HDX NiMH AA/AAA

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with HDX brand NiMH AA/AAA, which are sold at Home Depot? No doubt reviews are out there, just asking informally.

They are sold in 12-packs, $15 Cdn. for AAA (800mAh) and $20 for AA (2000mAh); also 24-packs. Made in China, they appear to be low-self-discharge type. AA cost is roughly on par with Ikea Ladda 1900mAh $7 per 4-pack.

Dave

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Close to ladda price just get laddas. If the hdx were made in Japan I would say get them. There are a few Chinese manufacturers that make good cells. Unfortunately they are buried in a sea of junk. Do ya feel lucky? https://www.ebay.com/itm/186155693406
Has aaa too.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything HD sells under HDX brans is low end stuff, idk whether hdx is an actual manufacturer, or just stamp their brand on product someone else makes, i tend to think the later is true. (same way costco has kirkland, which is a brand they stamp on good items, under a license) since everything hdx sell is low end stuff, so will the battery, i would not waste my money on this lottery, get what is proven to be a quality stuff. It will always be cheaper. You buy crappy things they fail fast, then you have to buy good stuff later anyway, might as well eliminate first step.
LOw quality is ok for packing tape, drop cloth, cheap brushes.... but batteries are different.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloop and LADDA are alternatives and right up there, but this misses the point and does not answer the question, looking for anyone who has used HDX, or knows of someone else who has. Everything else sounds like speculation. I don't assume anything.

I just read a favourable report on HDX alkalines, however don't automatically extend this to NiMH. So far everything obtained through HD has been good quality, they have a good reputation IMO, not sure why this would necessarily be an exception.

I don't need any NiMH at the moment, but could easily grab LADDA OTC. I used to pass by Ikea twice every weekday to/from work, regardless it is not too far. HD is also convenient. Problem with HDX is minimum 12-pack just to check it (over $22 total), 4-pack would be OK.

Dave

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well until someone tests them and uses them a few years we won't know. Little incentive to do that when laddas are well known and near the same price

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still hoping for someone to report on HDX cells. I trust LADDA, however who'd have thought cells sold by a furniture chain would be right up there.

Curious that Ikea dropped prices here on LADDA AA 1900 (now $6/4 pack) and AAA ($5/4-pack) and the great little Stenkol charger (now $6). I recall they dropped prices on the previous LADDA generation before replacing them. In spite of temptation I have all I need, just taking note.

Dave