GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic looking light. I have to say it is better that you went with the professionally made CF than the stuff that I was proposing. I'm losing out on a lot of business but I think you are getting a much better product. I don't think my basement production methods would fit well on a piece of that caliber. Awesome light.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HOW TO RECEIVE THE SIGN UP NOTICE.
Please send an email to [email protected] .
You will then receive an email to which you need to reply to complete sign up and verify your identity. That's all you need to do to be on the list to be notified when we take orders.

You can unsubscribe any time by sending an email to [email protected]

Concept said:
I have sent an e-mail and was wondering if we will get some sort of confirmation that we are on the waiting list?

The sending an email to our email address so I can put you on manually was a bit of a mistake... I got floooded with emails. However the ones I got so far I'll put you on the list.. but please stop sending these emails use the process described above.

Also, if you were on the list before and haven't unsubscribed yet (F.e. if you ever were interested in a V1 or a V2 you are still on the list.

Sorry for not having been more clear on the process.

V3-b9.jpg

V3-b10.jpg

M.TEX

Enlightened
Mobile

It looks like this V3 will have lots of side spill.....:thinking:

or you're going to change the design ?

M.TEX

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
M.TEX said:
Mobile

It looks like this V3 will have lots of side spill.....:thinking:

or you're going to change the design ?

M.TEX

Why would it have a lot of side spill? It will be like the V1 and V2's the optics is illuminated - which will look really nice.... sure the optics is longer now.. which increases that area, however the optical properties... hotspot should be very similar to whether the optics is enclosed or not.

If you use a V2 optic that would create a ton of sidespill but since the optic we use is specifically designed for the XR-E it should be fine.

mobile1 said:
Also, if you were on the list before and haven't unsubscribed yet (F.e. if you ever were interested in a V1 or a V2 you are still on the list.

Ah, good. So for those of us who were on the list from earlier this year and were fortunate enough to order and receive Gatlight V2's, we don't need to do a thing except wait for the e-mail. Correct? Thanks, Walter. :grin2:

indenial

Enlightened
I'm a little late, but I'm in for V.3, as long as the lumen rating is at least close to what is being claimed by the manufacturer.....

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. Everyone is excited, ready and willing!

How long will it be before we see these guys? Hopefully, before the end of Jan?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
arewethereyetdad said:
Ah, good. So for those of us who were on the list from earlier this year and were fortunate enough to order and receive Gatlight V2's, we don't need to do a thing except wait for the e-mail. Correct? Thanks, Walter. :grin2:

That's correct....

Regarding Lumen Rating from the manufacturer... well we tested the samples we got and we have to say that Cree is probably one of the more honest mfg when it comes to spec sheets (in comparison to f.e. a K2 spec sheet).

Some Updates of what we have been up to this week so far
(I know you guys love updates)

In terms of coatings for the black Titanium parts (so far we plan to make'em all TI...however we might have to rethink the decision depending on what prices the machine shops come back with). So to coat the TI parts black we have it seems 3 options
1) Aluminum Titanium Nitride Coating. It is basically a bluish black coating... pretty much indestructable.. since they normally coat drill bits with it to make'em more durable.
coating_altin.jpg

2) Carbon Based Coating (DLC - Diamond Like Coating). Apparently a black which is more an Antrazite black/dark grey.. however should have a very smooth feel to it. As scratch resistant as it gets... that's another coating used for drill bits...
coating_cbc.jpg

3) Ti Annodizing
Not quite as dark however an annodizing type process.
pic-4.jpg

4) Black Ceramic Coating
Advantage, would be the darkest black that can be achieved, however at the expense of the texture. It would feel like a 300-400 sandpaper. Still scratch resistant etc.

So far 1 or 2 are our favorites.. I should get some samples in tomorrow. Still open is the costs associated with these high tech coatings.... to see if they are feasible at all. Once we get the fabrication drawings done we'll get some quotes in and will know more.

BY THE WAY THOSE PREFERING NATURAL...
we most likely will give you the option of getting the V3 in natural without the black.

Driver Board
Kyle mostly worked on the driver this week... designing the circuit board... getting all the right components to optimize everything for the Cree's... still be about 2 weeks until that is finished.

Our goal is to send out plans to have a prototype manufactured within 2-3 weeks... so we'll see....

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys... another update what we have been up to this week.

Optics
We have evaluated some more optics...and found one that will result in a brighter hotspot. However it required some changes to the front... and also the light got a bit shorter.

I am sure you all don't mind brighter... and I also think the front now looks more interesting.. here are some renderings... (of the all TI (natural) version) Of course the black /natural still is another option, but the changes can be seen better in natural.

Enjoy the renderings... oh and in terms of brightness expect quite a bit more compared to the V2... probably at least twice as bright.

V3c02.jpg

V3c03.jpg

V3c01.jpg

Push Button
than we are still working hard on trying to find a push button we can add to the knob in the back... however very hard to find small latching push button switches (0.5 inch diameter or less) that can handle 4-5W... we have some samples coming from korea and some from the sandwich shoppe...

Carbon Fiber
We're expecting a sample from a Carbon Fiber Manufacturer to check the surface finish... to make sure the finish is as perfect as we want it to be (hard to do with CF).

Driver
Than Kyle has been looking a lot into buck/boost circuits. Currently evaluating some circuits that might allow us to use as battery input anything between 1.5V and 8 volts... which would provide full functionality for 3.6 and 3V batteries. However don't get your hopes up yet.. just in evaluation right now.

Until we get the knob samples we'll mostly be working on the driver... there are a couple things we changed in the core mechanism to simplify things... but still needs testing.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice update. You are right about us liking updates.

Things are looking really great and thank you for continuing to improve on your already awesome design.

Merry Christmas :santa:

kukula

Enlightened
Oh boy things are getting better and brighter! Way to go mobile1! Cant wait to get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the updates :rock:

M.TEX

Enlightened
We like updates MOBILE....Ohhh and we like BRIGHT too..:grin2:

Yes it's always good to see what you're doing ....:goodjob:

M.TEX

Status
Not open for further replies.