Harbor Freght AA/AAA

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
I need to stock up with a bulk buy of AAs for household use.Typically if I can't find any sales, I buy Ikea AAs, because I have found them to be good for the price.

I was at Harbor Freight and noticed they had big bricks of AA/AAA. I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything about them. Are they any good?

Fry's also has bricks of off-brand AAs. How are these in comparison to name-brand batteries? What is the favorite source for commodity alkaline cells? Any CPF vendors have good deals? I'm looking to buy maybe 50-100 cells.

cvo

Newly Enlightened
I need to stock up with a bulk buy of AAs for household use.Typically if I can't find any sales, I buy Ikea AAs, because I have found them to be good for the price.

I was at Harbor Freight and noticed they had big bricks of AA/AAA. I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything about them. Are they any good?

Fry's also has bricks of off-brand AAs. How are these in comparison to name-brand batteries? What is the favorite source for commodity alkaline cells? Any CPF vendors have good deals? I'm looking to buy maybe 50-100 cells.

I bought some of the HF AAA to run a caller ID without AC power. They last about Thirty days compared to around Forty days on Duracell.

You missed the deal at Home depot. They were selling 60 ER alkaline for about the same price as HF 24 pak.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
If you are using that many batteries wouldn't you be better off with Sanyo eneloop rechargeables ?

I don't feel I use a lot of AAs, it's just that I typically buy a years' supply of AAs at one time and try to get a good price on a large quantity rather than buy 8-packs of brand-name batteries at a high price.

I do have some eneloops for high-drain applications, but I still find a use for regular alkaline batteries for some things.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I don't feel I use a lot of AAs, it's just that I typically buy a years' supply of AAs at one time and try to get a good price on a large quantity rather than buy 8-packs of brand-name batteries at a high price.

I do have some eneloops for high-drain applications, but I still find a use for regular alkaline batteries for some things.

Not trying to pick an argument with you, but 50-100 batteries a year does seem rather a lot to me. I use eneloops in pretty well everything of mine these days, with their low self discharge they last well even in low drain applications like clocks etc, with a BIG bonus that I don't have to worry about any leakage ruining an appliance.

I have to admit I do put alkalines into the many el-cheapo lights I give away. I just can't bring myself to pay for 3 lithium primary AAAs for a $3.00 headlamp when I know that 90% of these lights will never get used (most people seem unable to pass up on a freebie regardless of whether they will ever use it or not). But for my stuff it is eneloops or primary lithiums every time.

budynabuick

Enlightened

Wrend

Enlightened

I was trying to think of a way to easily show the advantages of Eneloops compared to standard alkaline cells (maybe I should work for them and actually get payed to do this stuff). Trying to take varying costs of different cells and household electricity rates into account and specific capacities at different discharge rates was overly complicating things.

The simplest way I came up with so far is that in regards to cumulative lifetime capacity potential 1 AA Eneloop ≈ 1000 name brand AA alkalines.

Of course rechargeable cells are an investment you have to look after to get the most out of.

Last edited: