Help me choose an LED . . . and maybe a flashlight!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this. Still torn on the LED choice for a D25A/D3A. Maybe I should just buy one of each! Ha.
Me too;-) OK, I'll put it this way. If you forced me at gunpoint to pick only one and throw the rest in a dumpster.....

I think I'd probably stick the 519A 4500K in my pocket and drive off, although I know I'd be missing that sst20;-)

Bryan-ba

Newly Enlightened
Me too;-) OK, I'll put it this way. If you forced me at gunpoint to pick only one and throw the rest in a dumpster.....

I think I'd probably stick the 519A 4500K in my pocket and drive off, although I know I'd be missing that sst20;-)
Thanks. This helps. Not having had a high CRI light before, after talking the the folks at IG, I was just concerning about giving up so much output in a small light. I was leaning toward SFT-40 or maybe CSLPM1 before coming here, and then vicv helped the OSRAM climb up even, but you pushed the high CRI options up to the top, too.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. This helps. Not having had a high CRI light before, after talking the the folks at IG, I was just concerning about giving up so much output in a small light. I was leaning toward SFT-40 or maybe CSLPM1 before coming here, and then vicv helped the OSRAM climb up even, but you pushed the high CRI options up to the top, too.
lol. If only the Osram Would come in a high CRI, it is the only LED I would ever buy. It all depends on what your needs are. I'm not a person that uses a lot of high output, so I prefer good efficient lighting. The 519A or SST 20 4000k, or excellent if you want high CRI with good tint. But, the W-2 is so good when it comes to throw. I find that if I have a throwy light, I can use less output. And my battery last longer. Now in all honesty I usually don't use my lights for more than 30 minutes, so runtime isn't actually a problem. So I just like throw-based lights because that's what I like. Which is why I like the W-2 so much. Especially in small form factor, as they don't have the size of reflector or optic to get good throw. But they do with a small dye like the W-2.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually don't use my lights for more than 30 minutes... I just like throw-based lights
does your use pattern involve walking a dog in rural outdoor settings, and possibly off leash? ;-)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Often.
thanks.. makes sense that a throwy flashlight would be useful for rural outdoor offleash dog spotting.

I dont have a dog. The majority of my flashlight use is indoors and very close range. A floody flashlight, such as my Wurkkos TS10, suits this application.

otoh, for outdoor use, such as hiking, I prefer a single LED in a reflector, which lets me see farther away.

courses for horses.. indoors floody, outdoors throwy ;-)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.. makes sense that a throwy flashlight would be useful for rural outdoor offleash dog spotting.

I dont have a dog. The majority of my flashlight use is indoors and very close range. A floody flashlight, such as my Wurkkos TS10, suits this application.

otoh, for outdoor use, such as hiking, I prefer a single LED in a reflector, which lets me see farther away.

courses for horses.. indoors floody, outdoors throwy ;-)
"I don't have a dog"

I'm sorry

Btw. Completely agree on the use cases. I also often use a TS10 for the same thing. Or a minimag.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry
thanks, its Ok.. I have a cat.. ;-)

I get to visit my friends dog, he got a very cute Portuguese Water Dog puppy recently. She is still learning not to jump on me, and I have to beware that she likes to play rough.. My cat does too.. they both like to bite my hands ;-(

Bryan-ba

Newly Enlightened
The M150 has arrived, and initial impression upon unboxing is pretty good! The size is better than anticipated and I think it's going to carry really well. The UI of course is much more complicated than anything I have had previously, but it's not too much to remember and I have the basics down already. I need to take some photos of it before I start carrying it, because anything I carry gets beat up pretty quickly, unfortunately. That was one of the reasons I was considering the D3A. The titanium wouldn't show scratches as badly. Lol.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, its Ok.. I have a cat.. ;-)

I get to visit my friends dog, he got a very cute Portuguese Water Dog puppy recently. She is still learning not to jump on me, and I have to beware that she likes to play rough.. My cat does too.. they both like to bite my hands ;-(
IMG_0365.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fun Fact:
Your cat thinks you're a large, hairless cat who is absolutely pathetic at hunting prey. So it sometimes brings you gifts of food (dead rats) because your cat doesn't want you to starve! Best way to eliminate this issue.... Eat in front of your cat as often as possible. Once it realizes you're not on the verge of starvation, it'll stop bringing you food.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun Fact:
Your cat thinks you're a large, hairless cat who is absolutely pathetic at hunting prey. So it sometimes brings you gifts of food (dead rats) because your cat doesn't want you to starve! Best way to eliminate this issue.... Eat in front of your cat as often as possible. Once it realizes you're not on the verge of starvation, it'll stop bringing you food.
Lol. Can't it tell by how fat I am that I eat plenty?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lol. Can't it tell by how fat I am that I eat plenty?
Nope! Cats have tiny brains and run on instinct!
On the bright side, your cat clearly loves you.
Otherwise it would let you starve, with your wimpy hunting skills. 😁

Bryan-ba

Newly Enlightened
The SC65c HI has arrived now, too. Initial impression is also pretty positive. Crazy small for an 18650 but the difference might be a little greater than I imagined just looking at specs. Haven't had a change to charge it up and put a battery in it but will tonight.

Here are some photos just because. First, my well worn and trusty LD09.
R.I.P.:
flashlight 14.jpgflashlight 15.jpg

M150, and M150 compared to another LD09 (LONG story...LOL):
flashlight 2.jpgflashlight 3.jpgflashlight 4.jpgflashlight 5.jpg

Nitecore EA11 , M150, and LD09:
flashlight 6.jpgflashlight 7.jpgflashlight 8.jpg

SC65c HI and then compared to M150:
flashlight 9.jpgflashlight 10.jpgflashlight 11.jpgflashlight 12.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats and thanks for the pics

will be very interested to hear your impressions, once you get a chance to use and carry the two lights..