Harvested 18650s from laptop battery... now what?

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
I pulled out 6 Samsung ICR18650-22F light green cells. A quick search seems to show they are 2200mAh cells... nothing about being protected though.

They are identical to the one in this picture except the bottom code is 19A4 instead of 1BB2 (seems like a production date code).

I checked voltages (Fluke 87 DVM)
- 2 cells @ 3.781V
- 2 cells @ 4.030V
- 2 cells @ 4.120V

Now what?

:shrug:

$%28KGrHqN,%21ikFCd%28btD-8BQqvTptKPg%7E%7E60_35.JPG

EDIT: added picture

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a hobby charger, charge to 4.2V and do a discharge capacity test with 1 to 1.5A discharge rate. Charging cells and getting it to 4.17 to 4.2V volts will not tell you the real health of those cells.

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
I guess I need to get a charger now :D

Probably should get a decent one that's not going to blow up the batteries... I'm not looking for absolute bleeding-edge peak voltage; something that will maximize their life would be best. Any suggestions?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably should get a decent one that's not going to blow up the batteries... I'm not looking for absolute bleeding-edge peak voltage; something that will maximize their life would be best. Any suggestions?

I have an iCharger 106B+ hobby charger. I have decided on this after reading a number of good reviews among forum members here, and I am very satisfied and happy with it. In fact, experimenting with old laptop cells with it has become a second hobby for me.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened

The Pila IBC is one of the most recommended li-ion chargers around here.

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
I bought this one, Nitecore i4.

It comes in two-cell-bay varieties, too.

Since they're unprotected, don't bring them below 3.0 V or they'll die. Ask me how I know....

OH, and these cells will support 5 A draw (at least), again, ask me how I know....

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila IBC is one of the most recommended li-ion chargers around here.

No doubt it is, as I have one too, but it's only a charger, can't do discharge capacity test at various discharge rates, which is I think is a must when harvesting cells from laptop battery packs.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I have a question about the discharge test. How does the average Joe- yet Flashahaulic do a 1A or 1.5A drain/capacity test??? If we don't have a discharger, do we need something that draws a known 1 Amp? Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello LightCrazy,

Perhaps it is time to invest in a hobby charger...

Or, you can visit a field where people are running RC cars and airplanes and ask someone there if they can do a discharge test for you.

Tom

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I used to be heavy into R/C cars and trucks. I have a Hobby Charger that fast charges and discharges batteries, but NiCad. Not LiIon. I also have a Hobbico R/C Multi-Charger, Model HCAP 0100, it charges anywhere from 10mA to 500mA, but it also is designed for NiCad batteries.

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
I still have a Tekin reflex charger from way way back... probably not much good for anything other than NiCads

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
Is doing discharge testing really necessary? It's not like you're calculating gearing and laps around the track... it's for a flashlight. Charge it, put it in light, use it... if the runtime is too low, cell not good. No?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello DrScum,

With nickel chemistry that is fine.

However, li-ion chemistry can be a lot more dangerous so it is better to test and have some peace of mind.

Tom