grocery cost thread its crazy!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
post the cost of these 3 items where you live. just state where about u live. im just wondering if its this high else where
gallon a milk 5 bucks
pound of ground beef 5 bucks as well
loaf of breed 2 bucks white no name stuff

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I can't quote a price on two of the above items, but my ground beef mix is ~50% vegetarian & costs me about $1.50/lb (TSP reconstituted in my homemade chicken/turkey stock being the ~vegetarian portion).

I do keep records of my grocery purchases, and ate quite healthily last year (2023) for ~$2000 total; $2011.96 actually. That works out to less than $168 per month.

I buy many things in bulk, eat virtually no processed foods, and cook from scratch. I stock up when things are on sale, which go in one of the two chest freezers or on the storage racks in the garage.

2018: $2159
2019: $1883
2020: $2178
2021: $2246
2022: $2988
2023: $2012

In case a person is looking askance at that 2022 expenditure; even taking that year into account, my average monthly cost for groceries has still been only $187 over the past 6 years. And right now, I have more reserve food stockpiled than ever before.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
smart man kestrel omg i wish i had a deep freezer . it will be the next thing i buy just a simple small one. November turkey was on sale for 49 cents per pound everyone laughed i bought like 7 i forget how many lol. i aite them already used the entire bird. bones and all. . .i may try thet half meat you posted about. i dont need meat and love to eat more healthy

raggie33

*the raggedier*
had a aldi in old town non here but everytime i wnet to old one the lines was to long.

Reactions: xxo

Buff

Enlightened
Nort Carolina

Just bought 10lbs of ground beef at $ 2.79 a pound.
Buy nicer bread under $4 but i can check next time i go for the great value or wonder bread. 😂
1/2 gal of skim is 2-21/2 dollars.
I will add that regular gas is $2.85. Diesel under $4

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
had a aldi in old town non here but everytime i wnet to old one the lines was to long.
best time to go is early when they first open or just before closing time.

lidl is another one that is fairly cheap, but not as cheap as aldi.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Houston, TX

gallon a milk - $3.29
pound of ground beef - just bought some at $2.49/lb
loaf of breed $1.02 according to the website (I don't buy the cheap bread. Always buy from the bakery or make our own)

Where are you at OP?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shop mainly at my local Kroger affiliated supermarket, and they have a customer loyalty card that gets you discounts on their food. If you don't use their customer loyalty card, you will pay exorbitant prices. What with the card discount and weekly ad sales, it's kind of impossible to give you prices, because it can vary so wildly. I guess you could go by the Walmart prices, but, I don't know, I guess WM has some kind of program too, but don't remember enough about it. Seems like these places try as hard as possible to make it difficult for you to comparison shop. I do have a local Aldi, but never shop there--it's clear across town, but I will check it out ASAP. Went to a family Christmas party, and they had some big round crackers from Aldi that I liked, and I want to get some of those, and look at prices. I'll try to get prices from Aldi for you when I go there.

Buff

Enlightened
Wife shops Aldi all the time. We also shop at WM and Food Lion. WM is closest and Food lion is on the way home from her work. No sense driving all over the place burning lots of gas at these prices to save a little on groceries.
Aldi is the only place we go 10 miles out of the way but we always plan other shopping in the big city (Hickory lol) to justify the gas.
If you go to Aldi remember to bring a Quarter if you want a cart! Lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ground beef? No idea. Ground turkey or chicken, sometimes pork or a mixture of turkey/veal and pork for meatloaf. If pre-made burgers go on clearance we'll grab those.
White bread? No idea. We eat buns depending.
Milk? $5 from a local dairy. Store brand $4.

We get what we need then on the way to the check out grab crap we don't need, which adds about $20 to the bill.

We spent very little on groceries during November and December eating from the stockpile from earlier in the year.

We've seen the tab go from $100 to $150 in the last 3 years then $200 early this year but lately about $175.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I love milk never had it from a dairy .
In our case it's at the grocery store next to store brand milk that comes from a giant corparate owned dairy who knows where.

The local milk comes from a small, 5th generation family run farm about an hour away. Our meat, fruits and vegetables come from local farms too except bannanas. So an example, we only buy cantelope when it's in season. Some of it comes from a greenhouse.

At Thankgiving the store has gigantic frozen turkeys from overseas for like $8. We buy local, fresh turkeys for like $9. We don't need a 25 pound turkey so we buy what we'll eat in a couple of days. This year we cooked a 10 pound bird and the fam-damily ate most of it that day.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
gallon of milk: $4.79
pound of ground beef: $4 to $5*
loaf of bread: at least $2 but $3 to $5 is more typical

* I have a feeling meat prices are going way up on account of this:

I'm guessing after 2030 you won't be able to get cold cuts or hot dogs in NYC. There's also talk of heavily taxing red meat, although so far no legislation has been proposed. Probably wouldn't pass anyway. Bloomberg's proposed soda tax never made it.

My grocery bills haven't gone up significantly, but mostly because I just stop buying certain things once they pass the threshold of what I consider too expensive. I've already cut out most snack foods, most meat, soda, frozen convenience foods, plus a few other things I can't remember. I buy most of the rest of the stuff only when it goes on sale.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Some may know I grew up dirt poor omg the worst past was being hungry . Not the kind because you had a late lunch. The kind when you haven't aite in a day or two. Makes me see how blessed I am now but god I hope good cost slows down. And ps soon as mids pasta sauce goes on sale tell me. It's so darn yummy

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Going shopping in about 13 hours. Will update this post, then.
But yeah, prices are ridiculously insane!

Image 5-24-21 at 1.24 PM.jpg