High Powered "D" M@g Drop in *Updated with Prototype*

Visible EM Wave

Enlightened
Re: High Powered "D" Maglite Drop in *Updated with Prototype*

I'm still interested in two.

I'm ready to sell my car. Does anyone know if I can sell my car in CPF custom B/S/T? I did replace the head lamps with more powerful ones. I think it's still considered as a modded light related item? :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

By some time off in the future I might want one of these. Gotta pass my CDL driving test and make money for a while first!

But count me as interested.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just looking at another light, and... It's hard to believe that you can get more than 800 emitter lumens from 3 XR-E's, but you can't get 800 emitter lumens from the Quad die MC-E.

To me, the great thing about the original SST-50 version was approximately 1000 emitter lumens, so maybe 800 (optimistic) lumens out the front. About 20% more light than a MC-E or P7 based light, plus, no donut hole.

A single emitter LED M@g mod to stand up next to a ROP is what I was hoping for. A MC-E might be able to push more lumens out the front than a ROP because it can direct more light forward than an incandescent can, but it will generally be a lot of flood.

There are tons of multimode MC-E flood lights because the MC-E is floody by nature.

I guess I just need to see something different to keep my interest in this light. As of now the only thing different is that it fits in a M@g body.

flashfiend

Enlightened

How are you getting 1000 lumens? If the sst-50 was going to be driven at a regulated 2.8 Amps, you're not going to get much more output than an MC-E if any at all. I've got a couple of sst lights and honestly wrangling with their issues is what is getting me excited about this drop in. I really hope Mac builds this drop-in because it looks killer and will provide plenty of output for my needs.

I was just looking at another light, and... It's hard to believe that you can get more than 800 emitter lumens from 3 XR-E's, but you can't get 800 emitter lumens from the Quad die MC-E.

To me, the great thing about the original SST-50 version was approximately 1000 emitter lumens, so maybe 800 (optimistic) lumens out the front. About 20% more light than a MC-E or P7 based light, plus, no donut hole.

A single emitter LED M@g mod to stand up next to a ROP is what I was hoping for. A MC-E might be able to push more lumens out the front than a ROP because it can direct more light forward than an incandescent can, but it will generally be a lot of flood.

There are tons of multimode MC-E flood lights because the MC-E is floody by nature.

I guess I just need to see something different to keep my interest in this light. As of now the only thing different is that it fits in a M@g body.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

You first, then we can find out how many more we need. :p
Got a '4sale' sign on it as we speak. Seriously though. This is a bargain. It's only $20 more than a Malkoff and far more useable. In the big picture of being a flashoholic, $20 is neither here nor there. Neither is $89 if you think how much money is in your collection of lights. I've spent about $600 in the past 8 months, and that's only on 5 lights.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have mixed up feelings to this drop-in... :shrug:

While I have always been searching for a powerfull dropin for my Mags (currently all equipped with a simple Q5 dropin), this one costs nearly as much money as a complete smaller flashlight offering about the same.

I guess what stays is nostalgia for the Mag and runtime. Both have their point, that's true however and the dropin looks great!

The only aimed D-Mag I got is a brandnew 3D LED one, which was offered to me and which I won't mod, for the rest I've got a 2D & 6D... I would be interested in a C version, I have a 3C and a 4C which could take it. Will there be a C version? Does the age of the Mag matter, mine are from 1986?

What's about the lens? Will it have its own lens?

Norm

Retired Administrator

Now the question how many people would be interested in this at $89 Delivered (US)

1D size light powered via a single 18650 cell or larger.
Still interested in a single Li-ion drop/screw in.

Prepared to send a deposit or the full amount to ensure I get my hands on one.
Norm

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess it would make a good user mag. I suppose I am in. Is neutral an option?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

All right folks, here's how it is. Got an email from Mac this morning. He will make it if at least 20 people commit. Make a list.

I'm #1.

737mech

Enlightened

Ok i have decided I will commit
:takeit:
I'm in for a 1D size.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for one drop-in too (3 D/4 D) :wave:

MiniLux

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened

I'm as interested as everyone else. I just want to see some beamshots before I commit.

donn_

Flashaholic

Mac..is there any wiggle room at all on the input voltage? I'm thinking 2x LiFePO4 A123 cells.

flashfiend

Enlightened

#4 if he doesn't mind including an unmodified switch or offer one at a reasonable price with it. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Optik49

Enlightened

Very nice! I have a P7 in a 3D body that he made with the same cells. I use it nightly and I love it. If this drop-in is anything like it then your nuts not to get one. You can't go wrong with a MAC's Customs!

flashfiend

Enlightened

Very nice! I have a P7 in a 3D body that he made with the same cells. I use it nightly and I love it. If this drop-in is anything like it then your nuts not to get one. You can't go wrong with a MAC's Customs!

Does this mean you'll commit to getting at least one? :poke:

EndOfTheTunnel

Newly Enlightened

#5 Hi, this thread got me to finally register. I will happily commit to 1 unit for a 4D Mag. I have to see what other D Mags I have at home, so I might get another, but just one for now.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will most likely pass if it is a MCE or P7. I wanted a SST for the beam quality.

Maybe if you posted a beam shot, that might help.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Still interested in a single Li-ion drop/screw in.

Prepared to send a deposit or the full amount to ensure I get my hands on one.
Norm

All right folks, here's how it is. Got an email from Mac this morning. He will make it if at least 20 people commit. Make a list.

I'm #1.
I think you might be #2 look at my post above :nana:

I gather A 3D unit would be the same as for a single Li-ion? I'm a little undecided.
Norm

Last edited: