Help with defective clicky SF TC

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so as some of you know, I bought a brand new L5. well sort of new. it was one of two display models at Gander Mtn. a local sporting/hunting good store. Their staff may know their guns but know diddly squat about their lights. they had stuff mislabled and many doubles of the same light on display.

anyway my L5 has a defective clicky tailcap. After playing around with it, the clicky gets SUPER sensitive. meaning just the slightest touch, not even enough pressure to depress the button, will turn the light on. sometimes it stays on and I havent even clicked it yet. after a little more clicking and jiggling of the rubber shroud, it goes back to normal. but then the tempermental state shows up again.

So I called SF and they are sending me a new clicky for free.

so my question is what to do with this defective clicky? I already took it apart and dont really see anything out of place. but is there an aftermarket parts that i can throw in this to make sure it works?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks. but those kinds of problems are not what i am experiencing. mine is having some sort of short. where it turns on with the slightest touch. then it goes away and functions normally. or worse case it turns on with the slightest touch and stays on. where I have to press the button and wiggle it around to turn it off.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
thanks. but those kinds of problems are not what i am experiencing. mine is having some sort of short. where it turns on with the slightest touch. then it goes away and functions normally. or worse case it turns on with the slightest touch and stays on. where I have to press the button and wiggle it around to turn it off.

If the situation is that bad, your best bet is to call up Surefire Customer service and have them send you a new, free, tailcap for your L5.

JimmyB

Enlightened
When the tailcap becomes ultra-sensitive it's usually because the metal "prongs" or "fingers" are making contact with the plunger too soon. I've had caps that behave exactly as you describe. Using something suitable (a paperclip will work), bend or pull the prongs away from where they make contact when the plunger is depressed. Some trial and error is involved.

This should make more sense when you disassemble it again and look over how it functions. Good luck.