How about flashlights for kids for Christmas?

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I don't invest a lot in kids flashlights. They tend to lose or misplace them. My son at age 7 went to a Cub Scout camp out and promptly lost a very nice Gerber. After that I swore off expensive lights till he was older and more responsible. I take two approaches. First, I keep a supply of those HFT freebies. If those get lost or broken, then no big deal. In my ongoing effort to teach him responsibility, I still get on him if he loses one. My second approach is get a BIG light. For example I bought my son a rayovac LED that looks like a classic 6V lantern with a handle. Only this version is LED and uses 4-AA. This light is too big to get lost. Even when he dropped it in a field with tall grass, we still located it. He has managed to keep that one for over three years now.

zekeman

Newly Enlightened
Amazon has an energizer metal led light for about 9 bucks (EVEENML2AAS) 35 lumens and an 1.5 hour runtime. Push button tail switch. It comes with 2 alkalines, but you can buy a dozen Tenergy low self discharge AA Nimh for about $20
The question is how many chargers you need to buy. If kids are in the same family can they share a charger?

konsole

Newly Enlightened
I ended up going with the flashlights that Mark Anthony recommended, but thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kid just got this one. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1546821590.714997.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home Depot had a set of 4 2xAAA 50L pen lights for $10-ish. I swapped the alkaline cells with lithium cells and dropped one flashlight into each Xmas stocking.

Probably a waste of money, but I find some comfort in knowing that each of my kids has a working flashlight in their school bag. And my wife has one in the console of her car (although she already had a headlamp...).

I kept the 4th light for myself. It'll probably sit on my shelf until one of the kids mentions that they lost theirs...

--flatline

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great stocking stuffer, flatline, and I appreciate your pragmatic attitude, realizing that it's likely at least one of them will lose it, to be easily and happily replaced with your backup.

PartyPete

Enlightened
For young kids I wouldn't go much brighter than a AA type light. However with smaller lights the chances of them losing it is high as well.

Something like the Wowtac A1 is a nice idea for older kids, maybe 9 years and up. Bright enough, big enough not to easily lose and if they do it's cheap enough to replace.

If they can handle owning stuff like that for a few years then something a bit more extravagant when they are 15 or older would be fine.