• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help choosing my first McGizmo

Robe

Enlightened
Got it today.

This is the most incredible object I've ever held! No seriously, this thing feels and looks great. It's not as bright as I was expecting, but the color is pretty amazing.

I might have to save up and see if I can buy the XML and compare, sell the one I don't like the best. That said, I'm really happy. This thing is amazing.

Robe

Enlightened
Ok not going to lie. The likeness to a light saber makes me feel more than a bit awesome.

diesel79

Enlightened
I just picked up my first a week or so ago. I went with a HCRI Mule. The McGizmos definitely have a quality and solid feel to them. The way this thing can light up a room is awesome, although I use the low mode the most.. One huge wall of light, perfectly even across all of it. I smile everytime I use it.

Last edited:

DTF

Enlightened
Started off with a Hi CRI Mule and a Sundrop XR-U, strictly for photography. Then, ended up with both the 3V and 6V Haiku XML and a 6V XML Mule. It's hard to stop.

If you do go for a Haiku XML, you can just buy the head for the comparison. You might also want to consider giving one of the other battery paks a try. At the moment, my favorite is the 3V Haiku with the 1xAA battery pak using a Titanium Innovations 14505 battery from Batteryjunction. The proportions of the 1XAA body just seems to fit my hand better than the small 1x123. Plus, when Don comes out with his 1.5V head, I'm ready.

Did you get Don's coil tether? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?253427-Web-Coil-tethers-with-titanium-connectors Combined with the 1/4"-20 swivel (which is extra) this tether makes the Haiku virtually a body part. Never have to think about it. It's always right there on my wrist. And, not having to actually hold the flashlight in hand during these cold months is a god send.

Robe

Enlightened
I was THIS close to getting the coil. (Wish he had black still.) I might grab one eventually--I did have the foresight to get the upgraded clip.

DTF

Enlightened
I was THIS close to getting the coil. (Wish he had black still.) I might grab one eventually--I did have the foresight to get the upgraded clip.

Once you get one, the color won't mean a thing.

tran.senpai

Newly Enlightened
Sundrop looks really attractive, at least in usage. I like the physical appearance, at least on a screen, of the haiku more, but that's just preference. I can see where the sundrop would fit in with usage, and I can see some fun opportunities for photography. In general, it seems like the haiku might just be a more functional edc light for me, but it's so hard to judge as a reeeeeeally new entrant into the light world. Even the technical terms used have my head spinning.

I've been reading this thread all day trying to make the same decision you just went though, needless to say my head is spinning right now. I admit I know very little about flashlights making this decision even more difficult (and I'm usually terrible with decisions in general).

I'm basically looking for an EDC light but I haven't determined if throw or flood is more important. I find myself in situations where I like having the flood to see close objects but I also like having the option of lighting an object 15+ yards away. Sounds like I should just carry two lights :p and the way I'm thinking I'm going to end up with 3 different McGizmos before the end of the year)!

I'm intrigued by the HCri Haiku but from what Robe mentioned maybe the XML is a better choice. I would love to have my EDC ALSO be an alternate light source for photography but I think I'll just buy a HCri mule since so many people oare loving on the HCri :sssh:

I also can't decide on which battery pak to go with, my current light runs on 2x123 and the proportions fit my hand nicely. I worry that the smaller lights might be too small for me but I guess I'd get used to it.

So essentially I want someone to just tell me what to get!

Thanks in advance.

Robe

Enlightened
FWIW, I've not bought an XML and have been more than satisfied with the High CRI. (I really, really would love to see a high CRI mule in person, by the way!). For indoor use, I don't need the extra lumens. For outdoor use, I haven't really been in the position where I thought "I wish this were brighter." Bright rocks, but the high CRI is not dim, by any means.

Still, I haven't had the XML to compare, but in general I've been a bit wary of the cool LED cooling in most lights I've found in the past—hence my love of the high CRI. (And I still love the very warm color of incan. lamps.)

Edit, and if you want flood—the best answer is to buy a mule and haikum heh. If you want to go a bit more budget friendly, the surefire F01 (I think that's the model) fits right on the haiku and really adds a nice, soft effect to the beam and makes it a wholly different and useful light for new applications.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Sounds like I should just carry two lights :p and the way I'm thinking I'm going to end up with 3 different McGizmos before the end of the year ! ....

Get the Haiku. It will give a bit of both. Throws with a generous spill.
Can't go wrong with this.

Just to present a possible alternate viewpoint ... :devil: ... you mention that you may well be getting "a few" McGizmos. If that is truly the case, I would suggest to at least consider choosing one of the specialty "flooders" (SunDrop or Mule), paired with a "thrower" (Makai).

The Haiku is an excellent torch, without question ... and arguably the best for EDC, if limited to one light ... but all compromises involve trade-offs :)

tran.senpai

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I've not bought an XML and have been more than satisfied with the High CRI. (I really, really would love to see a high CRI mule in person, by the way!). For indoor use, I don't need the extra lumens. For outdoor use, I haven't really been in the position where I thought "I wish this were brighter." Bright rocks, but the high CRI is not dim, by any means.

Still, I haven't had the XML to compare, but in general I've been a bit wary of the cool LED cooling in most lights I've found in the past—hence my love of the high CRI. (And I still love the very warm color of incan. lamps.)

Thanks for the input everyone! Robe I'm glad you're happy with the High CRI. I'm still researching all of this, it's so much to take in! I think getting a haiku and a mule would fill most of my needs (walk the dog + photography). With the mule I feel like the High CRI would be perfect for photography but the "all-arounder" is still giving me trouble. I love the idea of Haiku + High Cri but I'm guessing the XML 6V Haiku makes more sense. Like Robe mentioned earlier I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with distance since I play ball with my dog at night so it's nice having a light in case she runs out of the lit areas.

I'll continue digging through more threads for more example of beamshots.

In the perfect world I'd get both for the haiku but then that takes precious money away from my other hobbies!

Thoughts?

Henry

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry. Did you consider the Haiku 6v in 119V. This boy throws a fair bit.

Archimedes also mentioned if you are getting 2 lights and concerned about throw, You should also consider the Makai 6V in XML. The reflector does a good job of throwing the beam really far and at the same time, the spill beam is large.

Last edited:

Paloa

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to get the high cri in 6v? That opens up new permutations that I hadn't been evaluating.

I am trying to decide between the XML and the high cri. I recently purchased a malkoff high cri drop in and will compare it with my hounddog and mdc. I am hoping that will help me make the choice when I can actually use these beams for everyday use. I understand not comparable to this platform, but I hope will help me realize what I value in a light.

I thought I understood 6v was only for XML so that was a plus on that side of the ledger. If available for both that helps.

tran.senpai

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to get the high cri in 6v? That opens up new permutations that I hadn't been evaluating.

I am trying to decide between the XML and the high cri. I recently purchased a malkoff high cri drop in and will compare it with my hounddog and mdc. I am hoping that will help me make the choice when I can actually use these beams for everyday use. I understand not comparable to this platform, but I hope will help me realize what I value in a light.

I thought I understood 6v was only for XML so that was a plus on that side of the ledger. If available for both that helps.

Hi Paloa, I didn't think this was an option but looking at this thread it looks like is. Granted I'm still in general very confused by all the different parts so I could be misinterpreting the thread.

Thanks Benchiew, I wasn't aware of this combo but it sounds like it could fit the bill quite nicely. Anyone else have any experience with the high cri in 6v?

DTF

Enlightened
It's certainly my understanding that the Hi-CRI Nichia LED is available in a 6V Light Engine.

I have two 6V McGizmo's, a Mule and a Haiku, and my choice for each was the XML LED. My thinking is that with a high powered 6V LE, you want the LED with the most light output.

As for which McGizmo first. It just depends on what your want to do. My everyday flashlight for the outdoors is the 6V XML Haiku. For photography, it's either the 3V Mule or Sundrop. Any serious photographer will need both. For things like looking for the nasty hidden thorns on my dog, it's the Sundrop. When it comes to cleaning her in the back of the SUV after a long hunt in the field, it's the Hi CRI Mule.

Of course, with any of these, be sure to get the clip with the 1/4" - 20 mounting hole. Also, just as mandatory, is a McGizmo coiled tether with the 1/4" mounting swivel.

Yesterday, after a very long 3+hour run in the field, Jaqi had some really hard stickers stuck in her fur and it getting dark and I had forgotten the Mule mounted on a photographers clip. Still, like always, had the 6V Haiku tethered on my arm and was able tie it up securely onto one of the hatch struts with the tether. Certainly didn't work as well as a properly mounted Mule, but, it did the job.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not a guru on this but I believe if you email Don and ask nicely, I think Don will try his best to accommodate your specific needs within reasonable grounds. What I meant is technically possible, I don't see any reasons why Don would not help. He sells tools and he prides himself in being able to provide one.

I am not sure if the 119 can be had with a 6v but I am certain the 119V can.
If it means to be able to help you make a decision, I will be happy to give you some amateurish beam shots of the various types if you want.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
Things are going to get even more confusing when I get up and running with the new AA converter as I will have in simple terms, a 1.5V, 3V and 6V converter to work with coupled with the Nichia 119, 119V, UV and Cree XM-L LEDs. And these converters and LED's can be assembled in light engines targeted to go in the Mule, SunDrop, Haiku and Makai heads. As for paks there are the AA, 2xAA, CR123 and 2xCR123 to select from. I am going to need to put together some sort of matrix that shows all of the possibilities for those interested and game at building their own but I don't want to scare away a newcomer who is looking for a light not a new language to learn. Perhaps a list of "standard build" lights as well as the matrix? :shrug:

tran.senpai

Newly Enlightened
I am not a guru on this but I believe if you email Don and ask nicely, I think Don will try his best to accommodate your specific needs within reasonable grounds. What I meant is technically possible, I don't see any reasons why Don would not help. He sells tools and he prides himself in being able to provide one.

I am not sure if the 119 can be had with a 6v but I am certain the 119V can.
If it means to be able to help you make a decision, I will be happy to give you some amateurish beam shots of the various types if you want.

Thanks for the offer, Benchiew. If you could post some beamshots of the 6V 119V Haiku vs. the 6V XML Haiku that'd be excellent! I'd be interesting in seeing the differences in the beams at a longer distance.

Much appreciated.