Have you Malkoff'd your Maglite (yet)?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I normally use NIMH batteries in mine. I believe Malkoff even recommended them for his higher output Maglite drop-in, that I don't see on his site at the moment. I know everyone has different needs. If there was a way to do a high low ring I would really like that too. I have just always wanted a low mode option on Maglite, I have even emailed them about it. The eco made on the newer ones increase runtime, but it is still too high for my liking. I guess that is why I don't use them as much as my other lights. I am not sure how long a moonlight mode would last on 3 D cells, but I would imagine, quite a long time.

VeeBee

Newly Enlightened
I did to my 3 D Cell. I couldn't just let the Maglite waste away; it was still in excellent condition. It is a worthy upgrade.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Picked up an older 2-3 D malkoff drop in and like it. Decent throw and tint and should have ok run times. Not exactly pocket friendly but perfect for house and car, and wife likes it because of the single click-she hates any other UI, so she has it under her side of the bed.

Seems to me I'm going against my early mantra of only one or two battery types and sizes when I first started collecting, and am now getting examples of lights of every battery type for the what if scenarios, and especially those lights that can use multiple battery types.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older 3-6c in a 3c Mag that lives in my glovebox. Not sure if it's an xp-g or xp-g2.
Either way, a few hundred reliable lumens for a long time.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 13380
Got a 3-6c in this one and thanks to Cathy Malkoff sending me an adapter/collar, I have a 4-6c drop in, added to my pre-lettered serial number 2c maglite. I picked up a few aa-c adapters and stuck 14500's in them. I hope it won't kill the leds, even though I know it's below the voltage.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
What are the odds of anyone being able to convince Gene to make warm maglite dropins, so we don't have to go from incandescent to cool white LED

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd do that GB! What Maglite though? I just bought one from the evilauctionsite for a steal with a 3D mag and 5700K SST, actually quite a great pairing. I'd love a 3k SST though, or even a 2700K........

To the sounding board?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene's been doing quite a few group buys lately and he's always been open to special requests, unlike my brother, the dj. He takes requests but never plays them. Moving on, i think that's exactly what my eyes have been craving, even though it didn't take that much convincing to buy any of my last 10 maglite drop ins

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my Maglights (2aa, 2d, and 4d) have NiteIze LED drop-ins. They're not powerful, but they get amazing runtime the d-cell lights can be focused like a laser. These flashlights get used so rarely that I just can't justify dropping in anything more expensive.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my Maglights (2aa, 2d, and 4d) have NiteIze LED drop-ins. They're not powerful, but they get amazing runtime the d-cell lights can be focused like a laser. These flashlights get used so rarely that I just can't justify dropping in anything more expensive.
I have a NiteIze in one of my 3D and an AdventureSport in the other. A warm Malkoff to replace the NiteIze would be nice.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had this XPG2 drop in for awhile now. This big blue Mag it is in also has the custom low impedance switch from Adventure Sports. The resulting beam profile is wider than my house. The lights hot spot is near laser like.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to remember when I got my first Mag-Lite drop-ins from Malkoff, so I went looking and found this.

This was the 3rd order I placed to Malkoff, and got 2 D-cell drop-ins.

I kept 1 with me at work (3 cells, in my work bag) and the second at home, as a spare.

Attachments

• 2008-07-28 - Malkoff order 647 - Mag-Lite 2-3 D-cell  Drop-Ins - 2   .jpg
    2008-07-28 - Malkoff order 647 - Mag-Lite 2-3 D-cell Drop-Ins - 2 .jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 92

fulee9999

Enlightened
Just imagine a 90 lumen high-cri Malkoff drop-in, that thing could go for weeks in one go!
Also if you somehow convince Gene to make a high CRI variant please ping me as well, it only took a few years of nagging to get him make a 21700 body :D

CHNeal

Enlightened
Upgrading a mag light was what first brought me here all those years ago ( previous account). It sent me down a rabbit hole that I think I have at least seen the bottom of.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taking advantage of the necro bump, how do Lumencraft's drop-ins compare to Malkoff's?
d26 do not really compare to lumencraft large reflector. Malkoff maye be top of the line quality wise, but LC drop ins are also well made and reliable, as long as you do not install them on a gun, and recoil is not a concern, if that is the case, malkoff will probably lasts longer. Now if we talking 2000-3500lm drop ins, then malkoff has nothing of the kind.