HELP: My dragon lasers spartan 1w horrible beam scatter.

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
Hello I am seeking advice from fellow laser enthusiasts. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place here so excuse this rather repetitive explanation. I got the spartan 1watt blue laser from dragon lasers around the Christmas of 2012/2013 and it seemed to be fine. There where some noticible defects in the beam but nothing serious. Now after about 2 weeks of use I started to notice some pretty bad scatter. I tried to ignore it thinking it was dust. Eventually it got horrible. So I went online and tried all things to fix it including q tip and alcohol compressed air and even microfiber lens cleaners for cameras. Now this thing is near impossible to get to sense it's recessed like an inch. Anyways it's still the same scattered horrid looking beam to this date and 4 months ago I wrote dragon lasers and was basically given the run around about how it should be professionally cleaned and it's hard to clean and easy to damage. Now I would not doubt from me being stupid and using q tips that there are scratches but the thousands of little dots around it just scatters the beam so bad it's actually no where's near as concentrated anymore. The effect is like smudged and scratches with like dust or like stars effect. It actually looks like thousands of stars. If I aim this thing 50 feet away the scatter lights up a whole area. So yeah I'm pretty upset. I'm thinking I am probably gonna and up getting another laser in place of my spartan. Anyways any ideas?:confused: Here are pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/87811337@N02/

Last edited:

Eidetic

Newly Enlightened
Were the pictures taken before or after you started trying to clean it? Did it get better or worse when you worked on it?

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
It got worse so i am thinking i damaged the lend unfortunately.:oops: Anyways thanks for the advice and I'll be definitely getting more lasers in the future and being more careful. Will post when I have them.

Eidetic

Newly Enlightened
I'd try and take it apart to get at the output lens or window. Nothing to loose, right? Can you post a pic of the output end?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall, the Spartan has a plastic or acrylic lens. I do not know the threading on it.

edit: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/burnt-out-lens-spartan-1w-advice-big-images-75766.html

I *think* "Frank" is the fellow who they are in contact with at DragonLasers. So, apparently you could use any standard glass hobby-style, or aixiz style, laser lens coated for 445nm.

It would be up to you to screw it in just right. Too far or not far enough and you end up with flashlight and not a laser.

If you know of someone that offers basic laser repair services, you could probably have them install the lens for you if you do not feel like doing this. These lenses are fairly common, and better than the plastic ones that apparently come with the spartans.

Last edited: