Has anyone ever modified one of these for more lumens?

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
Spec Lite made by Barrel Service company in San Diego original manufacturer of the Bianchi B-Lite.
image-13_med.jpeg

image-15_med.jpeg

The machining is phenomenal and the barrel is twice as thick as the Mag Lights today.
They are totally cheap and worth upgrading to better LED's if anyone has figured out how to get a
few hundred lumens out of one I would love to know what parts I would need.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum!
Crack that puppy open, and take some nice clear photos of the driver/ heatsink/ emitter. Get some dimensions and maybe there is an easy way to toss a modern LED in there.

Honestly speaking, probably won't be an easy upgrade. That which was made for incandescent will almost certainly require some machining to fab up a pill that will hold a driver and emitter, and mate with your existing reflector.

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pics.
DSCN5676_zpsppiuvhem.jpg
DSCN5678_zpsp9vo9ddz.jpg
DSCN5679_zpsmlsmvzbe.jpg
DSCN5680_zps5dmoap0e.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Crack that puppy open, and take some nice clear photos of the driver/ heatsink/ emitter. Get some dimensions and maybe there is an easy way to toss a modern LED in there.

Honestly speaking, probably won't be an easy upgrade. That which was made for incandescent will almost certainly require some machining to fab up a pill that will hold a driver and emitter, and mate with your existing reflector.

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
Fabbing up a pill that will hold a driver and emitter, and mate with or replace my existing reflector is what I had in mind.
Reflector is 2" diameter

Last edited:

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
Flat aluminum plate 1.81" diameter should press in nice and tight above switch to mount led. not sure about heat dissipation. I could use shims to adjust height of led in relation to reflector. can mounting plates be purchased or do they need to be custom made?

jayrob

Enlightened
Well I found a really nice coated acrylic lens, and am using an aluminum reflector with XML-2 U4...

The driver is 3 Amps, 3 mode. (L,M,H) Same driver as I use in my 1930's Eveready mod... (driver details shown there)

1000+ Lumens...

For this mod, the battery supply that must be used is 3 X D sized NiMH cells...

Since the switch is in the head of the light, it has very limited room and I had to make a custom heatsink, as well as some machine work inside the head. (see pics below)

The heatsink is thin, but wide, and rests on bare metal of the head for heat transfer. The aluminum reflector is 'pressed' onto the heatsink and is in effect also part of the heatsink. (fixed focus - best spot)

spec1.jpg

spec2.jpg

spec3.jpg

This next picture shows how tight the room is inside the head because of the switch location.

I turned the switch sideways to give a tad more room but it's still takes up a lot of room inside...

spec4.jpg

spec5.jpg

In the end, it's a really beautiful mod and as mentioned, a really solid host.

But the bad part is the switch location. Making it a very difficult light to mod...

Last edited:

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
Where did you find the reflector and lens? I still have 4 more of these to do. It looks awesome.
Well I found a really nice coated acrylic lens, and am using an aluminum reflector with XML-2 U4...

The driver is 3 Amps, 3 mode. (L,M,H) Same driver as I use in my 1930's Eveready mod... (driver details shown there)

1000+ Lumens...

Since the switch is in the head of the light, it has very limited room and I had to make a custom heatsink, as well as some machine work inside the head. (see pics below)

The heatsink is thin, but wide, and rests on bare metal of the head for heat transfer. The aluminum reflector is 'pressed' onto the heatsink and is in effect also part of the heatsink. (fixed focus - best spot)

spec1.jpg

spec2.jpg

spec3.jpg

This next picture shows how tight the room is inside the head because of the switch location.

I turned the switch sideways to give a tad more room but it's still takes up a lot of room inside...

spec4.jpg

spec5.jpg

In the end, it's a really beautiful mod and as mentioned, a really solid host.

But the bad part is the switch location. Making it a very difficult light to mod...

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Used this reflector (needed just a small amount of machine work to lessen the outside diameter a little)

Used this lens (comes with plastic peel off protection on each side - had to use my mini belt sander to take the edges down just a little to lessen the diameter)

For the lens, there is one available at 50.7mm, and another at 51.3mm (I don't remember which one I ordered but you can measure the stock lens and get the one that is closest)

But take a close look at the pictures I posted because this modification requires machine work inside the head, as well as a custom heatsink that must be fit precisely so that the reflector will fit onto it and the bezel will screw on to hold everything tight. (very little tolerance - difficult to modify this light)

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if a single 21700 would work with this Instead of three D-cells.
At the time that I had you build this, I didn't know anything about lithium cells.

D cells are closer to 32600.

I have one of these Bianchi B-Lites - NIB. There is a lot of necro-posting going on lately. Must be the way the forum software recommends threads.

Latest posts