Groundbreaking New Thrower!!The new DEFT-edc LR

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the hand picked aspheric lens have a shorter focal length than the one used in the EDC Deft.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hotspot looks to be the same size so focal length should be the same.

You can achieve the same size hot spot using a different aspheric lens with a shorter focal length. The emitter is positioned a little closer to the aspheric, which increases efficieny. Therefore more lux and lumens passes through the front of the torch. I am inquisitive to know if this is the case with the newer EDC LR

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if it's properly focused. The shorter the focal length, the shorter the emitter to lens distance required for optimal focus and larger the hotspot will be. Basic optics.

You can achieve the same size hot spot using a different aspheric lens with a shorter focal length. The emitter is positioned a little closer to the aspheric, which increases efficieny. Therefore more lux and lumens passes through the front of the torch. I am inquisitive to know if this is the case with the newer EDC LR

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

monkeyboy is quite correct. All the evidence is right there in the pictures. Same size beam= same focal distance. And I might add that just because a lens is closer does not mean that the performance will improve. In fact at a certain point it starts to degrade. The glass has an acceptance angle so anything more than that would just be reflected away. Same principal as TIR but in reverse. There is a fine balance in designing these lenses and I'd say Ahorton did a pretty good job.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just wondering how you are able to increase the lux by 20k lux?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just wondering how you are able to increase the lux by 20k lux?
Well I kind of said already. It is a light recycling technology that I developed along with the best of the best parts. The thread title is not meant to be marketing over hype. This is a genuine innovation not just for the flashlight industry but for the LED industry. With certain optics/LED combos I can achieve a close to 100% increase in intensity.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I kind of said already. It is a light recycling technology that I developed along with the best of the best parts. The thread title is not meant to be marketing over hype. This is a genuine innovation not just for the flashlight industry but for the LED industry. With certain optics/LED combos I can achieve a close to 100% increase in intensity.

I think that perhaps like myself, I have no idea what light recycling is?

So, if one purchases a NEW DEFT EDC LR: will it have extra parts in it or the same but better matched?

Thank you,
Jose

AutoTech

Enlightened
I really think you need to get some decent pics up of the beam shots, hope you don't mind me saying :D they just don't do it justice going by some pics and vids I've seen of the old model.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1! I would love to see some of the real beamshot experts' photos up on your site. Perhaps one of them might allow you to use the image for this purpose?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does this mean first run shipped, WAAAA HOOOO
It is in process right now.

Are there any lux measurements of the diffused beams?
With the diffuser in position 1 the lux is cut roughly in half. So about 25-30K cd but artifact free and broader. Funny that even diffused that much the DEFT-edc LR can still beat all the other P60 sized lights.

With your new technology, its it possible you could double the intensity on Surefire's TIR optic (LX2, E2DL) while keeping the same large hotspot?

I have not tested it with the Surefire optic. It most likely will have an increase but not double. Only one way to find out though. Want to send in your light to be modded?:)

The Coach

Enlightened
:party: Just got my shipping notice. Good thing I didn't leave for Tenn. :nana: I ordered a couple of Callie's Kustoms for it. Will the IMR work or should I just stick with the protected cell?