• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter for SST-50, SST-90

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
if the capacity ratings of those batteries are correct ( I don't think so) then both setup will be very similar.
With 8.4V the drivers will work slightly more efficient

Diman

Newly Enlightened
driver received :) thank you !!
i will try to test it as soon as I find arctic alumina to buy here in Sweden...

Or can I test run the driver for a couple of minutes over 2 SST-90s from a car supply without potting to heatsink (and ruining the driver) ?
the first page says that heatsink is required if running one LED...

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hi,
should be no problem for a couple of minutes. But don't start your car engine, some cars have very large voltage ripples coming from the generator.

Best regards
Yitao

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
So if I understand this right, it is completely OK to drive single SST 90 with 9Amp driver connected to two 26650 li-ion in series (8,4V).....??

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
A little theory for beginners.....like me:wave:....

If I drive single SST-90 with "DW" 9Amp buck driver I need at least 3.9V (SST 90 input) + 1V (power drop) = app 5V input voltage.... am I right?
But what is the maximum voltage acceptable for single SST-90.
And then if I connect 2 or 3 SST-90 in series, what is the case now.....:whistle:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Have a look into the datasheet. It's all there.
As described in the datasheet "Input voltage must be at least 2V above output voltage".
You must stay above the minimum supply voltage of 6V as well. However due to voltage drop across the wire I recommend at least 7V.
For the maximum voltage you can use up to 22V.

If you connect more LEDs then you need to have at least an input voltage of: Number_of_LEDs * Vf + 2V and up to 22V

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
Have a look into the datasheet. It's all there.
As described in the datasheet "Input voltage must be at least 2V above output voltage".
You must stay above the minimum supply voltage of 6V as well. However due to voltage drop across the wire I recommend at least 7V.
For the maximum voltage you can use up to 22V.

If you connect more LEDs then you need to have at least an input voltage of: Number_of_LEDs * Vf + 2V and up to 22V

OK...this is clear now, but how will the driver know how much LEDs I have connected, so it wont drive single SST 90 with 11.1 Volts,
thinking that is connected to triple SST 90....
How the driver selects the proper output votlage in conjunction with the number of connected LEDs.
Or there is a driver for singe SST 90 and a driver for triple SST 90, and this has to be specified when orrdering...??

I have just read the datasheet, but I steel don`t understand....:(

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
it regulates the current, not voltage. If you hook up a single LED the driver will regulate current to 9A and the output voltage will set automatically to the forward voltage of the LED. With more LEDs the voltage will rise up at 9A.

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
OK...I give up...this is too much for me:confused:.
But OK I undersand that I can connect from 1 to 5- SST 90 and use input voltage from 7 to 22 volts,
as long as I have input voltage 2V above output voltage....and the driver will do the rest.

Am I right?

mret

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

It seems that since i don't have enough posts, i cannot PM you. So in that case... i would be interested in purchasing one of your 9A drivers. I have sent you an email to that effect earlier today and eagerly await your reply.

I am also quite new to the wonderful world of electronics. If I were to utilize a piezo switch to run this driver, what would i need to get it to work? I realize that piezo switches only produce a momentary signal and i would have to use a toggle circuit of sorts but I am unsure how to do this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Also i have searched the web for quite some time and although i have found a few apparently "simple" toggle circuit diagrams, I can't seem to wrap my head around them.

Thank you

wannabe333

Newly Enlightened
is there wiring diagram for this powerful driver?, pdf manual does not included diagram. Cheers

snijok

Newly Enlightened
DW, it seems to me that I fried the 9A buck driver that I bought from you. I used it to drive the thermoelectric cooler, normally not exceeding 15V 2A on input and not operating continuously, but recently I applied 19V from battery (6s of almost empty LiFePO4) and the driver gave no output. I have some suggestions why it could fail.
Is there any way for me to repair the driver? May I send it back to you for repair (and how much $$ )? Meanwhile I need another 9A adjustable driver, maybe even two of them. PM sent.
PS. Can you increase the input voltage rating of these drivers to 30V (next steps - 45V and 60V) ?

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
pm sent for repair.

There is no way to increase the input voltage to 30V or above with the current design. For higher levels I have to build a complete new driver which would be much bigger