Help a newbie with first MBI.

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have finally embraced the fact that I'm a flashaholic. Up to this point, I have only collected "big name" makes/models not realizing the wonderful world of custom lights....boy have I been missing out.

MBI has opened my eyes....they are absolutely awesome, and I need to own a few. Would anyone mind sharing there thoughts on where I should start....such as, which model. I do realize that I may be limited to what is available, but some input would be appreciated. I would purchase any model if available in brass or copper....but I don't believe any are available at this point.

Thanks in advance!

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I have no MBI, but the UI intrigues me.
From the research I have done, were I to pick one up, I'd look to start with an HF-R.
Good luck! Customs rock.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the HF. It's always on my keychain. A very solid light.

HFandDB01.jpg

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have finally embraced the fact that I'm a flashaholic. Up to this point, I have only collected "big name" makes/models not realizing the wonderful world of custom lights....boy have I been missing out.

MBI has opened my eyes....they are absolutely awesome, and I need to own a few. Would anyone mind sharing there thoughts on where I should start....such as, which model. I do realize that I may be limited to what is available, but some input would be appreciated. I would purchase any model if available in brass or copper....but I don't believe any are available at this point.

Thanks in advance!

re. 'where to start', you've described yourself as a newbie- are you familiar with using/charging li-ion cells safely?

I'm looking forward to the Zeus, personally

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
I put my name on the list for a Zeus....hope I make the cut. I really like the HF and HF-R...tough decision between the two. If you order a HF from MBI, will they install the tritiums if you ask?

cactux

Newly Enlightened
Just keep in mind that you *MUST* follow the instructions and it is not like the standard flashlights and you will be okay.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep in mind that you *MUST* follow the instructions and it is not like the standard flashlights and you will be okay.

Yup, you definitely do not want to run the battery down too much between charges or it will lose some of its power and awesomeness or plainly die on you. I do recommend you read up on lithium-ion battery safety, but the HF and HF-R are not likely to cause explosions or fire since they don`t use advanced circuits.

If you really want some of the more exotic materials, feel free to voice your wish on the HF thread or you can also PM guy directly to inquire. He might be running some extra batches in the future. Some flashlight dealers also have the HF and HF-R in stock and with luck they might have what you`re looking for. You can also check the CPF Marketplace; all sorts of lights and accessories are sold there, including HF's.

Yes, Guy does the tritium vial installation for a very small fee. I believe the option is listed on the order page.

As to which one to buy, I can only give you a description of what pictures do not convey well: The HF-R looks smaller (although all parts are 100% compatible) and so far the zoom head only comes in black (but there is a small possibility of a run in copper (or was it brass?) The best way to let Guy know is by voicing yourself on his thread. He realy listens and does everything he can to accommodate everyone.

As for the HF bolt style, it has the advantage of being anti-roll and tail standing very nicely, plus the trits are a great addition and visible from the sides, making for an excellent night table light (although the ultratrit tail has many trits and probably tail stands as well as the bolt style tail.

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
Well, after a LOT of searching.....I was able to find a copper HF with N219 (2mode). I can't wait to receive it!

Now I just need to figure out how to source and install some blue ice tritiums. Also, keeping my fingers crossed for a Zeus.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
COOL! Check-out the marketplace as well for people who sell/install trits... some of them could be near you.

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Cataract.

Does anyone happen two know the size of the tritium vials that will fit in the two locations on the tail of my HF?

I've seen 1.5mm x 5mm for sale, but wondering if they'll fit. I've seen another post showing 2mm x 6mm but can't find that size for sale.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they are 1.5 X 5mm trit slots, the 2X6 probably need extra machining... my memory is only so good, let me send the Unicorn to get some help

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Uni said you needed some info. I'd stay with the 1.5x5's as the 2mm cause issues. The vials aren't uniform in thickness, causing the HF slots to need boring out in many cases. The Ti bodies eat drill bits. So the smaller trit is the better choice, to fit into the slot and give room for centering when applying the Norland 61.

I'm sure Guy will chip in with some more information, but measuring one of my copper HF's indicates the 1.5 x 5 would be the best bet.

Norland 61 from RocketTomato in the MarketPlace is the way to go for installation. If you have a 365nm UV light source, that's the way to go for a quick cure. Otherwise sunlight will do the job but will just take a little longer with less intensity. You can use a piece of thread at one end to hold the trit in place while setting the other end. Then reverse it and set the end that had the thread. It has been a good practice to only glue the 2 ends, leaving the middle open for better intensity of light from the Trit. ;)

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Hi shilohsharps,

Thanks very much for the post and taking an interest in MBI flashlights :D
Looks like you've had plenty of great suggestions and advice.
Sorry I'm a little slow to reply, I was out of action due to a sports injury this weekend.

Unfortunately I'm currently out of both copper and brass but I hope to have some more of those in the coming months.
Please feel welcome to mail me via my website (links in my footer) or PM (on cpf) if there's anything else I can be of help with.

Thanks,
Tgwnn