Google Map for Candlepowerforum Members

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Some people want their privacy/don't WANT others to know where they are. Of course, if they include it in their sig/profile etc, it may not be as large an issue, but, still, I'd think this should be an optional inclusion by the participants.
If you put mine in, I will be very unhappy. Just because I put it in my profile, it does NOT mean I want it put into a map, where people can find it without originally looking for ME. Putting other folks in would be a VERY bad idea.

[EDIT] As a matter of fact, I just made my location information in my profile a little more generic, since people are "threatening" (please notice the VERY loose definition I am using for this word) to add my info in ways I have not approved.

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this was fun.....

Nobody should be adding other peoples to the map. Who had time to waste on something like that anyway?

Let's be done with that idea and comments relative to it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
In a way it was a good idea, and was posted by the OP for discussion and participation. Thinking out loud, it would be good to have a map of membership participation, and user names would not have to be involved. It would give members a good indication of how many people all over the world are involved with CPF.

Bill

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a way it was a good idea, and was posted by the OP for discussion and participation. Thinking out loud, it would be good to have a map of membership participation, and user names would not have to be involved. It would give members a good indication of how many people all over the world are involved with CPF.

Bill

That's exactly what this is. Usernames are certainly not required.

EDIT: and the clown strikes again!

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose we could look at it two ways as recently posted. 1) No names at all, just "how many users", or 2) with usernames so you know who might be around you.

I would really like to see points placed with usernames just so anyone can, at some point if they wish, see who is near you and/or send a PM saying "hi neighbor" and plan a CPF gathering. Without names, that's impossible. So, that makes the "no usernames" approach seem pretty pointless to me.

On that note, If somebody who placed Point 20 near Greenfield, WI wants to update their point with a username that would be great.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some blanks could be due to the learning curve involved with posting.

I could make it work on one computer, but on another it was easier.

There could simply be failed attempts scattered about.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Added as well.

Who's up for a CPF Meet and Greet?

You missed the May 31 Photon Festival, which is where local CPF members HAVE a meet and greet, as well as places to shine near and far at stuff, etc.

:D

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always can spot a CPF member at night events in my city. They are the crazy guy with a triple xml that shines 3 blocks away at the ballet. Can't blame him much, how else was he to find his way back to the car. The wife, a tad embarrassed, but happy to get him to the ballet at all.

Yep, just follow the hot spot back to the source. If the distance and lux meter reads correctly, probably a CPF member.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really good idea. Have to bump this thread on a regular basis...if we get a lot of people on it, should make get-togethers a LOT easier to organize. I am added.

YAK-28

Enlightened
got my tm26 ready for this year, see you at the ballet

I always can spot a CPF member at night events in my city. They are the crazy guy with a triple xml that shines 3 blocks away at the ballet. Can't blame him much, how else was he to find his way back to the car. The wife, a tad embarrassed, but happy to get him to the ballet at all.

Yep, just follow the hot spot back to the source. If the distance and lux meter reads correctly, probably a CPF member.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
got my tm26 ready for this year, see you at the ballet
I am guessing you are trying to find that magical lumen or head "threshold" where the wife will ask you to stay home, or just wake the dead at Glendale. Let me know if you find it, so I can place my order.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Due to budge cuts, our city does ballet in the cemetery. This is great since it offers alternative reading material during the slow parts.)