Have You Found Your Perfect Light Yet

red02

Enlightened
4) I saved the toughest one for last. 2 secondary battery tubes permitting the use of AA and AAA primary and rechargeable cells. I'd run 123s normally and keep the other tubes in the glovebox or around the house. I don't expect the same level of output but it would make it a TRUE emergency light. I'd sell every other single cell light I own and have a few of these on hand.

This is the only thing that has kept me from getting the Ra. Liteflux and Novatac have done this...

For now I'm pretty close to set with the Zebralight H501. Perfect for about 98% of everything.

gollum

Enlightened
No I have not yet found my perfect light.

but it doesn't exist

YET

I want 0-1000 lumens in a flood to throw focusable bezel

trit slots
tailstand
forward switch
neutral or warm white
UV/red/green/blue secondary light
Blue ray laser pointer

usb/magnetic/solar chargeable
32Gb memory card
3D Tv screen and iPhone type apps
epirp location finder
might aswell throw in a key holder and auto knife blade and bottle opener

the company that eventually comes up with this gadget will rule the roost:hitit:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Well - this is the first proper light I've ever owned, that is, not a Maglite or acquired at a gas station or such things. It's the Malkoff MD2, it's awesomely bright and small enough to keep in my pocket, where I do keep it wherever I go in the world.

At this point I'm looking for one that won't fit in my pocket instead.. MD4 Wildcat, I'm looking at you. :D But the MD2 is perfect for me. Not too big, not too small, not too complicated (one button, who would want more than one?), not too short battery life.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Mine is the McGizmo LS 20. I knew it the first time I ever saw one. I couldn't wait to get one for myself. I have carried it every day since it arrived and have not bought another light. Before the LS20 I was buying a light or 2 a month in my search.

TAC1

Newly Enlightened
If we're speaking about having 1 light that will fulfill any role I put it, then no. I have a favorite, but nothing is ever perfect.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a long search , I now have the perfect torch.

I realise that it would be better if it was a bit brighter with more than one mode and it would be nice if the batteries lasted longer ... I wish that it was just an inch or two shorter and about half the weight ... If it was thinner , it would fit in the hand a bit better ... The finish seems to scratch too easily and I think that the head looks a bit too wide for the body ... I think that a glass lens would be more scratch resistant too ... Sometimes you have to shake it a bit to get it to come on and you can hear it rattle a bit.

Yes , it's nice to have actually found my perfect torch (to lend to people).

datan

Newly Enlightened
I haven't found my perfect one yet ;) But am trying very hard to (only now) spending decent money on better quality lights.

Have a TK12 on its way to me soon and possibly also a Quark Ti AA :)

Then onwards I think I'll have to try quaity over quantity. A few cheapo lights in the past have not impressed me and cheapo rechargeables don't make me a fan. Changing the way I buy will definitely make it easier for me to find 'the one' :thumbsup:

Cheers
Daniel

mbw_151

Enlightened
If I found the perfect light I would have to stop looking. Flashaholism would end as I currently know it. What fun would that be?

The manufacturers are getting closer. My LX2 and Saint only required an emitter change. My Ra only required a custom clip. Let the quest continue!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found my perfect light and it´s name is Surefire E1L Outdoorsman.

PROS:
Natural colored hard anodization.
Agressive knurling.
Glass window.
TIR optics (I love throw!)
Just 2 modes (high and low - KISS principle), with low first.
Small size (powered by 1xCR123).
Tailclickie (no twisty!)
Waterproof
Bombproof (maybe...)

CONS:
Too expensive (I wish it could be cheaper...)
Lack of lanyard hole.

:party:

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Have I found my perfect light yet? Well there are none that can do absolutely everything I need, since that would need to at the same time be - small enough to fit in a pocket, big enough to get a good grip on wearing gloves outdoors, a wide enough beam at appropriate power to illuminate my immediate surroundings but also be able to throw a spot of light a few hundred meters away...

On the other hand I am slowly piecing together a collection of lights to suit different needs, some of which I am happy with, some I have settled with compromises for the moment...

For EDC and camping the Fenix L1T suits me perfectly - decent enough runtime, two useful output settings, simple clicky and UI operation. Exactly what I want.

At the same time I also have a 3d Maglite with a Terralux dropin which so far has suited me perfectly for the 'big light' job that can throw a fairly bright beam a good distance. Certainly there may be better lights out there, but the cost has mostly set me with the Maglite for now until I can get something to directly compare.

The one other light I need is a small pocket light, which I am carrying a Fenix LD01 to do at the moment - The main downsides to it is that for me the UI is more complicated than I would want - if they could make a AAA L1T I would be in heaven (80/16 lumens, clicky switch, AAA battery) but until that appears I can make do with the LD01.

So I have partly found the perfect light, and in the cases I haven't it is mostly because I have not yet found something that ticks all the boxes I need and I can afford.

Art

Enlightened
Not yet too... still carry more then 1 light at a time lol

For now I think that the perfect light would be something like a Led Lenser M5 with proper heat sink , proper regulation and 18650. 500lumens and flood to throw capabilities and small for EDC.... am just salivating here now lol

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Tri-V were waterproof, not just water resistant, I would consider it to be as close to perfect (for me) as I've been able to find.
It really does make me wonder if I need to keep all these other lights around.:thinking:

I could not have said it better. I agree fully.

Karl

Reaper

Enlightened
Kraid,

I'll go along with you. My 6R, which is now a 6P, is used for almost everything I need a light for. With the Malkoff's of mine plus my UB set, I run from 1x123, 2x123, 3x123 and AA's. Now, if I could use the Malkoff Hi/low ring in a 6P it'll be even better.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Ra Clicky :party: (gripes: pretty big/thick & clip)

2. tie between McGizmo Mclux III Ti-Pd-S and Haiku (gripes: expensive:) )

I am actually content with what I have now. No urges to buy anymore flashlights which is a good thing for my wallet:). I am waiting for the 2AA battery compartment for the Ra Clicky plus the Headlamp.

Last edited:

post tenebras

Enlightened
I have not found my perfect EDC, but I have found nice lights that have helped me determine what would be perfect for me:

Aluminum, black or blue anodizing
Single AA battery
Clicky switch
Deep pocket clip, bezel down
Two levels: High and Low. Period.
Brightest, state-of-the-art LED (I love my Arc Mania EM-AA XP-G S2)
High quality, USA made strongly preferred
Smallest form factor to accommodate the above

Lagavulin16

Newly Enlightened
The Orb Raw SS appears to be perfect for me (esp. with the blue tritium inserts). However, it looks like it'll be awhile before they're available.