Pelican 2370: How to modify/replace tailcap?

ruockolt303

Newly Enlightened
I really like this light--seemed to me like an affordable dupe for the old SF Kroma or similar. The magnetic selector ring is great. Running on AA is fine. The tailcap clicky SUCKS. I want to swap it out but can't find any 3rd party replacements (probably not popular enough style). I took out the clicky assembly (unscrewed the two hole threaded part under the rubberized tailcap) but can't figure out how to replace it or find parts. Suggestions please??

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Can you post a picture of it? The older style lights had two little tabs that pressed the switch through the circuit board. Unfortunately I could not find a replacement aftermarket switch that would fit into the circuit board. Pelican however at the time would give you a replacement tail cap. Pelican's switches all suck. Every single one of their lights that uses a switch has failed me at some point and has been replaced. The 2330 was so bad they gave me a box of 12 replacement tail caps because I was wearing them out so fast.

ruockolt303

Newly Enlightened
appreciate the reply--here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_6378.jpg
    IMG_6378.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6379.jpg
    IMG_6379.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6382.jpg
    IMG_6382.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6380.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 63

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're handy order a McClicky and make it work. I use washers, wire and solder to make switches work in various hosts. Just gotta get creative

ruockolt303

Newly Enlightened
I had considered trying to order some other parts and macgyver it, just wasn't sure if the aa voltage would be too low, and I think the mcclickys are larger (e.g. 17mm/cr123) diameter no?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the mcclickys are larger (e.g. 17mm/cr123) diameter no?
Probably around there. They are plastic so I sand them down to fit them into 14500/AA hosts. Sometimes I expose the metal and have to use electrical tape.

With that tailcap unless you can match the threads you would have to use a washer or wire to complete the circuit.

McClicky would make that a significantly better light. Chinese switches suck.

ruockolt303

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! I get the sizing part now, file it to fit into the exiting tail cap housing.

Do you mind showing a picture or giving some more detail on how to complete the circuit? I don't follow that part completely.

As I'm picturing it, I take this (https://a.co/d/eKbLSsf) and remove the plastic from the brass, file it down further on the edges so it fits into the stock tailcap...but then how do I keep it secure? The stock threaded part is super deep, so I don't think I could use it as a washer to hold the black part of the McClicky against the rubber of the switch.

Latest posts