• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter for SST-50, SST-90

Art

Enlightened
Sorry if it is a stupid question , but can I used one of this drivers do work with 2 SST50?

copperfox

Enlightened
I will wait for a multimode version of the 5A driver for my upcoming SST-50 build. I would love variable output using a potentiometer, but two mode is good also. If using a pot, how low can the output go? :popcorn:

Speaking of potentiometers, I already have some 20k log pots from a shark build I was going to do but haven't gotten around to yet. The biggest hurdle is that the pot has M9x0.75 threads, and it's difficult to find a tap in that size. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but not too knowledgeable about the intricacies of circuit design. If you tell me where to connect each wire it will be no problem. :thumbsup:

jamesavery22

Newly Enlightened
Re: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter LED Driver for SST-50, SST-90

Does any one have an example picture of the driver potted to the heatsink?

caledon

Newly Enlightened
Which side of the driver should be potted, the one with the big coil (input) or the other (output)? How much heat does the 9A version produce, ie how thoroughly the correct side should be potted to the heatsink? The pictures in the post #25 aren't there anymore.

Dexter

Newly Enlightened
Hi DW,

Sorry if you have already answered this question but do you any update on the ETA/status of your multimode SST-90 driver?

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Can you tell us which components have to be heatsinked on the non-inductor side?

I've received mine (thanks), but it appears the components on the opposite side to the inductor are all off differing heights. The smt components also have their tinned electrical contacts all the way to the top, so if I slap a copper disc to the back it's going to short some components and miss others (due to the height difference).

How did you heat sink your prototypes while you were testing?

Thanks.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
I'm usually potting it into the heatsink. The components doesn't produce that much heat so that the gaps can be filled up by the potting compound. It's still better than air. The heatsink surface is anodized and does not conduct electricity.

Heatsinking ist not needed during testing because the driver is not installed in a closed housing such as in a flashlight.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Re: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter LED Driver for SST-50, SST-90

In the datasheet, it is described that the driver has to be potted to the heatsink. Does it need to be in contact with the heatsink (with some thermal paste)? Or is fitment inside the heatsink enough?
If it has to be fitted in a special way, do you have a picture of this?

Driving just one SST90 BTW (but that doesn't seam to matter if I look at the efficiency trend, the amount of heat stays around the same level).

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
I'm just glueing/potting it to the heatsink as can be seen here:
IMG_5849%20%5B640x480%5D.JPG

copperfox

Enlightened
Der Wichtel are you still trying to create a multi-mode driver, or have you halted your plans?

Tootallhall

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
I ride a M/bike and wish to construct a relatively high power front light. I hear a reworked Maglite offers fantastic lumens/Euro. I also think they look cool. Am I looking at the right thread for potential component purchases, any suggestions?
Gut feel so far:
3 x P7's (2 flood, 1 spot) with a driver and dimmer module to offer 'dipped' spot beam? Li-Ion batt pack?
Adjust LED placement/Lens to dip flood beam?

Any idea's much appreciated:candle:

Johnbhutch542

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any of the drivers for sale yet? If not do you have any idea when you will have them ready? Not trying to rush you just wondering.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
looking forward to these as well, I have a regular and rebel 2D waiting patiently, levels are gonna rock

l

Do you have any of the drivers for sale yet? If not do you have any idea when you will have them ready? Not trying to rush you just wondering.

I'm not able to give any ETAs
I'm working on them. It's not easy to get from prototyping stage to the final product. I had some layout errors in the final pcb design so I have to redo the job and order a new batch of pcbs. This happened 2 times now.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see you working so hard on this project. A 6D and a SST-90 are already waiting in my shop ;).

rayman