Headlamps for mining

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if any of the manufacturers on this forum makes Exs I: IP-54 certified industrial headlamps.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
are there any flammable gases in your mine? if so you'll need a lot more than ip54, which is only dust protection.

if not, than look for lights used\build for speleology. they are usually water proof, not just dust proof

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
are there any flammable gases in your mine? if so you'll need a lot more than ip54, which is only dust protection.

if not, than look for lights used\build for speleology. they are usually water proof, not just dust proof
There is some methane and carbon dust mixture. Guess, the workers were exposed to danger working with their old lamps :O u Not my mine, but I guess it would be cool to have a mine or two :D I'm searching for the friend of my boss.

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Scout24 :)

Well, here is what they require for protection: I M1 Ex ia I Ma and IP-54. I'm researching, but if anyone can share some info, plese do .

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a hand held made by 'night stick' that meets those requirements using certain approved batteries.

Just wanted to see if they make head lamps.
They do.

Check out the night stick site for specific models and what all they are rated for.

I heard of them via a couple of coal miner friend of a friend type deal and bought a handheld for inspecting storm sewers due to being safe in a methane/air mixture incase my sniffer gets it's wrong.

Last edited:

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
There are other criteriums, too, bykfixer. Let me paste them :

Tehnical requirements:
- Voltage : not less than 3.2V
- Battery capactity: Not less than 4 Ah
- Battery usage time: not less than 12 h
- Battery type: baterija- Li- Ion
- Light source: LED
- Cary options: Belt or helmet cary ,with direction adjustment option
- Cable lenght: maximum 1,3 m.
- Weight: maximum 600gr.
-Work conditions: Working in heavy duty conditions with constant presence of explosive mixture od Methane and carbon dust.

PROTECTION LEVEL: I M1 Ex ia Ma ; IP-54

bykfixer

Flashaholic

This is all of the codes listed on their handheld 5422 but I do not see IP54 on it.

Btw I did not intend to come off as a complete wingnut in my first post, but it was an attempt at humor at 6:00 pre-coffee Am.

But night stick products get favorable reviews and frankly this little 120 lumen hand held I use it mighty bright.

^^ the other side shows battery info.

Last edited:

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the picture :) I checked their website. Headlamps over there are all AAA powered. I'll contact them, maybe they don't have the whole product range online.
I'm fine in the morning, but it's 14:42 here now. I'm expecting mind failure in about 18 minutes :D

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what the ratings are, but am guessing since for fire fighters, being around flammables would be needed. Might call FoxFury and see if any of their models might work.

D6859

Enlightened
Sobwoofer made a review on Night Stick's Intrinsically Safe series here.

I don't have time to re-read the thread, but IIRC, the headlamp uses 3AA that must be approved so that it can pass a certain certification tests. I think li-ions simply won't pass them (higher voltage, higher risk of sparks leading to explosion etc.). The idea of mixing highly flammable gas, high voltage and unstable lithium doesn't sound appealing. I wonder why li-ion is listed in the requirements.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The petzl "Pixa" range have hazardous location ratings.
the Pixa3 and 3R are the most useful, having easily selectable wide floody and tight throwy beams

wildernessroadie

Newly Enlightened
Kinda surprised that Pelican hasn't been mentioned, I know they do specialize in industrial lights, as well as Streamlight.

My info might not be 100% correct since its been a while since I was involved with industrial safety, but from what I recall with all safety specs there is a minimum, but often the product will match a higher spec just due to the design. For example you can either have an intrinsically safe light that cannot spark, or you can fully seal the light (like pelican does with their twisty lights) and so you gain the hazardous enviro rating, as well as a much improved water-proofing. The older lights used the switch design to prevent sparking among other design features. But not all lights will end up with all the certifications, which is one reason why there are a lot of xenon bulb lights still on the industrial market.

From the looks of the specs there, they are looking at at least one shift worth of light (since you can't generally battery swap in the dangerous environment)

Hopefully that helps, I've learned a lot from here, figured I should stop lurking.