Got my Zebralight SC51 today!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did make the same point, but when you mentioned that you use the Li-ion battery I wanted make sure that others did not get it confused with primary lithium batteries. Sorry if it did not sound right. I just hate reading posts that their flashlight burned out from using the wrong battery.
I thought I made the same point in my post.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did make the same point, but when you mentioned that you use the Li-ion battery I wanted make sure that others did not get it confused with primary lithium batteries. Sorry if it did not sound right. I just hate reading posts that their flashlight burned out from using the wrong battery.

Not meaning to get too off topic, but most of us know that L91 means "lithium primary" so let's just use one or the other to try avoid confusion.

And yes, I would hate to be the one who posted something that someone misunderstood and ended up :poof:ing their nice new light as a result! More clarity is always better than less.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
I have a SC50. Is there enough improvements in the SC51 to merit the purchase of a SC51? I am waiting on the H51 neutral white.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SC50. Is there enough improvements in the SC51 to merit the purchase of a SC51? I am waiting on the H51 neutral white.

I would say, "No".

Neural white H51, however, is definitely worth waiting for.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I bought the SC51 is the fact that you get 200 lumens using AA Eneloop batteries or AA alkaline/primary lithium batteries.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
How is the PWM on lowest low? I seem to recall someone (Selfbuilt?) mentioning this being present. It doesn't normally bother me.

Geoff

tandem

Enlightened
The reason I bought the SC51 is the fact that you get 200 lumens using AA Eneloop batteries or AA alkaline/primary lithium batteries.

Ah, but for how long do you get 200 lumen output? A few minutes on alkaline. Perhaps 30-sih minutes on NiMH. Maybe 45 minutes from an Energizer L91 lithium.

These are impressive achievements, don't get me wrong. But the thing I like most about the SC51's output is the very impressive flat regulation on High 2 for Eneloops... more than one and a half hours of class leading output not very far off of the turbo output of the Fenix LD10 R4 which had been class leading until the SC51. The major difference is that on the secondary high of the SC51 you get more than 90 minutes of high output while only ~ 50 minutes of turbo mode output of the Fenix LD10 R4.

Still haven't bought one yet though, looking for feedback after a few months of heavy use from some users.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fact that the SC51 can even reach these numbers, and I have always appreciated when a manufacturer reaches for higher goals to always improve their product. You know you want a SC51...Go for it!!!!!
Ah, but for how long do you get 200 lumen output? A few minutes on alkaline. Perhaps 30-sih minutes on NiMH. Maybe 45 minutes from an Energizer L91 lithium.

These are impressive achievements, don't get me wrong. But the thing I like most about the SC51's output is the very impressive flat regulation on High 2 for Eneloops... more than one and a half hours of class leading output not very far off of the turbo output of the Fenix LD10 R4 which had been class leading until the SC51. The major difference is that on the secondary high of the SC51 you get more than 90 minutes of high output while only ~ 50 minutes of turbo mode output of the Fenix LD10 R4.

Still haven't bought one yet though, looking for feedback after a few months of heavy use from some users.

tandem

Enlightened
I'm assuming they more or less achieved the numbers claimed. If you compare the relative output from Selfbuilt's review of the LD20 for example (it's a 205 claimed lumen light IIRC) basically any light that puts out near the 80 level on his scale should be near 200 lumen. Or at least that's the theory - I'm sure it isn't linearly related to output but probably is close enough.

Whatever the result, the SC51 is the current king of the hill for output-runtime out of a mass produced 1xAA.

willy cheesesteak

Newly Enlightened
After seeing a friend get one and hearing all the good things about Zebralight, this just might have to be my next 1xAA light.:eek:

Harry999

Enlightened
I recall posting to say I would not order the SC51 until I had seen some feedback on it. In the end given ZL have already updated it before release based on the additional modes at H2 level from feedback on the H51 I ordered one earlier today. This seems to be too nice a AA light to wait for...:shrug:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I wanted a brighter 1XAA light to go with my H501 for hiking so ordered a LD10-R4 the other day. Looks like the SC51 is brighter but the lack of a lanyard hole put me off. Granted I could work something with the clip but being a big user of lanyards it was enough. I think maybe the headlamp H51 could be better for me as use headlamps more than flashlights in the woods. There is a v2 (darn that was fast) so will read the reviews to check if the PWM on low modes is better and make sure there isn't any bugs etc. Also looking forward to the floody XP-G headlamp. Seems like people are happy with the SC51.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always tie a lanyand to the pocket clip.
I wanted a brighter 1XAA light to go with my H501 for hiking so ordered a LD10-R4 the other day. Looks like the SC51 is brighter but the lack of a lanyard hole put me off. Granted I could work something with the clip but being a big user of lanyards it was enough. I think maybe the headlamp H51 could be better for me as use headlamps more than flashlights in the woods. There is a v2 (darn that was fast) so will read the reviews to check if the PWM on low modes is better and make sure there isn't any bugs etc. Also looking forward to the floody XP-G headlamp. Seems like people are happy with the SC51.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
You can always tie a lanyand to the pocket clip.

Yea I mentioned that in my post but it wouldn't be the same (for me) as a true lanyard hole on the tail. I think the new Fenix caps might fit paracord without the need for a smaller line etc that is attached to the main 550 cordage. Also I tend to remove clips as don't use these and they kinda get in my way. On a side note has anyone checked the PWM on low with the current SC51s? I think the H51 v2 fixed this but I haven't read anything from those who own the v2 yet.

jaws revenge

Newly Enlightened
here is my sc51 and sized next to sc60. nice bright and small light.
DSC01842.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the picture. That is small, very ideal for pocket or belt EDC. 200 OTF lumens from something that tiny? Wow! You guys are lucky. I am jealous.

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
After reading all these amazing posts, and doing some extensive research on my own, I too had to get on!
Can't wait to be able to play with it!
Crazy how small it is!

Latest posts