Gold Minimag

N162E

Enlightened
I have a gold plated Minimag. The light was purchased at Sharper Image in 1986 or 1987. I think it is made out of brass and 18 Kt gold plated. The light weighs 8.1 oz. I purchased it to carry in a gold Cadillac Allante I owned at the time. As luck would have it the light wound up in a drawer and has been untouched in its original closed case until now. I called a couple local sporting goods stores a gun shop and the Sharper Image and nobody seems to know anything about this light.

I am not a flashlight collecter and this is my first foray into this forum. Is anybody familiar with this light? Is there any history or a story here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If it is gold on brass, then it is probably a made by Maglight. I have e-mail from Mag stating that they had stopped production of the gold/brass minimag in the mid '80's. Hang on to it as it is a rare bestie!

.....or e-mail me and we'll discuss adding it to my collection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine find a "Gold" Chinese/Tw "knock-off" copy of a Maglite being sold for around $5 in the surplus stores

It was very poorly made, but it looked 'cool'

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Gold Minimag (pic)

Here is N162E's gold MiniMag!

gold.jpg

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif drool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

That's a VERY pretty flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If I had one, I'd probably give it to Chris M. because he probably takes better care of his flashlights than I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a good looking light, and I generally don't like gold anything.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font color="800080">....because he probably takes better care of his flashlights than I do.</font>

Not necessarilly.....

injurede2ekl1.jpg

(taken before the 717 arrived)

OK, actually that was an accident. Well, 2 accidents. Quite big ones....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Accidents happen (and some are just more costly than others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif). Back on subject, the MimiMag is sweet. I wonder what other rare versions were made in the past?

-Mike

sflate

Enlightened

Can you tell the difference between the 18 Kt gold plated mini-mag and the regular gold mini-mag by looking at them?

N162E

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
sflate said:
Can you tell the difference between the 18 Kt gold plated mini-mag and the regular gold mini-mag by looking at them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can. As I recall the regular gold Minimag is more of an "Anodized" finish while the 18ct is polished to a mirror like shine. If you can pick it up all doubt is removed, it weighs over a half pound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif