Help choosing powerhouse LED light…

flash_bang

Enlightened
Well, I've been wondering lately, what things do I want in a light? I've compiled a list of some of the things I'd like:
REALLY REALLY tough housing (think drop it off a building and it still works with nothing but a minor scratch)
impact-proof as far as the LED goes
LED
Really bright, possibly multiple levels
able to use rechargeables
pocketable
"tactical" switch - like surefire's
lanyard hole
pocketable

does anyone know of a light like this? I really like the L2's and stuff, but the more I'm reading and looking at lights, it seems to me that nitrolon lights wear better than the Al ones. If there is a custom light maker, what type of steel could be used with a thick coat of HAIII and have the underlying steel be bulletproof?
TIA
Have a good one,
Flash

flash_bang

Enlightened
Thanks! I think I'll keep shopping around. I forgot to mention that I'd prefer 123's or rechargeables…What about EDC's and the Orbs and stuff? Are those any good?
TIA,
Flash

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash_bang said:
Thanks! I think I'll keep shopping around. I forgot to mention that I'd prefer 123's or rechargeables…What about EDC's and the Orbs and stuff? Are those any good?
TIA,
Flash

AAs are as conveniently rechargeable as you can get.

If you really want super durable, you want a "plastic" light. Look at Streamlight, UK, and Pelican for more options.

Are you looking for a carry light or a tool light?

flash_bang

Enlightened
Mostly just a carry light. Why are the Al lights more popular than the Nitrolon ones, especially if they aren't as durable…
as far as durability the shot of a Glo-toob with the cap off, and having all that epoxy and the battery tube has really stuck with me. I'd like to get the durability of that type of light but with most of the features I mentioned.
TIA!!!
Flash

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash_bang said:
Mostly just a carry light. Why are the Al lights more popular than the Nitrolon ones, especially if they aren't as durable…
as far as durability the shot of a Glo-toob with the cap off, and having all that epoxy and the battery tube has really stuck with me. I'd like to get the durability of that type of light but with most of the features I mentioned.
TIA!!!
Flash

Plastic lights have a few issues:

1. Aluminum is MUCH easier to work with. Any Joe Schmoe with a mill and some bar stock can make a tubular aluminum flashlight. The plastic lights you see are all cast or injection molded. I'm not too up on the technology of this but I'm sure some here can tell you more if you want. Basically, it requires a huge outlay of money and is only really feasable for production numbers in the tens of thousands. While I suppose someone could take plastic bar stock and make a light, it hasn't been done by anyone other than modders.

2. Aluminum conducts electricity. Since flashlights run on electricity, that makes life easier. With a plastic light, you need to run wires for both positive and negative. Wtih aluminum, you can use the body as a common.

3. Aluminum conducts heat very well. Since LEDs produce heat and grow less efficient as they heat up, you want to keep them as cool as possible. You do this by sinking away the heat. Its much more difficult to radiate heat away when you have a plastic (good insulator) light.

Those are the biggies...

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
How about a Wolf-Eyes 6A Sniper Tactical Flashlight, with either (1) a 3.7V D26 Rechargeable 3W Luxeon drop-in or (2) a Cree drop-in? About 5" long, bright, durable, rechargeable, tactical tailcap.