How do you make 2"x6" oval holes?

eggsalad

Enlightened
I have the opportunity to bid on a job to custom-retrofit a fleet of trailers to 2" x 6" oval LED lighting. This will involve welding in custom panels with the proper holes.

If I wanted to do 1 or 2 holes, I'd use a 2" hole saw and a jigsaw. But this involves making 48 holes.

Can anyone point me to a manual or hydraulic punch that makes the proper holes for the industry-standard 2" x 6" fixture?

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The use a set of dies to press out a 2"x6" slug would require a 250 ton or larger press in 3/16-1/4 steel. Die manufacturers that I've worked with over the years are Whitney Roper and Diacro. Again for new work, a punch press nibbler would work.

I'd use a Slugger magnetic drill and annular drill bits. Drill three holes and a cutoff wheel on a die grinder for finishing.

For limited new production, a CNC milling machine would take less than 2 minutes per hole with flood cooling.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the lamp maker not also sell a bracket suitable for the task? Is that materiel more expensive than the labor and equipment costs of fabricating new brackets/panels?

eggsalad

Enlightened
@NoNotAgain: Your proposal to have the panels CNC'd is one I hadn't thought of. I should easily be able to find a small-run shop to both cut the panels and the holes in them, thanks!

@Alaric: The panels are a weird shape. Yes, I could certainly do lighting that meets regulations using off-the-shelf brackets, but the owner wants a custom look.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Alaric: The panels are a weird shape. Yes, I could certainly do lighting that meets regulations using off-the-shelf brackets, but the owner wants a custom look.
Hopefully their custom look does not include recessing the lamps so deeply that they aren't viewable at the correct angles, or having similar design issues that cause unecessary obscuration or reflections.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Too bad you can't use 4" round units. Much easier and less expensive tooling! (Greenlee punch or drill press and hole saw)

eggsalad

Enlightened
Hopefully their custom look does not include recessing the lamps so deeply that they aren't viewable at the correct angles, or having similar design issues that cause unecessary obscuration or reflections.

Nope. I wouldn't bid the job if that was the case.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is easily done with sheet metal nibblers. if you know how to work the tool, if not, practice first on some scrap piece of metal, i assume the panel you talking about is a sheet metal panel, right? you can also try a router, with sheet metal router bits.

Last edited: