Hammock Camping!

colinjreed

Newly Enlightened
I've done a few trips with just a hammock, and I would definitely say that it is my preference to sleeping on the ground. I have a Kammok brand hammock, and an ENO rainfly, and use a sleeping pad that fits into my sleeping bag that helps keep me warm. The lightness and ease of carry of a hammock is amazing, and its great for naps during the day too!

Poppy

Flashaholic
My son has done some hammock camping, and has done some sections of the Appalachian Trail AT. He carries tyvec for a tarp. One night, he read or saw a youtube vid on using tyvec, and a emergency mylar blanket as a compact under-quilt, and went to work putting it together. By time he was done, it was a windy 17F outside, and he had to test it out.

He was pretty impressed with how much warmer he was than with his bag alone. He stayed out for a few hours, got some sleep, but finished the night inside in our heated cave :)

I got a little sticker shock when I saw the prices for under-quilts, so I decided to make one for him for Christmas.

I picked up a rip-stop nylon hammock from Kmart, bungee cord from Ramsey Outdoor, and polyester insulation from Walmart. It weighs 2 pounds and is 45 inches wide, by 54 inches long. So I guess it is a three quarter's under-quilt. I had intended to get thinsulate primaloft, but I was running out of time. I doubled up the insulation in the center, and not so much on the outer edges. I figured that if he continues to use his bag, that the insulation in his bag will be compressed in the center of the hammock, more so than along the edges, and the top, and therefore it would be better for the under-quilt to insulate the bottom, center more.

I believe that the primaloft would have to be quilted, whereas the batted polyester didn't have to be. I did tack it here and there to make sure it didn't move around too much though. If he likes it, but wants more compressibility, we can always open it up and use primaloft.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Very creative poppy, nice work on the underquilt. They sound like the only way to go for cold weather hammocking. I might just have to sack up and order one someday.

BabbyDaddy

Newly Enlightened
I do some hammock camping but not very often since my wife usually comes with me so we share a tent. I use a Dream Hammock Thunderbird, Superfly tarp from Warbonnet and top and under quilts from Underground Quilts. Slept once through a storm, took some time to fall asleep since the trees were swaying pretty hard plus I kept wondering if a large branch would fall on me. Stayed dried and slept well.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My son had given me his hammock when he got himself a new one. Since then I'd been curious about what it would be like with an under-quilt. Certainly I had to set the hammock up between two trees in the back yard, and try lying in it, just to see :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I hung it close to the ground, because no sooner did I get in one side that I fell out of the other!

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Look up Shug Emery on Youtube.

Many great Hammock videos. And he can juggle too!

cspringer510

Newly Enlightened
You have amazing photos from your campings! :thumbsup:

Just got home from an over night camp after our volunteer works, and tree planting activities. We camp near a lake and its my first time to bring my newly bought camping tent. I think I bought a cheap one since it easily got moist before it gets midnight.

I am even unprepared not to bring my sleeping bag, I can feel the stones in my back.

I think I need to have all the gears before going to another overnight camp or trekking. But I am too lazy to carry all those stuffs. :thinking:

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
I have done some hammock camping underground in caves and mines but dont like the idea of swinging off pitons fixed into the walls and I never get a good nights sleep waiting for the moment when you hit the floor,There is nothing like the security of a bombproof tree to fix to. my hammock is a cheap one bought from ebay and my tarp is a B&Q lightweight own brand but I have had some good service out of both hammock and Tarp.

in the paris catacombs on pitons

this was a lovely wild camp in North Wales UK a few weeks ago, Hammock camping is the only way

This site was so lovely, check the video if you have 5 mins,

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
kwan, you have some interesting vids. On that camping vid, it looks like you guys are camping right above a city or something?

That would be so cool to do (exploring vacant mines and such).

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Str8stroke, it was right above an old quarry and a hydro powerstation and reservoir, it was lovely :) but the lights are the town of Llanberis in North Wales UK.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make me want to pack up my hammocks and get to the UK and hang out with y'all for a few days! But we need to talk food arrangements. haha

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Hammocks for a shelter system have a been a personal favorite as of late. I wish i would have used them more in the past as they are very easy to pack and have a simple set-up.

pralfred

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a hammock for camping since last July. Having tasted of this wonderful method of camping, I doubt I will ever go back to a tent. I have an ENO Doublenest Hammock, with a bug net and a rainfly (also from ENO). I go camping at least once a month and have gotten really good at setting up/tearing down camp quickly and comfortably. For me, the hammock affords much less hassle, smaller storage space, and greater sleeping comfort.

One of the benefits of living in Texas is that I can camp year-round...though I'll admit that camping in the middle of December was the coldest I've ever been while camping. Temperature dropped to 22F overnight, and my service dog and I woke to a VERY brisk morning. Amazingly, I was nice and toasty warm inside my hammock, wrapped up in a mulberry-silk filled blanket. My service dog was equally warm wrapped in her own blanket and snuggled up inside the sidecar attached to my motorcycle. Like my hammock has become for me, the sidecar has become her home-away-from-home. I've thought about trying to get her trained to sleep in the hammock with me, but she has not been inclined to cooperate.

e9XGzvml.jpg

I was going to post a photo of my usual hammock setup, but I cannot find the photo. I'll take another one next time I'm out camping. For now, here's a picture of my dog and me on the bike.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i have a hamock on the way i now juts need a knot a idiot can tie