How can I make a high lux red 650 lm or higher headlight?

MidnightDance

Newly Enlightened
I have never made my own light but I cannot seem to find what I want. Are there videos out there where I can watch and learn how to modify a light to make it have a higher lux or a deeper red color?

Etsu

Enlightened
Okay, this may be a useless comment, but in order to pump out 650 lumens in the red spectrum, you're going to need a huge amount of power and output. Lumens are defined by the human eye's sensitivity to various wavelengths. We are most sensitive to green, and not very sensitive to red. So, to get 650 lumens in red, you're going to need way more output than you would with a typical white LED.

I'm guessing you probably really want 650 lumens of light (i.e., it will be a bright light to the human eye). So I'm just warning you that you're looking at a lot of power requirements and probably a lot of red LEDs.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
only sst90 red will give you close number of lumens to your goal. 640lm. driven at full power. you can also make as many lumens with multiple leds. deep red are not as common as regular reds. brightest deep red would be 10w led engin lz4 led.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, this may be a useless comment, but in order to pump out 650 lumens in the red spectrum, you're going to need a huge amount of power and output. Lumens are defined by the human eye's sensitivity to various wavelengths. We are most sensitive to green, and not very sensitive to red. So, to get 650 lumens in red, you're going to need way more output than you would with a typical white LED.

I'm guessing you probably really want 650 lumens of light (i.e., it will be a bright light to the human eye). So I'm just warning you that you're looking at a lot of power requirements and probably a lot of red LEDs.

Interesting matter. I earlier thought about this when I compared my Fenix TK15S2 with red filter and Olight M20 crimson red light. With Fenix red filter the brightness of TK15S2 was lowered to 1/5 according to the lighmeter. Olight M20 Crimson is significantly brighter. Here I really understand 650lm of red light is very much. Propably requires the power of more than a 2000lm white light.

Last edited:

MidnightDance

Newly Enlightened
Sorry...I meant to say 650 nm wavelength.

Looking for the deep red color as bright as possible running on two 18650 batteries.

Any suggestions?

30,000 minimum LUX preferred.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red LED Cree emitter?
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10007033/1574705-cree-xp-e-1w-620-630nm-red-light-led-emitter-on 620-630 is definately red/orange with more of a leap towards the orange.

http://fasttechcdn.com/products/157/1574705/1574705-2.jpg

Light Source Type LED
Total LED Count 1
Light Source Brand Cree
Light Source Color Red
Light Source Model XP-E
Lumens (Max)
114 LM
Wavelength620-630 nm

Not the 650 lumens...but maybe this will help

That range (620-630nm) is a very far cry from 650nm in terms of cone stimulation and human visual sensitivity. Apples and oranges in fact.

MidnightDance

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone willing to help me lean how I can build the brightest 630 nm or higher red led flashlight running on two 18650 Panasonic/ orbtronic batteries? Or, can I pay somebody to do it for me? I want to see how bright I can get a red light in this range of nm that is reliable.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may get a start by using the CPF/Google search box to look for Red/Orange M/\G mods by CPF user IsaacHayes. While I believe he is no longer active at CPF he did make some powerful R/O mods some years ago in the 530nm range IIRC. In reading those threads you may discover others who were interested in his work that may still be around.

You may also start a thread that directly asks who specializes in high powered red/orange mods in the subject line.

Hope this helps.

Oh dear, I just realized that my browser was cutting off the last word in your subject line. Sorry.

Last edited: