HD/Disk imaging software?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Just .02. I purchased a utility called CasperXP ("Casper, the friendly ghost") It runs in Windows, and is supposed to make a bit for bit copy. Saved my butt when my OS pooched during an attempted repair- I'm now booting on my back-up drive.

Larry

Luff

Enlightened
I much prefer Acronis True Image over Norton Ghost or Powerquest's Drive Image. Haven't tried CasperXP, but it sounds great.

Acronis True Image doesn't require booting to DOS to make or restore images. To me, that's a big benefit. I even imaged some of my drives in the background while doing non-critical work on the desktop.

True Image does an incredible job compressing data and it hasn't glitched in any way shape or form. It can be configured to do a bit-for-bit image with no compression, too. It's emergency restore system allows you to create boot disks on several floppies, or on one CD. I made both just in case.

My only gripe is True Image will only create an image of entire partition, so I can't skip the Windows swap file or some others. But then, True Image isn't a backup application, it's a mirroring system.

I'd only be guessing about the Dell mini partition issue, sorry.

Using a 2nd HD is the fastest, most convenient backup method I've ever used ... which means I actually keep a pretty current backup set.

You can save yourself some grief later by setting up your partitions something along these lines:

DISK 1
C:\ = Operating system
D:\ = Applications
E:\ = Data

DISK 2
F:\ = Backup

Using this partition setup means I can image just the operating system & my data files to the backup partition on a regular basis. I also use Disk 2 for other off-line storage that I don't care about keeping forever.

I image the applications partition only after installing a major new application (its easy to reinstall a single appliction from the original setup disks if need be, and probably quicker than restoring the entire drive). The only hassle putting all applications on a separate partition is having to specify that partition on each software installation rather than just accepting Microsoft's default "C:\Program Files" offering.

Just to be on the safe side, I image my data partition to the second hard drive and then backup it up by burning it on a CD. Personal data files are the only truly irreplaceable stuff, and by putting all those files in one relatively small partition, it makes backup a lot easier.

Just because I'm overly cautious, particularly redundant and want a final failsafe, I create an entire system tape backup every six months & store the tapes off premisis. Since getting Acronis True Image, I haven't needed to restore from tape.

BTW - the hard disk partitioning strategy isn't an original idea ... PC Magazine suggested it about 6 years ago.

LEDagent, good luck on the system restore ... and here's hoping never have another disk crash!