HELP! READ IMMEDIATELY! LI-ION FUMES

JoshAGS

Newly Enlightened
So I was deconstructing two li-ion batteries, one from an old blackberry torch and a new one from a DSi. The torch battery was bloated and dead, no charge what so ever. The DSi battery is very new. SO my problem is that I was deconstructing the one from the blackberry and I smelled a sweet fume, I didn't take a full breath and instantly went to grab a medical mask. I put on the mask but I was still able to smell it can at this point I was fearing that the fumes are toxic. I quickly disposed of both batteries and read a lot of things about venting batteries and assumed the worst. It was 7:20pm when this started to happen and now it's 2:00am. Non of the symptoms I saw happened. But I'm still worried and wondering if it is hydrogen fluoride gas which can leak from batteries according to almost everybody. It said delays are normally 10-30 minutes but nothing happened, delays can also take hours and days. After I smelled it even with the mask on, I quickly disposed of the batteries (already mentioned) out side of my house in the trash can and aired out my room with several fans. I'm still hesitant to sleep in their so I wont. I just want to know if anything I inhaled is dangerous and if I should expect something soon. Please get back to this soon, I really need to know before anything bad happens if it is possible.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JoshAGS,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe you are going to be OK.

The issue with HF comes when the chemistry is ignited. Since you didn't experience excessive heating there is a good chance you weren't exposed to HF.

Tom

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Just my take on it, but I wouldn't be trying to disassemble any lithium ion battery without some expert knowledge. Maybe you do but I don't and will leave such tasks for people like CPF member HKJ here who do.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say "medical mask" are you talking the white fiber ones, or ones with a seal and capable of prevent gas inhalation? The paper ones offer no protection from HF. For what it's worth, I agree with the above posts that you will be ok. Do you keep sand and a non-flammable container nearby? I also concur that if you are deconstructing without any proffessional training you may pay a very high price( cost of a battery vs being able to breath?).

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the fumes were severely toxic. You could have survived this had you choosen to contact a doctor or hospital instead of a forum. Well, lesson learned for your next live I guess..... yeah allow me a bit or sarcasm please ;)

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this was a lithium ion cell and you did not cause it to ignite at all, the smell was most likely the electrolyte. The electrolyte used in lithium-ion cells has a sweet smell - in some ways similar to that used in lithium primary cells. Did the battery get hot? Did you see any smoke?

Assuming all that happened is that you could smell a sweet smell, I would say you will be fine. Please don't cut open cells anymore. You could have been in a much worse situation!

Edit: Adding some helpful information about disposing of cells you have been messing with.
If you have cut open a lithium-ion or lithium-polymer cell (and I do mean a cell, not a battery pack), the cell is now unstable and you cannot just toss it in the trash - not even battery recycling trash. There is a risk of fire. If you have a large outdoor space you can make it safe. Take a bucket, fill it halfway with water and throw the mutilated cell in. Leave it overnight. The water will completely discharge the cell making it safe for disposal. This is safe because li-ion cells do not contain elemental lithium.

Some RC guys recommend adding salt (common table salt) to the water as well. This speeds up the process.

If you are going to make a habit of opening battery packs for repair or some other reason (not cells - just dont do it), have a bucket of sand ready and do it outside. If the cell starts to heat up, smoke or make strange noises, throw it into a metal bucket and pour the sand onto it. This will help contain the explosion/fire until it calms down.

For primary cells, I would ask other members to chime in....

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
B1F4D00B-C0D6-4E63-AC82-7B2C872A19BB_zpseoieczvg.jpg

He only made one post, never followed up. Sad to say, folks, we may have lost him? :awman::mecry:

Last edited: