking for and nearly 1 hr. run. EL used 4 NiMh cells to get the needed 10A.

h22

Newly Enlightened

If you use a 3d Mag with 10,000mAh cells and bypass the switch with a FET, you could achieve the power you are looking for and nearly 1 hr. run. EL used 4 NiMh cells to get the needed 10A

:D That's exactly what i was pondering on the drive home from work yesterday, 3D ni-mh cells direct wired (no case ground path) through a fet would do it. But I wonder what the voltage drop across the battery/fet would be at the that load. 3x 1.2v put the pack at 3.6v, according to the sst-90 spec sheet, if only getting 3.6v to the driver ( this most likelly wont happen due to drops across the battery, wires, fet at this load ) the LED would only be pulling about ~10.5 amps. I think this is why I have seen a few people having better luck with 4 cells (4.8v). But I wolder what the voltage at the driver is in this configuration.

This has me wondering if just a simple PWM circuit could be built ( 5R55 timer or such ) to drive the LED on 3 or 4 ( of the voltage would not be to high:poof: ) cells.

Now if a person could just get a MAG case that actually had some good heat sinking.......

Edit... just looking at the spec sheet a little closer, while the amp draw vs voltage graph shows max current of 12+ amps at 3.7v, the max recomended current of 9 amps is just above 3.5 volts... this would be 2,250 lumens. Sounds like some testing is in order! now I just need to get my hands on an SST-90 and a good heatsink......I already have a PWM driver :naughty:

pom70

Newly Enlightened

Hi Jo,
Registered mail to germany $8,00

Thank you
pom70

supasizefries

Enlightened

Hi Jo, I got my heat sink and reflector and used them with my SST-90. It works great! :thumbsup:

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I saw someone else ( forgive me i forgot his handle:crazy:) who has a MAG-mod SST-90 and is up to ~7.3 amps using C nimh batts. But I think he is DD.

this brings me to another question that is bothering me, why can't anyone get higher current out of 26650 li-po cells? Are they protected against higher drain levels? Coming from a bit of R/C background, one of the great things about li-po cells is the massive discharge rates they offer.

Joe

Hi Joe, :welcome:

That was my mod and it is DD with a D2Flex V2.0 PWM driver. I also tried an IMR 26650 with it and didn't get the amperage I was expecting. IMR cells have no protection because they're a safer battery type and are made for higher discharge rates than lithium-ion.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

I have some thoughts to share about the "amperage issue"...

For starters, the 4AH 26650 IMR cell has higher energy density AW's 26500 LiMn cell or the Sony 26650VT cell (LiNiCoMn) but I'm pretty sure it also has lower current capability than those two do. That is not to say that it is incapable of sustaining a constant 9A discharge rate, just that it does not have the headroom those other two batteries have. I'm purely guessing here, but it would stand to reason that at that current, it suffers more voltage drop than those two as well, which in turn, would make sustaining max current more unlikely with a single one of those cells than with either of the others.

Secondly, measuring that much amperage is tricky compared to usual LED territory. Toss out the wimpy leads that your DMM came with and replace them with something of a much heavier gauge. I replaced mine with 16ga speaker wire and gold banana plugs. Prior to doing that, my in-line DMM which is supposedly capable of measuring up to 20A DC would top out just north of 4A. After swapping the cables, the measurement taken by the in-line DMM matches that taken by a Fluke 337 true RMS clamp meter. Both now register ~8A draw from 3 MC-E all in parallel on 3 AccuPower LSD NiMH C cells.

Finally, a bit unrelated but sort of on the same theme of "amp-challenged", I'd love to see someone take the opposite approach and embrace resistance. I wonder if 8 eneloops in a FM 4s2p carrier would introduce just enough resistance between the internal resistance of the batteries and all the connections inside and outside the carrier, to cause just the right Vdrop to direct drive the SST-90 at 9A on an almost full charge. I got lucky in a similar fashion with 16 duraloops in series powering 5 MC-E in series...

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Jo,

Registered mail $8,00

:thanks:

Last edited: