Heads up -- 9V Pak-Lite now has a warm white option...

nightshade

Enlightened
Add a cheap battery adapter, and its a extremely long running utility light. Add a gallon zip lock bag for waterproofing. I've given this rig to friends in the tropics. Great storm lights and improvisational lighting.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it's about usefully finishing off the 9v batteries that come out of my annual smoke detector battery replacements, along with the novelty (for me) of having a 9v battery light, along with such a light being produced by a company that I can "support" and in a CCT that I can enjoy.

Okay, fair enough. Though, there are plenty of CCT options for AA lights too. I can understand your other points, since it sounds like it's mostly for fun. I still don't get the practicality for emergencies; if you're scrounging for cells at that point, a flashlight is probably the least of your worries.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
And when the weeks are up and your AAs are dead, those 9V may look mighty tempting. And they'll be everywhere. With spares in drawers in almost every house.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, it's *highly* unlikely that any regular user on this forum would need to resort to one of these. That said, it takes up almost no space and capitalizes on the most common battery type you'll find on store shelves before/during/after a disaster just because so few devices use one.

There's also no denying that for $2 at the local Dollar Store, you've got enough basic lighting to last you through most power outages if push comes to shove.

TL;DR - stupidly useful if you like hedging your bets, just in case.

scout24

Flashaholic
Back to the warm white Pak-Lite options: When I ran my 5mm Yuji group buy a couple of years ago, I politely emailed Pak Lite and asked if they'd be interested in trying a few of each color temp I had. They were very receptive, I sent them like a dozen of each and they sent me back a completed light (high/low) of each color temp. I've modded a few as well, they're not too hard to swap the emitters in and the high cr-i Yuji's work nicely... 😁👍

Sos24

Enlightened
In all honesty, it's *highly* unlikely that any regular user on this forum would need to resort to one of these. That said, it takes up almost no space and capitalizes on the most common battery type you'll find on store shelves before/during/after a disaster just because so few devices use one.

There's also no denying that for $2 at the local Dollar Store, you've got enough basic lighting to last you through most power outages if push comes to shove.

TL;DR - stupidly useful if you like hedging your bets, just in case.

You are correct. Most here will have plenty for our needs, but that doesn't mean everyone we know or come in contact with will be as prepared.

I don't get it. You really only need a single AA cell to last you weeks. It has about the same energy as a 9v battery. Why do people like messing around with 9v lights, when a 1xAA light is already so efficient? One pack of Eneloops and a Zebralight SC5 or SC53 is enough for any emergency, and you have the option to go really bright and really dim if you need to. In moonlight mode, it will last for months.

The last 9v light I bought was about 20 years ago. (Similar to Pak-Lite.) I haven't used it in about 19 years.

I'm not bashing your choice, I just don't understand it. Scrounging 9v batteries out of smoke detectors doesn't sound like a very good plan, compared to simply having a pack of AA batteries available.

I agree, but I have some cheap AAA and 9V flashlights for two reasons:
- to give to others who may not have prepared but find themselves in a situation.
- if something happens and I lose what I normally would rely on, then I want other options. Losing/Evacuating homes during hurricanes or wildfires could be for weeks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I ordered one of the warm whites. It will be interesting to see how the 6 AAAA's in the 9 volt battery work, compared to some of my high CRI 2AAA's lights.

Bill

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I really don't need one, especially at the price, for years I've had a nagging hankerin' for a Pak-Lite. They serve their function well, and seem to be quality made. It may never get used, but I still want one... haha.

Scout - That was very cool of them! Also cool that you have some special, one-of-a-kind items straight from the company.

Are they any less bright than their regular white LED models? Curious because I bought some of those Yujis from you (5000K I think?) and am thinking about putting some in an old Icon Irix headlamp, the one with all 5mm LEDs. Those stock LEDs are pretty old, so I'm hoping to keep the same, or even gain a few lumens plus the hi CRI factor with this swap. Don't know what they used in the Irix.

Bill - Hello there! Good to see you, and I hope you're doing well.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
[QUOTE=Bill - Hello there! Good to see you, and I hope you're doing well.[/QUOTE

Good to hear from you too.I want to tryt out one of therse as a flashaholic

Bill

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice switch. L low, R med.

65tIFoc.jpg