Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast look on a new flashlight...

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast look on a new flashlight...

I am getting ready to purchase a new titanium EDC flashlight, and can't decide on the "natural shiney" or bead blast, finish options :thinking:

I know this is a subjective matter, but I have seen different lights that I like in either look. I can't decide, and I like both finishes. Before anyone says it..., NO, "I can't buy both", financially, that is not an option for me.

Other than aesthetics, is there any reason to choose one over another?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast look on a new flashligh

Bead Blast,everyone has shiny!
Oh and also it just looks better? To Me!!!

Add to that you have already had a buttload of shiny it is time to try something you might keep.....Not Shiny!

Last edited:

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast look on a new flashligh

Hi AVService,
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your opinion.
Others please let me know what your thoughts are. Your opinions are helpful.

cyclesport

Enlightened

Just my opinion, but I'd go with the polished finish since scratches can be buffed/Dremeled out fairly easily. Bead blast will be harder to see nicks and scratches but the average person cannot restore a bead blasted surface.

I've raced bikes (bicycles) for a few decades, and during the late 80's, early 90's titanium frames were the lightest, best riding bikes Pro level bikes. Carbon fibre was still heavier and less refined then, so Ti was the hot set-up. Most high end Ti frames were a fine brushed finish which gave the grey/brown metal a muted semi-shiny lustre and could easily be touched up and remove scratches by using 3M's Scotchbrite.

A few manufacturers made highly polished frames which required more work to remove blemishes, but could be done and those riding the bead blast frames all started to ultimately show thier age since nobody could ever successfully touch up that particular finish. Just my two cents.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just my opinion, but I'd go with the polished finish since scratches can be buffed/Dremeled out fairly easily. Bead blast will be harder to see nicks and scratches but the average person cannot restore a bead blasted surface.

I've raced bikes (bicycles) for a few decades, and during the late 80's, early 90's titanium frames were the lightest, best riding bikes Pro level bikes. Carbon fibre was still heavier and less refined then, so Ti was the hot set-up. Most high end Ti frames were a fine brushed finish which gave the grey/brown metal a muted semi-shiny lustre and could easily be touched up and remove scratches by using 3M's Scotchbrite.

A few manufacturers made highly polished frames which required more work to remove blemishes, but could be done and those riding the bead blast frames all started to ultimately show thier age since nobody could ever successfully touch up that particular finish. Just my two cents.

Funny you would mention this!

I have 3 Ti Bikes and all are a blasted finish or maybe more accurately Mat finish and I take out all blemishes with a Scotch Brite pad as you must well know.
I am not sure how I would deal with scratches on a Shiny Bike?

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened

That makes a lot of sense cyclesport. Thanks for your opinion.

I use to do some road bike racing back in the day, (way back), and I liked the look of both titanium finishes then too! :hairpull:

cyclesport

Enlightened

Funny you would mention this!

I have 3 Ti Bikes and all are a blasted finish or maybe more accurately Mat finish and I take out all blemishes with a Scotch Brite pad as you must well know.
I am not sure how I would deal with scratches on a Shiny Bike?

Interesting. I too have owned several Ti frames over the years (Merlin & Seven, all brushed finish) and when once attempting to touch up a bead blasted frame for a friend using a piece of Scotchbrite pad that I used on my bikes...it took away the scratch, but looked subjectively worse since the repair left a different finish than the dull bead blast surface.

Perhaps your touch-up technique is better than mine (wouldn't be hard to do, lol), but I can't see how you could use a scotchbrite pad for a touch-up on a Ti bead blast finish and end up with anything other than a brushed spot, looking different than the original finish? Maybe the mat finish on your bike(s) is something other than an actual bead blast?

Polished finishes/scratches can be dremel'd out using a buffing wheel and a fine grit jeweler's rouge.

Last edited:

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened

I forgot to mention in my opening post that I am also thinking ahead to resale value of this purchase. It seems like you see more of the "natural shiney" finishes around, as AVService pointed out, and I wonder how that will influence potential buyers in the future (if I decide to sell it)...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast look on a new flashlight

Is stonewashed finish an option ... ?

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened

Is stonewashed finish an option ... ?

No, unfortunately not...On the other hand, it probably would have made the decision even more difficult for me :shrug:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Help me decide on Titanium "natural shiney" or bead blast

Most polished titanium seems to get very fine surface scratches easily, which is why I really like stonewashed finish, I guess ... :shrug:

Norm

Retired Administrator

My reasons for preferring polished exactly.

Norm

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

You like them both. One offers DIY capability to maintain the finish. The other doesn't. I detest the shiny look but it sounds like it's right for you.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so "cyclesport" isn't just a clever name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIpeW581rE

as to the OP, I'd go with blasted really because of what AVService said. Since I'm assuming we're dealing with a small-ish light, while there is the potential issue that cyclesport raised about the finish of the surface not matching, it's a small enough item that it shouldn't be hard to make the rest of the light match I'd be willing to bet. Now a bike frame that is inevitably a lot larger than a handheld flashlight definitely get something that you can easily and discretely polish out without losing any consistency in the metal, but, again, with a handheld light you can go over the whole light to make it match real quick if need be.

also, you could just delay your 'polishing'/'resurfacing' times to every so often so, as a result, you're only refinishing it whenever it gets way too scratched up and you aren't doing patches here and there at random times. that is to say, polish the whole light just once every six months so it looks really uniform? i dunno if I'm explaining myself well here

I assume you're looking at the Olight S10?

this post may be slightly hypocritical because I own a polished titanium 4Sevens Quark 123 light lol (but it is kinda scratched up)

cyclesport

Enlightened

tobrien's comment..."shouldn't be hard to make the rest of the light match"...got me to thinking. Get the polished version and a couple of sheets of ScotchBrite and give the entire light (after masking off the glass, switch, and other vulnerable bits) a good refinishing. IMO a fine brushed Ti item...weather it be lights, bikes, golf clubs, etc. is not only the most beautiful surface finish since it gives the metal that certain deep lustre. Then, when it gets scratched & dinged...a few quick swipes of the SB will have it looking showroom new in no time!

Not to mention owning a one-of-a-kind light.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

tobrien's comment..."shouldn't be hard to make the rest of the light match"...got me to thinking. Get the polished version and a couple of sheets of ScotchBrite and give the entire light (after masking off the glass, switch, and other vulnerable bits) a good refinishing. IMO a fine brushed Ti item...weather it be lights, bikes, golf clubs, etc. is not only the most beautiful surface finish since it gives the metal that certain deep lustre. Then, when it gets scratched & dinged...a few quick swipes of the SB will have it looking showroom new in no time!

Not to mention owning a one-of-a-kind light.

That a heck of an idea!
I have also been thinking about a Ti light and this would be a great way to open my choices up and get something not too shiny which is my preference.

Maybe I will even need to find one for each Bike too?

Thanks
Ed

cyclesport

Enlightened

That a heck of an idea!
I have also been thinking about a Ti light and this would be a great way to open my choices up and get something not too shiny which is my preference.

Maybe I will even need to find one for each Bike too?

Thanks
Ed

No prob...and good luck! I no longer have any functioning Ti bikes, but dude...a Ti commuter bike with a Ti light...too cool...with matching brushed finish...priceless!

Seriously though...you might wanna try it on a piece of scrap Ti tubing before you potentially ruin your new Haiku?