Replace failing Seoul P7 in Maglite

U

user1016

I have a Maglite that was done up for me with a Seoul P7 LED many years ago, however I discovered after doing a runtime test on it that the LED appears to be failing. The P7 only maintains full brightness around 900lm for about 30 seconds before it begins dropping slowly to about 25% after about 3 minutes (tested with standard 1.5v batteries. The mod appears to be soldered into the lampholder and the switch itself seems to have been adhered permanently with some kind of white stuff. I popped the button out and unscrewed it; the switch itself beneath the button can technically come out, but it has two red wires that are attached to a separate area that is the lamphead, which does not come free.

Would anyone here be able to shed some light on whether or not it could be replaced based on the photo? The maglite itself is a bit unique and was part of a matte-finish production run from Australia in the late 2000s, so I'm hesitant to dispose of it unless there is absolutely no other option. I reached out to the original modder to see if they could offer some advice but I'm yet to hear back from them.

xmH44zs.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure it can be replaced.
The white stuff would be a thermal epoxy.
I would look a little closer/ take apart a bit more to see if there is a bad solder connection.
If all 4 dies are lighting up it could be something else? Does it have a driver circuit or is it direct drive?
Possibly a bad ground ?
I am not an expert but I'm sure others with more electrical knowledge will chime in.

U

user1016

In this event, is there someone here on CPF who would be able to mod it with something new (and powerful)? Happy to pay.

U

user1016

Do you reckon this mob would mod the flashlight for me if I were to send it in to them? I'm not confident I can do the unsoldering/replacement work myself.

U

user1016

Thankyou! Will take the discussion there. Thankyou to everyone for their advice and insight :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi James,

I got your PM, I will go ahead and make a post here so other can see as well. Currently I'm not doing any mod work (other than the boost/dedome for L6 listed on my site). I really do love a modded mag, but I just don't have enough time to go around with production work and my Youtube channel. I do hope you understand. I still have some moddng parts available on my site like heat sinks drivers etc that would work for your light. If your wanting to go to basically what you had there but brighter a simple aluminum heat sink with an XML2 on it would do that with your 3 D cells. A mosfet driver could be added for modes. https://asflashlights.com/24-heat-sinks

Matt

U

user1016

Thanks for the reply Matt!

Sadly unless I can find a way to get the original switch out, I'm not sure if I can mod it in since the current switch seems to all be adhered to the inside, but I've bookmarked your page in case I can get it out (or pay someone to get it out) in the future!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
flip the heat sink over use dremel or a saw to remove the ridge, glue any led on a star to the flat side of it using thermal adhesive, not thermal paste, or use paste and screws, done.

p.s. assuming your heatsink has flat bottom, i had few like this they were flat, but i have seen some that had a hole for the driver, if that is the case, you need a new heatsink.

where are you located?? i would take a look if close by

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I didn't see this but you may be interested in some of the work I'm doing with a 3 mode drop in for Mags using VestureofBlood's pill.

http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2019/01/ultimate-maglite-restomod.html

I may or may not be able to change the emitter. It all depends on how it was epoxy'd and soldered in there. If you can't find anyone I'm up for taking a look at it but can't guarantee what level of success I'd have. I can always drop in a new pill though.