Have we witnessed the death of the audiophile? ...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
all my gear as a kid came from dumpsters id look for stuff in them like it was christmas for me . id fix it what ever it was we was poor so if it needed parts id just improvise lol

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
My balm for body, mind and soul

IMG_0102.jpeg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think because today, even the really cheap stuff is good. I have a pair of back headphones that are a clone of AKG K240. They sound truly phenomenal. I paid $30 for them. They're so good. I bought a pair for everyone in my house. I have wired IEMs that I paid $15 for that sound as good as a $300 pair. You don't need to spend a lot of money, or even be an audiophile, to have great sounding equipment

raggie33

*the raggedier*
these kids today have like 18 inch wolfers in there cars lol . always sounds so bad when they drive by only base

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what breed is he he looks like a german shepard my fav breed other then a mutt

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
what breed is he he looks like a german shepard my fav breed other then a mutt
Lol. He's a Dutch shepherd. So close. Almost think of a German shepherd with the personality of a Belgian Mallinois. He's a bit of a handful. But he's a great dog. And a monumental suck. He's upset in the picture because there's no backseat in that van that he can stick his head out the window and try to bite the oncoming cars

Lol. He's a Dutch shepherd. So close. Almost think of a German shepherd with the personality of a Belgian Mallinois. He's a bit of a handful. But he's a great dog. And a monumental suck. He's upset in the picture because there's no backseat in that van that he can stick his head out the window and try to bite the oncoming cars
I thought Ben looked unhappy. I assumed he just didn't like having his picture taken.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love them type dogs there good protecters . i kind of dont like them fancy looking dogs people cary in there purse like maltease etc etc/

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
these kids today have like 18 inch wolfers in there cars lol . always sounds so bad when they drive by only base

I recall listening to the stereo in a small pickup as it rolled by. The bed had a cap on it and it was filled with gear. It had way too much bass, and it sounded as though the entire truck was falling apart -- I could hear a lot of sheet metal and hardware rattling, like nuts and bolts in a coffee can! :cool:

I recall listening to the stereo in a small pickup as it rolled by. The bed had a cap on it and it was filled with gear. It had way too much bass, and it sounded as though the entire truck was falling apart -- I could hear a lot of sheet metal and hardware rattling, like nuts and bolts in a coffee can! :cool:
I'm reminded of a part of Chris Rock's video - Turn that $hit off! :yellowlaugh:

TPA

Enlightened
My 2 cent, the under 30 crowd has never heard good audio. It's all ear buds & mp3 files or speakers the size of an egg roll. A clean recording of an oldie played on a good system BLOWS their mind
I'd argue most people haven't heard good audio. When people would visit my listening room, some described it as almost a spiritual experience. It's fun watching people hear their favourite songs "for the first time." Individual instruments pop out. Unintended noise creep in, such as piano benches creaking, squeaky drum pedals, trucks driving outside the recording studio, even a guitar physically cracking during the recording.

While my listening room is quite humble compared to this, I always like seeing someone pursue true perfection:

So in recent years I rarely listened to music, until a few months ago, when -- after turning off my laptop for the night -- I began using our cable box to go to YouTube (YT) and listening that way. Lately I've been listening to live covers of songs I like, for something different. It's more enjoyable watching bands play live (rather than just listening), and while it can be hit and miss, if they are done well, cover versions of songs I've listened to for 40-50 years can be a refreshing change.
I turned my TV off in 2009 or 2010 (I can't remember now) when they went digital and basic cable went up to $80USD. HUGE improvement in my quality of life.

YouTube is GREAT for finding obscure recordings and obscure songs. Plenty of rough, raw, and bootleg recordings. I actually like these gritty type recordings better than studio recordings. Often so much more energy and honesty.

All are objectively better than vinyl records/LPs: S/N ratio; dynamic range; frequency response; stereo separation; distortion are all better with WAV files (CDs) or lossless compression like FLAC. Subjectively, there are people who prefer the sound of records. There is no point in debating that -- it's like arguing over whether broccoli tastes good. People like what they like. Some people like tube amps even though the 'warm' sound they refer to is distortion. To each their own.
Just because something is digital doesn't mean it's better. Quality ADCs / DACs make a HUGE difference to digital audio. The audio output of most computers is pretty rubbish. Connect up even a cheap USB-based DAC and things start to open up more, even with relatively cheap stereos. The format definitely is better on-paper, and with good practices can be as well. I've heard great analog and digital and I've also heard both which were abysmal. The latter including some of my work over the years.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I have experienced good audio ONCE, back in 1998. Though I know I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time, I was old enough to recognize how audio is supposed to sound like, compared to anything I had heard until that point. All I remember was the speaker price: $20000 per pair. And the guy had 3 pairs. Plus subwoofers. This was a specially built home cinema setup.

But that experience was enough for me to be critical of what I buy for myself in the audio department. I don't have the space or the budget or the interest to build a home cinema, but I am satisfied with my own 2:1 setup for my 28m² room.

The subwoofer was purchased used, so I don't have the exact specifications, but from what I have been able to gather, it's a 150W Celestion. That is all I know about it. Speakers are a pair of Zachry F-series, GX-12 kit. Each speaker has twin 12" bass, single 6,5" mid-range + 2" tweeter. 550W. Don't use any digital connections, but every cable is from Supra / Jenving.

Got everything connected to an Yamaha R-S700 amplifier (upgraded from Onkyo TX-SR600), which is connected to my PC through an Asus Essence STX audio card.
My headset is a Shure SRH-840. Portables / ear buds is Philips ActiveFit (don't need or want expensive ear buds when I'm doing my walks).

However, I will admit to my sin, and say I don't listen to much in the FLAC format. I feel my speakers isn't doing a "raw" format justice, so I tend to stick to 192-320 kbps .mp3. But I watch a LOT of movies, and I only go for the 7 GB rips. 15-25 GB if it's a good movie. Which is why I have a 100 TB home server (currently ~45 % full), and a 10 Gbit home network.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't miss the complications that go with an audiophile set up anymore.

It's like when I was taking pictures of beautiful scenery and got so hung up on the getting that perfect photo I missed out on the whole beautiful scene experience.

The other day I listenned to Annie Lennox "why" with my Shure ear buds and the music sounded so sweet, it didn't matter if the bass wasn't perfect or the sound stage a little narrow. I enjoyed the experience of getting goose bumps from hearing a great song in my own private Idaho. And the equipment required fits in my shirt pocket.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
It's like when I was taking pictures of beautiful scenery and got so hung up on the getting that perfect photo I missed out on the whole beautiful scene experience.
This is why I won't go on those caribbean vacations or whatever. Or do much leisure traveling at all. Because I know I will only be so focused on getting the best images that I can of the place, that I will pretty much forget that I am actually there to just enjoy the moment.

If my only memories will be those taken through a lens, I don't see the point. Might as well save myself the money, and the inevitable stress of getting in and out of airports. I can't handle heat either. Much above 20°C in the sun, and I'm rendered incapable of doing much of anything.

So for me, the "complications of an audiophile setup" might actually be a worthwhile replacement to travels. Sadly still the cash and space deficiencies to take care of though. And I do want that RTX 5090 when it is available.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Once upon a time my vacation was my living room between two speakers sitting in a swivel rocker. I'd go on a record binge and spend the next few months listening to music in the sweet spot.

These days I leave the camera(s) at home. Last time I used my Nikon for some mushroom macro's I had to get out the instruction book.

Reactions: TPA