Headlamp is Bestlamp

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you too. Dog walking and outdoors, I also prefer being able to swing my beam around freely without having to move my head to point.

Good point. I've always preferred handhelds because I can instantly aim the light where I want rather than having to point my head and adjust the headlamp until it is aiming where I want it to be. This can be quite important since you often look in a given direction by moving your eyeballs rather than turning your head. Having to turn your head can feel somewhat unnatural at times. Also, with a handheld, I don't have to worry about flashing other people.

Even the ZL headlamps I think would be awkward (to me) to hold pistol grip style as flashlights. That said, I might try one someday to see if I could get over it, because frankly, when it comes to versatility, those look hard to beat. I like versatility, but I don't like compromises, so I'm hard to please.

That's why I have an SC62w in addition to an H600Fw. Carrying an H600Fw on a hike just isn't something that is comfortable to do for hours at a time. But with this said, there are still good uses for an H600Fw out of the headband. For instance, in a tailstand, it makes quite a good lantern/work light. FAR better than trying to use a handheld light for the same purpose. The light won't roll. And it makes better use of the available light to have the emitter raised up from a surface.

Last edited:

lumicycle

Newly Enlightened
...there are still good uses for an H600Fw out of the headband. For instance, in a tailstand, it makes quite a good lantern/work light. FAR better than trying to use a handheld light for the same purpose. The light won't roll. And it makes better use of the available light to have the emitter raised up from a surface.

I know...one of the many reasons I'd like to have one! Just not convinced I'd be satisfied if it was my only light.

(which leads me to question the premise of this thread...isn't the whole point of "flashaholism" and CPF for people who can't have just one light?)

Taz80

Enlightened
Besides bugs and glare, eyeglasses are not great with a lot of headlamps either as they can reflect flood light back.

I almost always wear a ball cap so the headlamp eyeglass thing doesn't bother me. If I,m not wearing a cap the Spark ST6's T shape extends the bezel beyond glasses so I don't get the glare.

stanleywen

Newly Enlightened
I've come to realize the headlamp is the most useful illumination device I own. It's not the smallest, or the brightest, or the furthest throwing, but it's what I use 95% of the time when I need a light. If I had to give up all my lights but one, there would be no hesitation as to what I'm keeping. Who's with me? Could you give up all of your lights, except one headlamp? (and be happy?)

Agreed. The headlamp is so convenient that's everyone should have one in the backpack. :thumbsup:
You can handheld a headlamp but you can hardly wield a flashlight.
You can do things with both hands when using a headlamp, but you can hardly do things with your month when have a flashlight one you hand.

mcs101

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I'm a big fan of Zebralight headlamps for off-trail hiking in the Pacific Northwest and much prefer the spot over floody as the spot versions "see" much further through the trees and brush (less light reflected back into your eyes).