help me in opening fenix - e05 AAA

showly

Newly Enlightened
HELLO .. I want to swap the emitter of my fenix e-05 with a 220 lumen one . i already have the new emitter and driver. but the problem is.. i can get out the emitter from fenix head, no matter what and how hard i try.. it wont come out. is it glued ? or what ? i dont want to destroy the original emitter and board. does anyone have any experience ?? can you share ?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure I understand your problem exactly.
I have changed the LED, but not the driver. The actual LED emitter is soldered to the round MCPCB (metal core printed circuit board). Are you trying to swap entire emitter boards and driver boards? Swap a new emitter already on a board? Swap just an emitter? Having trouble just opening the head?

Changing just the LED requires a reflow soldering technique. The round LED board should come out of the head after unsoldering the 2 wires, there should be a dab of thermal compound under it.

Attachments

• IMG_3185 copy.jpg
    IMG_3185 copy.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 117

showly

Newly Enlightened
that is not the e-05 i own ( multiple model may be ?) , i have a ss edition and aluminium edition aaa lights . my problem is i cant get the driver out of the head . seems like it is not screwed in . may be glued and screwed. ??

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_010738910.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220414_010738910.MP.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20220414_010808119.jpg
    PXL_20220414_010808119.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 110

fulee9999

Enlightened
that is not the e-05 i own ( multiple model may be ?) , i have a ss edition and aluminium edition aaa lights . my problem is i cant get the driver out of the head . seems like it is not screwed in . may be glued and screwed. ??
have you tried putting a needle nose plier into those two holes and turning it?

showly

Newly Enlightened
have you tried putting a needle nose plier into those two holes and turning it?
ya . already. it is not turning.. and the edges of those holes do got damaged a bit. tried the same on two lights . no luck

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pull out the driver since you have a new driver. Tear it up then pull out everything else. It's probably press fit in there then epoxied.
Easiest thing is to order a host from fasttech or aliexpress and build one.

pc_light

Enlightened
... may be glued and screwed. ??
If it's like other old Fenix/47s I've come across it's both. The driver and led reside in a sort of threaded can that is thread locked into the head. This is what makes the Fenix lights able to withstand drops and other abuse.

As you've already discovered the board is too fragile to turn, you'll only destroy it if you do; which is an option if you already have a replacement.

In some models those solder points you can see are soldered to pins that actually connect to the LED PCB. If so, they would need to be desolder before the board will lift off. It's possible that desoldering from the emitter side will be adequate. In any case the object is to lift the driver board out of the way so you can unscrew the can.

Once the driver is out you will be able to better unscrew the aluminum can itself out of the head with some pin pliers. A little heat to loosen the thread lock first might be needed but not too much because the optic is plastic.

Last edited: