Has anyone ever used strobe mode?

sspc

Newly Enlightened
Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Strobe Mode?

Outside of just messing around, I have never needed Strobe, but I do like to have it as a hidden/burried mode on my flashlights as I view strobe like I view seatbelts in a vehicle...I haven't "needed" a seatbelt in over 20 years but I wear it everyday.

rgoal30

Newly Enlightened
I'm a LEO and a strobe is recommended in my Depts tactical training. From personal experience a well placed strobe can discourage a person from continuing to approach when told to stop.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Mostly, pointing a bright light into a guys eyes that shuts down his retinas works about the same....all the strobe does is add a little confusion to the mix, buying maybe another second or so to take control of the situation.

People expecting to be strobed are pretty much immune to it, because there's no confusion as to what's happening, you already KNOW the light is going to be bright, and flashing, and that its a strobe...etc.

Its like throwing a flashbang when they don't know what its going to do, vs them knowing its coming, opening their mouths/covering their ears, etc...If you KNOW there's going to be a giant BANG, you brace, wait it out, and go.

If you see something tossed in, and think maybe its tear gas, and take a big breath and hold it...when that BANG goes off, you are one hurtin puppy. :devil:

Same thing for strobe...or even a solid blinding light, if you know its coming, you are ready for it...and its just annoying.

That's why MOST posts here seem to use strobe as a BEACON light....which is DESIGNED for the type of signaling that most are using the strobe for. So the strobe works great as a beacon too of course...as many have attested to.

I WOULD like to see strobe de-emphasized as a "Tactical" tool though, as too many are not really aware of the best way to use it, and might accidentally use it when they shouldn't, etc.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened

I have a question. What's the use of randomize strobe vs lights with regular strobe? I have a new Fenix LD12, and the strobe on it is random. My old Fenix LD20 has strobe mode that blast strobe at a constant interval. Why would LD12 be made to have random strobe? Whats the usage?
Pardon me if my English is bad.

Random strobes are suppose to be more difficult for the eyes/mind to overcome. Strobes that run at a fixed rate are like a song with a constant tempo/rhythm...we quickly "sync" to the tempo and can then "dance". If the tempo/rhythm is constantly and randomly changing, we cannot adapt/sync.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My mother is a little deaf. I once used strobe in the window to let her know I was outside for a visit.

I also used it once at burger king when the crew in the back stood around gabbing for 10 minutes while I stood at the register. I aimed it at the floor but it got their attention.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I would think that some reflectors would work better for this application.

I guess it depends on HOW MUCH attention you wanted to draw.

Typically, if drivers see a strobe up ahead, they detour assuming there's a LEO operation/accident/emergency in progress...but if they see an ordinary reflector, they might notice it/not run you over, but they are not taking a different route.

:D

Personally, I think its overkill/unfair to use a strobe like a bike light...and if enough people start doing it, it will then fall into the norm, and no longer garner the attention, or the tactical element, that was its premise.

Maybe if I was crossing and a speeding motorist needed to be slapped upside the head with an attention getting device to not HIT me...but not to drive along with a strobe going off, etc.

:D

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I use a slow frequency strobe setting on my headlamp when cycling along with a main light for lighting up the road. I once used a steady light but quickly realized that drivers at intersections usually ignored me, with one almost running me over when I had the right-of-way but they were too impatient. Rather puzzling since my lights are in the 150-600 lms range. So, I now turn on the low frequency strobe to ensure they see me - so far, it's worked really well.

A word of caution about using strobe settings in public: I once used a strobe during a night-time arts festival when there was music playing and I was reminded that there are now more than a few people who are adversely affected by strobes and that using the light in this fashion may cause a photosensitive, epileptic seizure.

bbb74

Enlightened
I use the slow frequency (4 hertz) strobe on zebralights as flashing bike lights. They're excellent for this.

At night time the red h51r is too bright to be used like a normal bike blinky and needs to be pointed at the ground.

4 hertz is perfect as its outside the danger zone for epilepsy problems. Its actually about the right speed for a bike light too - not too fast, not too slow.

buds224

Enlightened
Personally, I think its overkill/unfair to use a strobe like a bike light...and if enough people start doing it, it will then fall into the norm, and no longer garner the attention, or the tactical element, that was its premise.

Agreed. I was impressed with the 270lumen warning mode on my Jetbeam ST Cycler. Shines a floody 270lumens and pulses an intermittent burst of turbo at a very low frequency. Not as distracting as strobe, but still will get enough attention on the road.

*** I also use it for night time walks.

bbb74

Enlightened

Actually I don't agree, most drivers associate a slow strobe or blinky light with a bike (I'm not talking about a higher frequency strobe here). It can increase the distance at which a driver recognises that there is a bike coming up. If one day there are so many people using this type of light on bikes that it doesn't get attention any more, then drivers will be so used to bikes being everywhere that they will be on the lookout for them already, and the lights won't be as necessary anyway.

Anyway, if it increases your visibility its going to do that regardless of whether other people are using the same technique. Its often a question of not being seen at all (SMIDSY) vs being seen. Its not about standing out from the crowd.

buds224

Enlightened
Sounds like it's a matter of defining the line between strobe and blinky/flashing. I still agree with TEEJ on strobe, but blinky doesn't bother me as a driver.

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened
Anyone actually use Strobe?

I am curious to know if you have ever actually needed to use the strobe function on a flashlight - I have half a dozen lights with this function and sure, I've flicked it onto strobe every now and then but realistically, I cannot ever see me using it....well, I guess I hope I never have to! The beacon function seems like a much more useful tool to me - I have used small flashing leds in the past to mark my campsite if I'm off photographing critters. What's your feelings about strobe?

texas cop

Enlightened
Re: Anyone actually use Strobe?

I use strobe on suspects and to signal other officers. Feisty drunks become blind feisty drunks.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
I use strobe to annoy my wife and kids. I also use it when people are drinking because its funny to mess with drunks and set the dance floor mood.

I actually used it once at night when there was a broke down car on the side of the road at night. Strobe is good to put on a vehicle that is in a dangerous spot. I didn't shine it in the oncoming drivers eyes, it was pointed down. It worked well, every car slowed down.

Latest posts