Headlamp covers?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The lens markings are not forged -- the manufacturer put them on. What they are is fraudulent.
Fraudulent is definitely the better word. Pretty hard to forge your own signature ;)

I also notice there are some lens markings *missing* here. Are they aimed VOL or VOR? If mechanically aimed like a sealed beam, where are the aiming bumps?
These lamps are impossible to aim correctly.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason I don't want to go back to H6054 glass diffuser (i call them) lens bulb units is the low beam is only 35 watts...

Lenses on sealed beams lamps aren't "diffusers"; those are Fresnel lenses and are used to shape the beam correctly. And while wattage alone does not determine a lamp's performance, GE has the H6054NH, with a 65W high beam and 55W low beam. Beyond the wattage is that these have twin axial filaments and excellent focus (with focus being a much stronger determinant of a lamp's performance). The focus is a combination of excellent filament precision, excellent reflector precision, and the Fresnel lens that shapes the beam. Also, they have aiming bumps on the lens so that you may properly aim them.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Pop-ups don't always pop up to exactly the same position. If we're talking headlamp covers, I'll vote for the 1967 Thunderbird Fordor Landau that I once owned. A real metal cover in front of securely mounted and individually adjustable lights is my choice. Too bad they don't make as many of these as they did in the late 1960's.

If had that T-bird now, I'll bet I could find some great 5-3/4" options.

Last edited:

Ls400

Enlightened
I found some acrylic covers for a family member's car. I will be testing them out. They rarely drive at night anyway, but I told them to remove the covers in the evening before a drive. I read that acrylic blocks UV... Wonder how the lamps will look in a few years.

Edit: I won't be purchasing them for use at all since they will likely be used illegally.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some acrylic covers for a family member's car
Because those acrylic headlamp covers (whether smoked or clear) are not legal as they render regulated motor vehicle equipment inoperative (they take headlamps out of compliance), they should be removed before driving.

Spray the outside of them with DayGlo(R)​ orange (and maybe attaching some "remove before take-off" signage to them), and they can't help but see them and know they will need to remove them before driving at any time. It'll also block more light (especially UV) from hitting the real lenses.

Not coloring them means eventually they'll get lazy and leave them on when they go somewhere and find themselves having to drive back in the evening or at night. They'll need to get into the habit of removing them before driving the car *at all* and reattaching them when parking.

Last edited: