• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

High CRI Haiku for EDC, best configuration?

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
I am just getting back into custom flashlights after some time away from this space. I am considering a Haiku with the HIVE engine and a high CRI LED for EDC. What's the ideal configuration? I want to consider the pros and cons of each.

119V HIVE Haiku 1x123?
119V HIVE Haiku 2xAA?

Some other configuration?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are great. It's easy enough to weigh up the pros and cons but I'd also suggest you consider the single AA (with AA converter LE).
The Haiku is my favourite light and I regularly use a variety of LE, LED and pak combos but my EDC is a 119V (single) AA.
If you can settle for a high of 300mA (you might be surprised?) then it may well stack up very well.
I would say that it's my ideal configuration for EDC. At least it certainly became that way and has been for years now.

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
Both are great. It's easy enough to weigh up the pros and cons but I'd also suggest you consider the single AA (with AA converter LE).
The Haiku is my favourite light and I regularly use a variety of LE, LED and pak combos but my EDC is a 119V (single) AA.
If you can settle for a high of 300mA (you might be surprised?) then it may well stack up very well.
I would say that it's my ideal configuration for EDC. At least it certainly became that way and has been for years now.
The 1xAA is interesting. Does the 1xAA converter have super fast level changes like the 3S? I tried a 3S Haiku once, and I didn't like the speed required for level changes. Since then I have preferred the HIVE converter.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Hive you can adjust the mode change speed (toggle short interval) but at the default speed I haven't noticed much difference compared to a 3S or AA (I've changed many settings playing with the Hive but I've always left this one at default).
I must say that I prefer both the 3S and the AA over the Hive.
My lesser preference for the Hive aside; I feel that the AA 119V is a top choice.
For interest sake I (greedily) have four Haiku. 1AA, 2AA, and two 123 pak.

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
With the Hive you can adjust the mode change speed (toggle short interval) but at the default speed I haven't noticed much difference compared to a 3S or AA (I've changed many settings playing with the Hive but I've always left this one at default).
I must say that I prefer both the 3S and the AA over the Hive.
My lesser preference for the Hive aside; I feel that the AA 119V is a top choice.
For interest sake I (greedily) have four Haiku. 1AA, 2AA, and two 123 pak.
You're starting to convince me to try the AA converter. Any reason you went with the 119V over the 119? Is the 119 available anymore?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the 119 is no longer available.
The AA set up is definitely worth a go. If it doesn't make sense to you immediately in the way of output, mode spacing etc; I'd recommend letting it settle in first.
I've EDC'd lights of varying sizes, styles and battery types including high output and customisable drivers.
The single AA LE has great battery and voltage versatility, although more practically NiMH or L91 (alkaline in a pinch, but I never do). The AA LE can even operate on 2xAA, CR123 or up to a 4.2V Liion (wouldn't recommend the higher voltages above ~3V though).
I find when it comes down to it; the form factor, battery type, beam pattern, mode spacing and output of the AA 119V Haiku make a lot of sense.
I'm a big fan of this light to say the least.

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the info. Is there any disadvantage to using alkaline over NiMH with the AA engine?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline can be prone to leaking being the main issue; possibly runtime performance also.
I generally use ~2000mAh NiMH (eneloop or Fujitsu) and occasionally L91 (energizer).