Help me choose a headlamp for up close work and medium distance work conditions.

apples

Newly Enlightened
There have been many times where having a light strapped to my forehead would have made life so much easier. I need to get one, but what...

I would be after something that would be good for working on electronics projects up close, like checking resistor color bands and joining wires/soldering etc. And also for example going up into the roof space of the house to work up there. The headlight I have been looking at is one of the zebralight's with a flood beam. But I do not know if the very wide flood beam might be too much. It would also be nice to see a bit further down into the roof space etc.

Well I can suggest something. I have a samsung galaxy s2 phone. Using a flashlight app the LED flash on the phone can be used like a hand held flashlight. Honestly the beam width on this I think would be enough for the type of work I plan to do with a headlamp. For example with the phone about 12" off a wall/floor I get a nice wide beam spill that is about 16" to say 20". Mr Tan says this works out at around 67-80deg. beam angle.

So this is not anywhere near the wide beam (120) of the zebralight. But again, do you really need such a wide beam anyway??? I am of the thought that a beam angle of 70-80 would be pretty good as a minimum.

I guess I am asking instead of a 120 beam flood and loosing throw. What about a headlamp with 80-ish flood beam but more throw ( put the difference of 40 degree beam into more throw).

Are there any headlight that are about 80-100 beam width, with no hot spot in the middle.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
There have been many times where having a light strapped to my forehead would have made life so much easier. I need to get one, but what...

I would be after something that would be good for working on electronics projects up close, like checking resistor color bands and joining wires/soldering etc. And also for example going up into the roof space of the house to work up there. The headlight I have been looking at is one of the zebralight's with a flood beam. But I do not know if the very wide flood beam might be too much. It would also be nice to see a bit further down into the roof space etc.

Well I can suggest something. I have a samsung galaxy s2 phone. Using a flashlight app the LED flash on the phone can be used like a hand held flashlight. Honestly the beam width on this I think would be enough for the type of work I plan to do with a headlamp. For example with the phone about 12" off a wall/floor I get a nice wide beam spill that is about 16" to say 20". Mr Tan says this works out at around 67-80deg. beam angle.

So this is not anywhere near the wide beam (120) of the zebralight. But again, do you really need such a wide beam anyway??? I am of the thought that a beam angle of 70-80 would be pretty good as a minimum.

I guess I am asking instead of a 120 beam flood and loosing throw. What about a headlamp with 80-ish flood beam but more throw ( put the difference of 40 degree beam into more throw).

Are there any headlight that are about 80-100 beam width, with no hot spot in the middle.

The Armytek Wizard Pro has this type of beam with a 70/120 degree TIR optic. Currently my favorite headlamp.

However do not underestimate a pure flood beam for up close work. The best pure flood beam in my opinion comes from the Spark SD52 or SD6 series. You can also get an optional screw on reflector that will change the beam and make it a little bit more spotty.

Zebra light also has a great offering (H600f).