• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fyrstormer's Evil Labs presents: McGizmo Makai, Pointless Edition

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
my daily driver is a '83 El Camino! now that you have done this mod, do you have any idea what the lumen output is? is there anything you would have done differently?

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm guessing the output is somewhere in the 250-300lm range, based on ceiling-bounce comparisons with other lights I own that are rated at that brightness, but I don't have the equipment to measure its brightness objectively.

If I had it to do again, I'd try to come up with a more elegant way to connect the driver to the LED assembly. I may yet go back and modify the connection to use a barrel plug and socket, so when I screw the driver pill into place, the plug and socket line-up and automatically make a connection. But it's not like I'm going to be disassembling this light on a regular basis, so I may also decide to leave it as-is because it's not a big deal.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing short of awesome!!!
Like you, I don't have much need for a thrower in my environment so I am all about flood with my lights but this is the only 5mm "array" light that I have ever had any interest in! I actually dig the clash between the "cheesy tech" of the array packed into the "classy coolness" that is the Makai.
Congrats on a very unique and very well executed build, and great photos as always!