FW3A new tritium tailcap

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I tried to finish up a few tailcaps this weekend, but to no avail. My father is the one with the mill (and lathe, truth be told). I popped by there to find that the speed control on the mill has died, so new control chips are on their way.

I spent the time making a jig to keep the 1/16" (.0625"/ 1.5mm) drill bit the same protrusion from the collet as the ball-end mill bit.
Plus, I'm starting to think that I'd like to add an analog caliper to the quill, so I can control the depth of cut with far more accuracy. Currently it's controlled by a thread rod and knob to set depth. I'd say accuracy is about +/- 1/8". Not much help when I'm only making the slot 2mm deep (0.079").

Qa1CaP.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that mill is a beautiful old beast.

Nice work! I like the predator cap.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Nitroz, appreciate it. the mill required a whole new speed control unit, and it's now up and running.

I'm having second thoughts about putting out these trit tailcaps. My design works, but only if you remove the gasket that seals the tail. Not sure people would want to do that, and I've concerns about the longevity of the system. That electronic switch can only push back with the force of very thin sheet metal. No springs involved at all. I know KuKu made some extra thick ones, that seemed to work. I am hearing about the new batch of FW3A's that have much spongier buttons.

That's the main reason I've not pursued this further.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a mill in my future just not a monster like that, I wish though. :)

Karbon22

Newly Enlightened
Take my money! I need one of those as long as you can slap in some blue Trits!

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is someone offering these for the FW3A, but the design is such that the metal cap is quite thick, enough to extend about 2mm past the end of the tail cap. That's a no-go for me. Accidental activation is enough of a problem already. Don't need to make it worse! So I'm waiting out for a solution with a lower profile metal cap that can accommodate trits. ;)

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these being offered by the OP? I'd like to buy 10 pieces

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

boo5ted

Enlightened
Are these being offered by the OP? I'd like to buy 10 pieces

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately no. :(

I'm having second thoughts about putting out these trit tailcaps. My design works, but only if you remove the gasket that seals the tail. Not sure people would want to do that, and I've concerns about the longevity of the system. That electronic switch can only push back with the force of very thin sheet metal. No springs involved at all. I know KuKu made some extra thick ones, that seemed to work. I am hearing about the new batch of FW3A's that have much spongier buttons.

That's the main reason I've not pursued this further.