Greenlight goes camping

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't from a camping trip, but it is survivalist related:

I noticed miner's lettuce season had started and passed a healthy crop today, so I went back with a bag and harvested some for dinner:

minerslettuce008.jpg

When I got home I put it in a bowl to soak to get off any unwanted matter:

minerslettuce012.jpg

It tastes sort of like spinach. It'll make a nice salad for dinner.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some pics from my most recent trip (2009). I needed a camera so I bought a Pentax K-m (K-2000) but I only had the kit lens to take along. We rafted the same river as last year (Trinity/Klamath/Pacific Ocean). It's a great trip and easy to get to, so we do it a lot.

A little frog made friends with my brother and he rode along for a couple of days.
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip114-1.jpg

Five boats
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip116.jpg

Stacking rocks:
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip127.jpg

Chili for dinner:
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip145.jpg

Predator!!!
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip156.jpg

Dad running rapids:
dadrapid.jpg

Swimming!
2009Trinity-Klamathraftingtrip009.jpg

Nice bridges, California!
2009061506152009_01.jpg

Dad, brother, behind me for once:
2009061506152009_03.jpg

3riverrafterstrinity.jpg

Lunch time:
Klamathlunch.jpg

Ocean beach:
PACIFICOCEANCAMPPANORAMAcopy-1.jpg

This is a composite image of me paddling by my brother with the camera:
riverpanorama.jpg

Weitchpec bridge, confluence of the Klamath and Trinity rivers:
weitchpecbridge.jpg

There were no forest fires this year so the air was clear. We were blessed to have sun each day. Swimming was great, and I even met some local college girls on the bank of the river who gave me one of their beers. Fun fun fun!

I cooked four meals out of six... pretty much the same recipes as last year... there were no leftovers.

Once again there was very little flashlight usage. I carried my Gerber firecracker to the campfire and used it to find my tent. A little night time reading and that's it. My dad loves his headlamp, but I don't like them.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, Greenlight. Good to see you're still around.

My wife has a thing for the Inova X1 (gen1). I still have a couple NIP but I am dreading the day that the last one dies. I know this is off topic but have you ever found another light that has a beam even remotely like the gen1 X1?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, man that looks like it was a fun trip.
Great stove.
You might like the books "Why buildings fall down" and "Why things bite back".

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Ah, memmories of midnight runs on the South Fork of the American river. Chili Bar to Coloma under the light of the moon. It would sure be a lot less frightening now with water resistant head lamps and lights that can be taped to the fun-yaks. Oh to be immortal again. (20-26 years of age i thought accidents happened to other people)

I wish I had the lights I have now when I was knocking around the rivers of Costa Rica and the 3 forks of the American. I had a piece of crap yellow plastic pelican Incan that ran off of 4 AA's and I thought I had a can of sunlight in my hand.

Greenlight thanks for stirring the memmories.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
bumpity. Hope you have time this year to go camping. We really enjoy your adventures. It's the next best thing since most of us can't do what you did or will do. So we'll tag along via internet. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts