Got my E01

Yapo

Enlightened
Re: Got my E01, and it's dim :(

Yeah and i reckon its got a very useful beampattern...I got a E01 for a friend because of its long runtime on alkalines/energizer E2 lithiums...i would get another one for myself but what would i do with all my LSD nimh AAA's?!? i wouldnt need to recharge em for a good few years!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah and i reckon its got a very useful beampattern...I got a E01 for a friend because of its long runtime on alkalines/energizer E2 lithiums...i would get another one for myself but what would i do with all my LSD nimh AAA's?!? i wouldnt need to recharge em for a good few years!
hmmm, maybe you could get a few spacers, and use them in a FM battery holder for an ROP...:lolsign:

Crenshaw

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened

I tested both of my EO1's and they both tested out at roughly 8 lumens. I have measured A LOT of different lights, and my numbers are very close to exact, and they tend to be a little low.
I know the EO1 isn't bright by todays standards, but the performance can not be matched by any other 1xAAA light. It puts out 8 lumens for nearly 14 hours on a single AAA Energizer Lithium. Unreal!

Hmm, interesting. That makes me wonder if I simply have a bad light. I measured quite a few lights myself, I'm certain my method is accurate enough to tell the difference between 10 and 3 lumens.

BTW- I wasn't looking for a retina scorcher. The E01 was bought to replace the oldschool (2005) Arc-P that I lost. That Arc was brighter. Not sure what it was rated at - 5 lumens?

Last edited:

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened

Right. One problem though: you cannot rely on SF to overrate their lights in consistent manner. Sometimes they seem to be pulling numbers out of their hat.

Some examples: P61 (rated at 120 lumens) is not 2x brighter than P60 (rated at 60). More like 1.4 times. E1B (rated at 80) is not really brighter than the new L1 (rated at 65) - both have identical output on max. The list goes on.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: YAY, and boo. Got my E01

The non-centering seems to be a feature/misfeature of the Nichia leds and doesn't come from the led being uncentered in the light. It comes from how the die is placed inside the led (i.e. not always centered). It's a bit of an aesthetic annoyance when fooling around with the light but shouldn't matter in practical use. CMG Infinity series lights had the same problem. I think Arc selects leds to avoid it to some extent, which is easier to do at Arc's price point, I suppose.

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened

Are you judging just on whitewall tests? Because 120 lumens will not appear to be twice the brightness than 60 when percieved by the human eye (light perception a logarithmic function, which I don't know of the top of my head).

Whitewall tests in general are only good for judging how pretty the beam is, not practical use or lumen ratings. Beam shape and make up (hotspot intensity, or flood brightness) can also trick the eye, which is likley what is happening with the E1B and L1.

There are other members on CPF who can much better explain the intricacies of output and perception than me.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened

No, I compare lightmeter readings from ceiling bounce tests in a small white room. This method produces surprisingly repeatable results, and is not sensitive to beam shape. I like this approach better than the milk carton method :D

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

SureFire underrates their incandescent lights differently than they underrate their LED lights. To the OP; it's possible you got a dud light. Which dealer did you use?

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened

Nope that's not it. P60 and P61 are both incandescent LAs. E1B and L1 are both LED lights.

Could be a dud light... who knows. Purchased direct from fenixstore.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

It maybe an under acheiving E01, but I figure the 10 lumens is emitter lumens. Actually lumens out the front are probably 8 or less. My E01's are brighter than my E0.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may not be a factor, but I always wipe off the contact surfaces, especially on spring loaded clickies. Use a dry Q tip on both sides (PCB contacts, metal ring in body which contacts PCB) and see if that helps.

ReP0

Newly Enlightened

I don't have the original E0 to compare it to, but there is no way that thing is putting out 10 lumens... Based on ceiling bounce test with lightmeter and comparison to other lights, I estimate its output as 3-4 lumens of angry blue goodness. For example, it's slightly dimmer than E1B on low (which is supposed to be 5 lumens). And no it's not the battery...

Glad I didn't go with it then. I'm happy with the buckle. Might not have huge run time but then I don't use it for bushwalking and to be honest for the light it puts out I'm happy with it's running time so far. When I want light I want a bright light. Usually it's if I dropped stuff in the grass or I'm searching a dark corner of the trunk or walking up an unlit driveway. I made the mistake of buying a dimmer longer running light before and cursed myself. I guess a longer running light has it's uses but for 99% of people it's not an issue to even be concerned about when selecting such a light.

But hey, the ano is good and all that.

Yes because the ano is all important in a flashlight :oops: :whistle:

Sorry it didn't perform like you'd like. I had doubts that it would be bright enough when I went through my choices and so forgot about it.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

It maybe an under acheiving E01, but I figure the 10 lumens is emitter lumens. Actually lumens out the front are probably 8 or less. My E01's are brighter than my E0.

but its a bare 5mm led, so there shouldnt be optical losses, unless you count those inherent in the acrylic/plastic of the LED itself, which is like saying a Cree suffers optcal losses though the resin dome..

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

but its a bare 5mm led, so there shouldnt be optical losses, unless you count those inherent in the acrylic/plastic of the LED itself, which is like saying a Cree suffers optcal losses though the resin dome..

Crenshaw

Hm, good point. :) What if some of the 10 lumens are bouncing off the reflector, so some of the lumens are lost there? :)

If the LED is emitting 10 lumens, it doesn't all come out the front does it? I would think some of those lumens would still be lost that come out the other areas of the LED and hit the reflector.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hm, good point. :) What if some of the 10 lumens are bouncing off the reflector, so some of the lumens are lost there? :)

If the LED is emitting 10 lumens, it doesn't all come out the front does it? I would think some of those lumens would still be lost that come out the other areas of the LED and hit the reflector.

could be, but i thought someone was saying that the angle the light is emitted at was so narrow that it wasnt hitting the reflector anyway? cant remember who said it though...

head scratcher! :thinking:

Crenshaw

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could be a dud light... who knows. Purchased direct from fenixstore.

I posted a thread much like this one when I received my first EO1 and was also very disappointed. Here's a link...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195899

No one will believe you, so don't try to convince the FenixFans that there could possibly be anything wrong with one of their lights. Between the thread I posted and my posts in this_is_nascar's review thread I get the feeling that people will only see what they want to see. Some of the comments I've gotten would be funny if they weren't so mind boggling.

You got a dud. The second one I received was also a dud, though slightly better than the first. That's three duds between two buyers. Mine are going back.

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened

could be, but i thought someone was saying that the angle the light is emitted at was so narrow that it wasnt hitting the reflector anyway? cant remember who said it though...

head scratcher! :thinking:

Crenshaw

yeah i remember reading/seeing pics of that in another thread as well...its only a small ring of light that comes out from the side of the LED...the rest is all out the front

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have the original E0 to compare it to, but there is no way that thing is putting out 10 lumens... Based on ceiling bounce test with lightmeter and comparison to other lights, I estimate its output as 3-4 lumens of angry blue goodness. For example, it's slightly dimmer than E1B on low (which is supposed to be 5 lumens). And no it's not the battery...

But hey, the ano is good and all that.

I set up my bounce box and my E01 is reading higher than my E1B on low. I was getting about 8LUX with the E1B and 12LUX with the E01. Not sure what that means lumen wise, but the E01 has a bit more output than the E1B on low. Some where between 5-10 lumens I'd assume.

Also I don't see any angry blue with my E01. I see some purple.

Doing a ceiling bounce and just observing with my eyes my E01 is reflecting more light onto the floor and the difference is noticeable.

I took a quick beam shot, sorry my arm got in the way, but the E1B on low on the left, the E01 on the right. It gives you an idea of the difference. The E1B has a tight hot spot, but the E01has more light in the spill, and a larger hot spot, etc:

Hopefully the testing data and beam shots will avoid more Fenixfanboy comments...

I tested both of my EO1's and they both tested out at roughly 8 lumens. I have measured A LOT of different lights, and my numbers are very close to exact, and they tend to be a little low.

If my SF E1B is 5 lumens, then 8 lumens sounds about right for the E01 based on the results I got.

I don't think any of us expected it to be as bright as a Arc GS, as Arc over drives their lights. The Arc CS, DS, and GS may all be brighter than the E01, the CS maybe only slightly brighter, the DS and GS brighter yet. However, the Arc CS may only be brighter initially, and drop off. They claim 5.5 lumens MINIMUM for the Arc CS, what's maximum?

I'm still waiting on my Arc GS to come back from Arc. I don't have a CS or DS Arc to compare with.

My E01 is brighter than my E0. If the E0 is really 5 lumens, then the E01 is more than 5.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: YAY, and boo. Got my E01

The non-centering seems to be a feature/misfeature of the Nichia leds and doesn't come from the led being uncentered in the light. It comes from how the die is placed inside the led (i.e. not always centered). It's a bit of an aesthetic annoyance when fooling around with the light but shouldn't matter in practical use. CMG Infinity series lights had the same problem. I think Arc selects leds to avoid it to some extent, which is easier to do at Arc's price point, I suppose.

lol, imagine if the two dies were off center by different amounts.. youd get two hotspots in two distinct places!

Crenshaw

Latest posts