High CRI and high lumens… have the cake and eat it too?

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I'm not one to ask for help most of the time, but here I submit myself to all you bright minds here on CPF -

I'm looking to purchase a "by the door" light, for grabbing to go out and check on the stock or investigate some of the odd stuff that goes on out by our boundaries…. We are 'out in the sticks' a bit on a small block of land which we farm.

The idea of this light is a bit in the vein of "all the lumens", but not to impress others. I'm looking for a lot of floody light with a bit of throw to do outdoor tasks for 10min to 60min max, such as checking on the extent of flooding, rounding up stock that have broken down a fence, etc. I'd probably just go a buy a Marauder 2, but The catch is that I highly value CRI. I've been jamming about CRI since my first flashbulb. While I know current technology can deliver, I'm specifically looking for a lot of high CRI light.

I've "done the list" and jotted some comments below, to fill in the details.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts and insults. :)

Purchase: Don't mind. Open to any option, even a custom if you twist my arm hard enough.
Budget: No hard limit. Yet. Gulp.
Size: One-handed operation. No bigger than the Maurauder 2.
Emitter: High CRI LED.
Power: We use 18650s extensively, but I'm open to any common rechargeable format, or custom battery packs.
Charger: I like the idea of inductive charging, but open to suggestions.
Lumens: Loosely heading for at least 4000-8000 of turbo, and 2000 continuous, as a minimum.
Flood vs Throw: A wide flood is a must, but I'm looking for some hotspot / throw as well. At this brightness that shouldn't be an issue though.
Distance: We'll never need more than 50-100m for this light.
Runtime: 60min at around the 2000lu mark would be a dream.
Durability: Not 'mission critical', but top shelf. It's gonna get a few knocks.
Switch: No easily accessible epilepsy modes. The less button-pressing the better - a selector ring would be perfect.
UI: At least three levels. Nothing fancy needed.
Material: Something solid. Metal does that job well. :cool:
Water resistance: Rain / oops dropped it in a puddle should be fine. More is better though.
Storage: Shelf by the door - I really like Foursevens' approach with the inductive charger base. That's super nifty

Some thoughts:
I hate strobe. Everyone hates strobe. And SOS. And any of the "epilepsy modes" that wicked, wicked manufacturers put in their light interfaces. If they must be there, at least bury them 10 feet deep where there's less chance of them ever being used! Ok, rant over. :poke:

I can be led to spend a large sum of money if you can convince me of the item's quality. :takeit:

This will be our brightest battery light next to the 4000lu Bosch 18v worklight, which is a good work light, by the way, but far too large for this use case. And the yard floods (mains power) are 28,000lu, so I do have some small idea of what I'm asking for….!

A couple of lights I have looked at and been swayed by so far:
  • Foursevens Maelstrom (Love it, but not completely sold on the brightness)
  • Olight Marauder 2 (Great interface, 10 points for that Olight, but it's not high CRI, and that gimmicky spotlight thingy... At least they buried the strobe a bit.)

3_gun

Enlightened
2000L for 60minutes is a BIG ask. Only light that I have that comes close is a Sofirn Q8 Plus. I have the 5000K temp & the CRI looks pretty good, I've seen claims for a 90 CRI in this temp but other than an eyeball test with other lights I have no proof. It can be had for under $95 w/batteries.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also be aware that on most lights the "Turbo" mode will quickly drop down as short as 30 seconds of runtime. Look at the runtimes for the next couple modes down. So if you need ~2000 lumens continuous, look for a light that has that as a normal "high" mode below the "turbo" mode; chances are better it'll actually be able to hold that level longer.

For an 18650 light I'd say you'd have to look at a 4-cell configuration, so it's going to be a fairly large light; and large size will also be necessary for enough heat dissipation to run at high lumen levels without rapid step-down.

Add in a high CRI requirement and it gets tougher. You might have to go custom.

3_gun

Enlightened
I went with the Sofirn cells, the claimed 16k/L with them is more than enough for my need from the light. Not sure how the extra amps would help anything other than turbo as Anduril uses 2 different management styles. For max run times at levels lower than turbo I believe a lower amp, higher capacity battery would be a better choice. If I understand Anduril correctly

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
@Jean-Luc Descarte Nice lead thanks!

@KITROBASKIN A ramping interface would be fine, just maybe not my first choice If I was being fussy.
For sure there is an element of dreamland here, so I am expecting a real-world compromise.

Also this is a 'luxury item' rather than strictly necessary to identify a cow. I can do that just fine with my other lights, but a "big boy" handheld floodlight would make it much easier, especially when working with two or more other people.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with the Maelstrom?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
.............................................................................................

Anyone have thoughts or experience with the Maelstrom?

You might send a message to Chauncey Gardiner, and see if he'll weigh in on this thread. He's a big 4-Sevens collector and probably has the Maelstrom model you're wondering about.

(which Maelstrom model are you asking about anyway?)

The newest Maelstrom that's sold on the Prometheus site is hi-CRI but I don't think it's got the throw or output you're after. (the single-emitter version, I mean)

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
You might send a message to Chauncey Gardiner, and see if he'll weigh in on this thread. He's a big 4-Sevens collector and probably has the Maelstrom model you're wondering about.

(which Maelstrom model are you asking about anyway?)

The newest Maelstrom that's sold on the Prometheus site is hi-CRI but I don't think it's got the throw or output you're after. (the single-emitter version, I mean)
Apologies @Stress_Test, I was talking about the Foursevens Maelstrom MX3F and MXS "Standby".
It's a good point about turbo, and why I named a continuous output. I don't like turbos at all, but I understand enough of both physics and marketing…!

The Foursevens Maelstrom MX3F is probably the closest light out there (and a lovely example, at that) - I guess I'm just pushing the boundaries to see what's out there.

I'm in no particular hurry, and am toying with the idea of making a light myself using multiple cells and multiple emitters. I have access to the most of the tooling and skills, and some of the knowledge, but to be perfectly honest I don't really have the time. It would take me a year or more of what little 'hobby time' I do have to get a single working prototype.
But a fun dream all the same. :cool:

@Chauncey Gardiner, would you care to share your expert thoughts on the Foursevens side of this?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MX3F is more a dedicated floodlight (the "F" in the model #)

...but there's a twist. It has a TIR optic that is made to be easily swapped out; it comes with a wide and medium optic according to the site. BUT, if you could find a narrow-beam TIR optic for it, that might get the throw you'd want.

Problem is, I did some searching just now and I couldn't come up with any triple-emitter TIR optics in that diameter (I found mostly 20mm was as large as it got).

The site doesn't say what brand or part # those optics are, unfortunately.

Apologies @Stress_Test, I was talking about the Foursevens Maelstrom MX3F and MXS "Standby".
It's a good point about turbo, and why I named a continuous output. I don't like turbos at all, but I understand enough of both physics and marketing…!

The Foursevens Maelstrom MX3F is probably the closest light out there (and a lovely example, at that) - I guess I'm just pushing the boundaries to see what's out there.

I'm in no particular hurry, and am toying with the idea of making a light myself using multiple cells and multiple emitters. I have access to the most of the tooling and skills, and some of the knowledge, but to be perfectly honest I don't really have the time. It would take me a year or more of what little 'hobby time' I do have to get a single working prototype.
But a fun dream all the same. :cool:

@Chauncey Gardiner, would you care to share your expert thoughts on the Foursevens side of this?
First and foremost - I am not an expert. I'm a fanboy/collector. There are many members here at CPF who are much more knowledgeable and therefore much more qualified to offer an opinion.

Reading Fuzzywuzzie's OP/wish list I see he'd like a light that produces - Lumens: Loosely heading for at least 4000-8000 of turbo, and 2000 continuous, as a minimum.

The MX3F has a listed Burst output of 2,600 lumens for 30 seconds. The high output is listed at 1,600 for 90 minutes. So, while the MX3F is a wonderful light, it doesn't come close to the desired mark/numbers.

Nevertheless, I think the MX3F is a great light and Fuzzywuzzies should purchase one asap. BTW, it's currently on sale. So there's that, and it could always be returned if it didn't evoke love at first light.

IMG_2602.jpeg

Picture provided for POP, size comparison, and because it's a great picture. :geek:

Last edited:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I think this is what Fuzzwuzzies is L@@King for -
Ah ha ha ha ha you got me good mate! That's going straight to the funnies folder! :crackup:

I do think that I shall most assuredly hasten my posterior unto the great courts of Foursevens and duly purchase mineself yon aforesaid X-ray light, whereupon mine neighbours shalt besmirch mine good name and reputation by virtue of the blinding blast of the light of Foursevens, mysteriously piercing yon unwitting bovine acquaintance.

Oh dear, I just found the Zebralight SC700Fd while typing this. Sacrilege! Sacrilege!

I might have to buy both now... :clap:

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
Maybe the Noctigon DM1.12
Dedomed 519a in the center for great throw, and high CRI Led of your choice on the 12 floody LEDs. Not sure it can sustain 2000 lumens though...

If the criteria include both flood and throw, may I ever-so-gently suggest that you consider two lights, with one of them being a dedicated thrower? Many excellent throwers don't require 2000+ lumens to illuminate at distance, and even if the thrower uses a cool white emitter, a high CRI isn't going to be of much real use at distances greater than 100 meters, because you're not likely to be able to perform much in the way of color separation at that distance anyway. My reading of the posts above suggests that two separate lights - one high CRI with a broad beam pattern, and one dedicated thrower - will satisfy the mission objectives better than a single light. Also, a single light combining the desired capabilities will of necessity entail significant compromise in the design, come at substantial cost, or both.

It's not my intent to rain on the parade; I'm just focusing on the mission objectives.